Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical - Diabetes

Medical - Diabetes

Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical - Diabetes

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Citizenship, or lack thereof, doesn't factor into it at all. Basically you still only have 2 options for medical insurance. A group policy through your employer or an individual policy. I don't think you have to go through the exchanges for an individual policy (please anyone correct if I'm wrong) - I think you could approach the insurance company directly to get a policy quote if you so chose.
I think you need to go through the exchange if you want/qualify for the subsidy though.

Anyway, on a tangent, has the OP gotten UK citizenship yet? If eligible, probably a good idea as the requirements to get a visa back to the UK have significantly changed since you did it.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I think you need to go through the exchange if you want/qualify for the subsidy though.

Anyway, on a tangent, has the OP gotten UK citizenship yet? If eligible, probably a good idea as the requirements to get a visa back to the UK have significantly changed since you did it.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the subsidy thing. I don't think we'd qualify for one, so it slipped my mind.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Kensington is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob

Sorry - I am feeling a bit stupid what is OP and what is the qualifying for the subsidy?
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kensington
Sorry - I am feeling a bit stupid what is OP and what is the qualifying for the subsidy?
OP- Original Poster.

Subsidy, is just that. If you qualify for it, to get it you get the insurance through the state/federal exchange other wise if you wanted, you could just go direct to the insurance company to get the plan.

And you can google what the qualifiers are for the subsidy.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
OP- Original Poster.

Subsidy, is just that. If you qualify for it, to get it you get the insurance through the state/federal exchange other wise if you wanted, you could just go direct to the insurance company to get the plan.

And you can google what the qualifiers are for the subsidy.
Thank I went online and was reading about the subsidy etc and now understand a bit more. No we are only just now starting to apply for him to get his US visa. Before I even started the process I need to get my head around how the US insurance works now. Things have changed since I left and this is the first I am hearing about all of this. Once he gets his US visa and we move to New Mexico I can apply thru this new health exchange until I can get employment then?
Old Oct 13th 2014, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
If they don't have a state exchange you go through federal healthcare.gov and the good news is they cant refuse you or raise your premium due to pre existing conditions. Moving to the States is a qualifying event so that's good too.
Okay I am seriously having issues now with this. It looks like a lot of the state exchanges dont cover people 71 yrs of age. Also it was my understanding that in 2014 insurance companies had to cover pre-existing conditions but I have asked a few and mentioned diabetes and they say its pre-existing and wont cover him. I think I was getting the same thing on federal healthcare.gov about the age coverage. We are moving over in a few months and I really am trying to get my head around all of this.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Okay I am seriously having issues now with this. It looks like a lot of the state exchanges dont cover people 71 yrs of age. Also it was my understanding that in 2014 insurance companies had to cover pre-existing conditions but I have asked a few and mentioned diabetes and they say its pre-existing and wont cover him. I think I was getting the same thing on federal healthcare.gov about the age coverage. We are moving over in a few months and I really am trying to get my head around all of this.
You may have to look at Medicare if you are over 65. One assumes having previously lived and worked in the US you would be eligible.

I don't know about Medicare, but all private insurance policies must be ACA compliant with regards to pre-existing conditions.

Perhaps try to talk to a healthcare navigator/guide in New Mexico, they should be able to give impartial advice.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
You may have to look at Medicare if you are over 65. One assumes having previously lived and worked in the US you would be eligible.

I don't know about Medicare, but all private insurance policies must be ACA compliant with regards to pre-existing conditions.

Perhaps try to talk to a healthcare navigator/guide in New Mexico, they should be able to give impartial advice.
The insurance isnt for me but him so Medicare wont work as he wont be eligible as he needs to live in the US for 5 years (British Citizen) . I think at some point I can give him him some of my quarters (need to look into it) towards him getting Medicare as I have worked the majority of my life but even then I think we have to pay for it.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The insurance isnt for me but him so Medicare wont work as he wont be eligible as he needs to live in the US for 5 years (British Citizen) . I think at some point I can give him him some of my quarters (need to look into it) towards him getting Medicare as I have worked the majority of my life but even then I think we have to pay for it.
I know little about Medicare, the rules are notoriously complex. I did find the following link, does this sound like a similar scenario?

Medicare Interactive - Mrs. H does not have enough working quarters to qualify for premium-free Medicare Part A.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Your husband will be able to get Medicare based on YOUR contributions if YOU are over 62 years of age and have paid 10 years (40 quarters) of Medicare payable employment.

He will get Part A free (based on your contributions) but will need to pay for Part B (doctors), C (supplement plans) and D (prescriptions).

If you have not paid enough contributions and/or you are under 62 then your husband MAY be able to pay for Part A plus B,C and D

Everyone in Medicare pays for Parts B, C and D premiums - and they are income based so the more you have in income the more you pay.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:46 am
Just Joined

ZeeGee is an unknown quantity at this point

Chiming in on the medication cost (because the health insurance still has me bumfuzzled so I won't go there), a lot of us from Arizona and New Mexico pop down to Mexico and get quality health care for very, very cheap, including medications.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ZeeGee
Chiming in on the medication cost (because the health insurance still has me bumfuzzled so I won't go there), a lot of us from Arizona and New Mexico pop down to Mexico and get quality health care for very, very cheap, including medications.
Really? If you can give me more information or PM me where you go if there is a particular doctor or where you get medication would be great. I am not at the ages yet to where I can give him any quarters so he can get Medicare and you also need to hold the green card/be a permanent resident for 5 yrs before you can even apply. Going on to the Health Exchange does cover anyone over 64 and they direct you to the Medicare section which your not eligible for until you have lived there for 5 yrs, At this point I am at a loss and really am not thinking much of Obamacare.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having problems getting my numbers down and the medication is just too expensive ($300/Mo for just one of them!).

NP suggested an insulin pump and is going to get someone toget in touch ewith me about it. I read up online and it seems that a small pump about the size of a pager retails for up to $6500 with supplies running around $1500 per year!

Whereon earth do they get and/or justify these prices????

I have insurance through work, but I don't know how much of it they'll pay just yet.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I'm having problems getting my numbers down and the medication is just too expensive ($300/Mo for just one of them!).

NP suggested an insulin pump and is going to get someone toget in touch ewith me about it. I read up online and it seems that a small pump about the size of a pager retails for up to $6500 with supplies running around $1500 per year!

Whereon earth do they get and/or justify these prices????

I have insurance through work, but I don't know how much of it they'll pay just yet.
R&D, stupid FDA approval process, 24/7/365 technical support, 24/7/365 nurse support, a month of personal training, 4 year warranty with next day replacement, durable devices that can take some punishment and still work accurately, and a few other things. The supplies work out at about $3ish for cartridges and a similar amount for the infusion sets but they are singles user and are only good for a few days due to a number of reasons. You still have the insulin cost a well, that will not be cheap and likely will be the most costly part.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am not at the ages yet to where I can give him any quarters so he can get Medicare and you also need to hold the green card/be a permanent resident for 5 yrs before you can even apply. Going on to the Health Exchange does cover anyone over 64 and they direct you to the Medicare section which your not eligible for until you have lived there for 5 yrs, At this point I am at a loss and really am not thinking much of Obamacare.
With all due respect, I do not believe this is a problem with Obamacare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.