Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Was Mississippi a horrible nighmare?

Was Mississippi a horrible nighmare?

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:38 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Was Mississippi a horrible nighmare?

Hello to all. For those who thought their dreams had been answered and i had buggered off, HA! You dont get rid of me that easy. I missed Patricks wry wit and compassion for his fellow man too much!

Our move from Mississippi was successful, though stressful and even painful as I managed to put out my back lifting heavy boxes of books. I was a total spas for days and couldn't even walk to the bathroom, it was awful. Eventually however we made it to Boston and moved into a nice clean (though small), new apartment in Cambridge MA. Its been fun walking around the area (yes up here you can actually walk to the shops!) and we are settling in nicely.

We just got our broadband internet connection up yesterday and so i figured i would check in again and see what the craic has been for the past few weeks that i missed. Any big news? New job Patrick? Hows Lairdside doing? Certainly missed you guys and hopefully i can start annoying people again with my dreadful liberal views very soon! Still what do you expect i am at Haaaaavaaard! :lecture:

best wishes,

Duncan
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:40 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

glad you made the move relatively safely

talking of liberal, I have been as Conservative as can be my whole life, I come to america and now find myself a left-wing liberal - purely by dint of my moral standpoint!
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 1:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Mississippi a horrible nighmare?

Originally posted by Duncs
Hello to all. For those who thought their dreams had been answered and i had buggered off, HA! You dont get rid of me that easy. I missed Patricks wry wit and compassion for his fellow man too much!

Our move from Mississippi was successful, though stressful and even painful as I managed to put out my back lifting heavy boxes of books. I was a total spas for days and couldn't even walk to the bathroom, it was awful. Eventually however we made it to Boston and moved into a nice clean (though small), new apartment in Cambridge MA. Its been fun walking around the area (yes up here you can actually walk to the shops!) and we are settling in nicely.

We just got our broadband internet connection up yesterday and so i figured i would check in again and see what the craic has been for the past few weeks that i missed. Any big news? New job Patrick? Hows Lairdside doing? Certainly missed you guys and hopefully i can start annoying people again with my dreadful liberal views very soon! Still what do you expect i am at Haaaaavaaard! :lecture:

best wishes,

Duncan
So, how's the old hotbed of radicalism (well, compared to where you've been)?
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear the move went relatively smoothly - hope your back is better soon if not already!

Good luck with your new start
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 1:48 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Massachusetts , "Spirit of Bad Driving"!
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 1:30 am
Monkey

Trisha is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations on your escape!! Forget this evil state ever existed!!

Hopefully, I will be leaving in the spring...

Enjoy your freedom and I hope you find it much more to your liking up there.

Trisha (hellishly stuck in Mississippi)
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:10 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see you back Duncs, and also to hear of the successful move. It's been rather boring around here lately!
Just in time to go to Boston next week for the party!. Say hi to Teddy for me.

Hope the back thing is just a strain- I went thru a herniated disc and surgery for same 10 years ago and it was a bitch!
Backs are nothing to F*** around with (although that is actually one of the best exercises for them).
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:17 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
So, how's the old hotbed of radicalism (well, compared to where you've been)?
So far i have been petitioned by the Sierra Club and have donated to the Democratic National Convention, to in their words 'help beat Bush'. 10 months in mississippi and i hardly even new such people existed. Oh yes and no one has been lecturing/hectoring me about Jesus since i got here either.

On the social front things are up as well. Been here a week and we got invited to a cocktail party at the British Consulate and have a dinner invitation with the Consul General to come. At the weekend we are going to a party with Irish American Democrats to hear Senator Clinton give a speech. All in all my USA experience is vastly improved(in my opinion). Its a land of contrasts. Like Britguy said i was a tory most of my life yet i felt like a communist in MS up here i almost feel right wing again and its much nicer.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:21 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Originally posted by ironporer
Good to see you back Duncs, and also to hear of the successful move. It's been rather boring around here lately!
Just in time to go to Boston next week for the party!. Say hi to Teddy for me.

Hope the back thing is just a strain- I went thru a herniated disc and surgery for same 10 years ago and it was a bitch!
Backs are nothing to F*** around with (although that is actually one of the best exercises for them).
Thanks. Its an old injury from a car accident a few years ago. A stolen car crashed into me and i ended up parked inside a shop front! Walked away though my BMW 3 series coupe didnt do so well out of it! Since then i have had recurring back problems. Usually no problem but if i overstrain it(ie lifting too much) then it goes out and its painful. I couldnt even stand up this time and once i finally could i needed a walking stick to move around for a week afterwards. Awful. Next time the wife can lift all the heavy boxes!
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:52 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

So far i have been petitioned by the Sierra Club
The Sierra Club are always knocking on our door. I always tell them I can't vote and my husband doesn't like me to discuss politics. The annoying gits always knock just when we're eating dinner.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes and no one has been lecturing/hectoring me about Jesus since i got here either.

Life is so much nicer when you're out of that damn Bible Belt. Congrats on your move.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 7:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So far i have been petitioned by the Sierra Club and have donated to the Democratic National Convention, to in their words 'help beat Bush'. 10 months in mississippi and i hardly even new such people existed. Oh yes and no one has been lecturing/hectoring me about Jesus since i got here either.

On the social front things are up as well. Been here a week and we got invited to a cocktail party at the British Consulate and have a dinner invitation with the Consul General to come. At the weekend we are going to a party with Irish American Democrats to hear Senator Clinton give a speech. All in all my USA experience is vastly improved(in my opinion). Its a land of contrasts. Like Britguy said i was a tory most of my life yet i felt like a communist in MS up here i almost feel right wing again and its much nicer.

Good gods, it sounds like this was the best move ever!
Congrats on your escape & hope all continues on the above note.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 8:12 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

'i was a tory most of my life yet i felt like a communist in MS up here i almost feel right wing again and its much nicer.'

LMAO

hmmm, if only the winters were a bit better in MA.....

guess i'm staying in good 'ole tennessee! (with looney baptists and bugs the size of my dog)
Old Jul 24th 2004, 3:52 am
Unclear Engineer

indybrit is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Trisha
Congratulations on your escape!! Forget this evil state ever existed!!

Hopefully, I will be leaving in the spring...

Enjoy your freedom and I hope you find it much more to your liking up there.

Trisha (hellishly stuck in Mississippi)
I'm really curious now.
I've never been to Mississippi.
What kind of things make it such a bad place?
Old Jul 24th 2004, 10:34 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by indybrit
I'm really curious now.
I've never been to Mississippi.
What kind of things make it such a bad place?
Just drive along I-20 and see for yourself

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.