Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance - Deductibles Help

Medical Insurance - Deductibles Help

Old Aug 26th 2015, 2:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance - Deductibles Help

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Ours has an OoP max as above and we have an aetna policy. .....
Our BC/BS policy has an OoP. I didn't say that non-Kaiser policies don't have OoP maximums.

I did suggest that Kaiser policies might not have deductibles, as I have never been offered health insurance that doesn't have a deductible.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone explain how an HRA plan differs from an HSA plan?
Old Aug 26th 2015, 2:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Can anyone explain how an HRA plan differs from an HSA plan?
An HRA (health reimbursement ac) must be spent every year, more or less ("use it or lose it", very limited rollover is sometimes permitted), AND is tied to your employment.

An HSA (health savings ac) is permanent, rolls over from year to year indefinitely, and belongs to you, i.e. persists even if you switch jobs. You are only permitted to contribute to an HSA if you have high deductible health insurance.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 8:42 am
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
An HRA (health reimbursement ac) must be spent every year, more or less ("use it or lose it", very limited rollover is sometimes permitted), AND is tied to your employment.

An HSA (health savings ac) is permanent, rolls over from year to year indefinitely, and belongs to you, i.e. persists even if you switch jobs. You are only permitted to contribute to an HSA if you have high deductible health insurance.
Puklaski, do you know if someone that is not working or self employed would qualify for an HSA? I assume what is contributed to the HSA is tax deductible?
Old Aug 27th 2015, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by WJS
Puklaski, do you know if someone that is not working or self employed would qualify for an HSA? I assume what is contributed to the HSA is tax deductible?
I am not aware of any requirement to be employed to qualify for an HSA, and there are ACA plans that qualify as "high deductible", so I don't see a problem for someone who is self-employed in opening an HSA and making the tax deductible contributions - it's about $6,800 this year for someone married filing jointly.

Your spouse can also have one, at about half that rate, or so it would seem because Mrs P has had one, separate from mine, for six years.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 27th 2015 at 9:44 am.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 10:04 am
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Pulaski. It appears that we may be able to put in $10,200 a year as a couple which is good depending on the deductible of course and if we get ill.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Fatboyslick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
that's right, you can do this now. Not quite sure how you've managed without it so far!!

I did mine when I first arrived on L2 and before the EAD was processed so my SS card has a "not valid for employment without ead" written on it. I'm now heading back to the SS office with greencard to get that legend removed.

No I couldn't

Went to the SSN Office and they said I needed an EAD.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 5:49 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fatboyslick
No I couldn't

Went to the SSN Office and they said I needed an EAD.
No, they're wrong. Show them your I-94 and your visa in your passport.
from their website

If you are a foreign worker, we only need to see your I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) or admission stamp in the unexpired foreign passport showing a class of admission permitting work.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

We did!!

We thought they were wrong.
So the longer explanation is this....

The Agent was looking on his computer and said to us "it says here that I can only give you an SSN if a) you have a work permit or b) you can prove you married the L1 spouse prior to this trip to the USA"

So we proved the marriage but the problem was that we married IN America and it was May 2013.

The Agent interpreted this as NOT PRIOR to our current visit.
We were arguing with him saying that our marriage WAS before this trip but he kept saying "my computer says...." it was classic Computer Says No.

Being day one in the US I didnt want to cause a fuss and having found most of these types of services ran by jobsworths we couldn't argue any further. I need an EAD anyway so settled on that route...but now you've posted this Im thinking I should go back to the SSN Office
Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:03 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

We did!!

The Agent was looking on his computer and said to us "it says here that I can only give you an SSN if a) you have a work permit or b) you can prove you married the L1 spouse prior to this trip to the USA"

So we proved the marriage but the problem was that we married IN America and it was May 2013.

The Agent interpreted this as NOT PRIOR to our current visit.
We were arguing with him saying that our marriage WAS before this trip but he kept saying "my computer says...." it was classic Computer Says No.

Being day one in the US I didnt want to cause a fuss and having found most of these types of services ran by jobsworths we couldn't argue any further. I need an EAD anyway so settled on that route...but now you've posted this Im thinking I should go back to the SSN Office
Suggest you post this in the visa section of the forum. Somebody there may be able to give you specific advice about how to deal with this.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:22 pm

We did!!

The Agent interpreted this as NOT PRIOR to our current visit. .....
Assuming you haven't been living in the US since May 2013 it sounds like your I-94 records are incomplete. I'd go back to the SSN and show them your passport stamps. ..... Or was your wife's L-1 issued before May 2013?
Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Assuming you haven't been living in the US since May 2013 it sounds like your I-94 records are incomplete. I'd go back to the SSN and show them your passport stamps. ..... Or was your wife's L-1 issued before May 2013?
Both L1 and L2 issued in August 2015 and been living here 2 weeks.

Passport stamps may be a problem because we've both had new passports since the marriage - hers was renewed mine was a name change

I honestly think he was being a jobsworth
Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:38 pm
Austin. TX.

Your visas are in your current passports? These passports were issued after your marriage? Shouldn't be a problem there.

Your marriage certificate shows the date of marriage and your passports show your visas and date of issue.

Do you still have your old passports which show that you left the US after that last trip?
Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah I do
I'm going to head back to the SSN office