Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another kind of immigrant...

Another kind of immigrant...

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:34 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another kind of immigrant...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...C?OpenDocument

I know from reading this board how much of an issue moving to new country can be, even for people who are well adjusted, well paid and well informed about the cultural differences, even speaking the same (relatively) language.

Is there any hope for kids of this age who have suffered such trauma in their lives to overcome the horror of their past and lead a happy and productive life?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another kind of immigrant...

Back when my mother was a teacher (in Canada), her school would get a number of teenage refugees every year. It was very tough for the kids.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I hope the program works, these poor kids are not going to have an easy time fitting in. I can't imagine the horrors they escaped from and I really hope they are given a chance to grow up to be productive members in their new home
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:46 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I hope the program works, these poor kids are not going to have an easy time fitting in. I can't imagine the horrors they escaped from and I really hope they are given a chance to grow up to be productive members in their new home
I don't know how they figure out what school to send them to, wether it's where they reside like it is for everyone else or what, but the high school (Roosevelt) where the girl in the picture is going, is in the hood, and is known for being pretty rough. That can't make it any easier for them.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I don't know how they figure out what school to send them to, wether it's where they reside like it is for everyone else or what, but the high school (Roosevelt) where the girl in the picture is going, is in the hood, and is known for being pretty rough. That can't make it any easier for them.
It would be much easier for the kids if they had a transitional period, where they had a kind of 'home school' in a community center for a few months, just to get them settled first. They must be traumatised already having to leave their homes, without pushing them into a rough school not even knowing the language Poor kids, don't have much of a chance, unless it's done properly
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Historically it is not a new story. Russian pograms, German jews etc etc

As a general principal much more can be done for many more with the same amount of money in their own countries.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:52 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Boiler
Historically it is not a new story. Russian pograms, German jews etc etc

As a general principal much more can be done for many more with the same amount of money in their own countries.
In perfect world, yeah, but the trouble is that their own countries can't get their shit together.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Refugees tend to settle in low-income areas where crime is often higher than other parts of the city, sounds like it's on residence.

Wow what a lot of difficulties they face, I hope the program is successful with helping them. Unfortunate first comment underneath the article.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Bitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really nice

Great question and a very interesting article.
Ultimately it's down to the disposition of the individual concerned.
Past trauma can either strengthen or weaken.

Despite being thrust into an alien environment, I would hope that the cruel taunts of American teenagers is more manageable than seeing the horrors of war. Despite the horrors there are good kind hearted people throughout society who want to help. These include teachers and students.

Yes a lot may end up in gangs, but not all of them will and some will see this opportunity, no matter how strange it is, as a second chance of life. Some will go to make a success of their lives and I believe that even if only one refugee makes it through then of course it is worth it.

The human spirit is built to survive. The potential for greatness is there for all of us. Some of us have greater walls to knock down or climb over and only through determination can we achieve our goals. Success isn't about money, cars, houses and gadgets. It's about knowing who you are, and finding peace of mind - well that's my philosophy anyway

Somewhere in my mind I feel these kids stand a greater chance of success in the long run than a lot of pampered priviledged rich kids who don't know the meaning of hardwork. I employ a lot of students and believe me, their lack of knowledge in real basic lifeskills is shocking....