Reload this Page >

mobile phones in the usa

mobile phones in the usa

Old Sep 19th 2017, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

JosiesJourney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mobile phones in the usa

Hi all

Does anyone have experience of having had a phone contract in the UK (I am with vodafone - 5 months left on contract) and needed to cancel and set up a contract in the US....We leave in October so wondering whether to pay off the vodafone one which would be 5 x monthly fee and then get PAYG in the US. What's your advice and can you move your number over?

Thanks so much in advance

Josie
Old Sep 19th 2017, 12:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mobile phones in the usa

Originally Posted by JosiesJourney
Hi all

Does anyone have experience of having had a phone contract in the UK (I am with vodafone - 5 months left on contract) and needed to cancel and set up a contract in the US....We leave in October so wondering whether to pay off the vodafone one which would be 5 x monthly fee and then get PAYG in the US. What's your advice and can you move your number over?

Thanks so much in advance

Josie
No you cannot move your number. You will have required to settle/pay the remainder of the contract.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

You can't move a UK mobile phone number to a US mobile phone account. If you really need a UK number for friends and family to call you cheaply, you can set one up through Skype or the like for a modest amount. In theory if your UK mobile operator allows it, you could set up a call-forwarding redirect to a UK Skype number but you'd have to keep paying the UK operator's monthly bill.

Cancelling your UK mobile account is not connected to opening a US mobile account, except that if you want to take your existing UK phone to the US you'll need it to be SIM-unlocked and your UK operator will probably want the account paid off before they'll do that for you.

T-Mobile US and AT&T SIMs should work in an unlocked UK phone. Both operators offer PAYG or SIM-only contractless options.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

JosiesJourney is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both that's really helpful. Think I will have to pay off the contract, get the pone unlocked and take it over there with a new sim only deal. Gutted because I have had the number for 18 years!
Old Sep 19th 2017, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both that's really helpful. Think I will have to pay off the contract, get the pone unlocked and take it over there with a new sim only deal. Gutted because I have had the number for 18 years!
Are you moving permanently. I kept my UK phone and number and switched it on to a pay-as-you-go contract and then just got a new US phone.

That way I can keep my UK number should I need it again.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint
Are you moving permanently. I kept my UK phone and number and switched it on to a pay-as-you-go contract and then just got a new US phone.

That way I can keep my UK number should I need it again.
Make sure you meet the minimum use requirements of the phone company, otherwise the account will be closed.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Soko is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar situation (contract still had time to run when I left UK). This was on 3, so I just kept paying up my contract and with 3s 'Feel at Home' roaming policy I carried on making calls / texts and even using internet as if I was still in the UK. This was convenient as I had a lot of outstanding business to round up. When contract expired I just switched to pay as you go. I still receive the odd call on it and still make calls on it every now and again.

As far as USA is concerned, the pay as you go market as not as good as in the UK. In fact a lot of what is on the market is really similar to pay monthly contract which you 'renew' every time you top up. If you don't top up you also do not get calls.

If they have coverage in your area then have a look and MetroPCS or Walmart's 'Family Mobile'
Old Sep 19th 2017, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Your UK phone number will be useless in the US for most purposes. Most forms and websites that you may sign up for won't even support an international number.

If you're wanting a UK number for family/friends, a service such as localphone can forward calls to you. You may be able to talk to them and the possibility of porting a number to keep it.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

I think pay as you is the way to go. Until 8 months ago I was on a 'grandfathered' ATT unlimited data plan (one you cannot get anymore). Still I was paying about 80-90 a month. its funny how a bill is never the same with these phone companies and the usual excuse given is taxes vary - month to month!

So I did my research and opted for Cricket, with autopay I now pay $35 a month - no fluctuation in bill as it is a set amount. Funny how the service is identical I have had no interruptions in service like I did with ATT - and the irony is I believe ATT own Cricket!!

When deliberating I asked the Cricket rep what is the catch, her answer - 'Some people just like to pay more money for their phone service.' I agree its pure branding.

Oh and every time I was going to leave ATT before, they kept saying well on average you use 5-6GB of data a month. It really funny since I have been with Cricket and no change in phone habits or use I rarely reach 3GB hmmm

So I say find yourself a pay as you plan that works for you.

Last edited by vikingsail; Sep 19th 2017 at 3:11 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Make sure you meet the minimum use requirements of the phone company, otherwise the account will be closed.
Yeh thanks for the heads up. I'm back every few months on business so I use it to order myself a takeaway.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 11:19 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

What part of the country are you going to be moving too? That may constrain what networks you can pick from immensely!
Old Sep 20th 2017, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

If keeping the number is important to you, let the contract finish and then convert to a PAYG account. I was with Orange at the time - I think the minimum to keep the account live was to top up 10 quid every few months or so and/or make calls and/or texts. It didn't even have to be on a UK network, so easily done from the US. Just keep the SIM card and put into your phone once a month and make the occaisional text. Plus it makes things a lot easier for trips home and/or repatriation.

I managed to keep my number - I'm similarly attached as I've had it for 20 years now!
Old Sep 20th 2017, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

If you really want people to call you with your existing UK mobile phone number and also have a US number on the same phone for a reasonable cost, I only know of one option, togglemobile. They allow you to have a UK and US number on the same line. They operate a PAYG model.

FYI I think togglemobile uses the T-Mobile network in the US and the EE network in the UK

Last edited by mrken30; Sep 20th 2017 at 9:35 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
If keeping the number is important to you, let the contract finish and then convert to a PAYG account. I was with Orange at the time - I think the minimum to keep the account live was to top up 10 quid every few months or so and/or make calls and/or texts. It didn't even have to be on a UK network, so easily done from the US. Just keep the SIM card and put into your phone once a month and make the occaisional text. Plus it makes things a lot easier for trips home and/or repatriation.

I managed to keep my number - I'm similarly attached as I've had it for 20 years now!
I was lucky, I am on the Orange Virgin mobile tariff and have a line rental of £0 a month
Old Sep 20th 2017, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I have my Vodafone number back home on a Pay as you go plan. I'd luckily timed my departure to America at the same time my contract came to an end. I'm now on a sim-only deal here with T-Mobile, it's unlimited everything as was $100 a month with just me on it. Once my wife cancelled her contract with AT&T we put her on my plan and I now pay $100 for both of us a month! Great deal and service so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.