Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Cover costs in Florida

Medical Cover costs in Florida

Old Aug 30th 2016, 2:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Cover costs in Florida

Originally Posted by gwensvilla
Try looking at img global policies...they're expat policies can be taken out for a couple of years..check them out on line..
But they're not ACA compliant, so if you're tax resident in the US you'll get assessed the penalty on your tax return.

Also, any policies based on international travel work on the assumption you'll be patched up and sent home, so they're useless for anything that requires a course of treat or follow-up procedures if you are living overseas.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

gwensvilla is an unknown quantity at this point

I am on uhc...but many of my fellow e2ers are on the img policies that are for people relocating to the usa with a view to residance there (not the travel policies)...and cover up to 2 years when they then need to transition...they are underwritten by one of big usa companies..(will check which one..can't remember..first health or something???not sure).with different deductibles co pays out of pocket etc...it's not a patch up and head home policy...
I will do some more digging..my hubby changes jobs October so I will be looking for myself (wouldn't qualify for img as I have been out of uk for 5 years)...looking like blue cross blue shield for me...
Old Aug 30th 2016, 12:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I am on uhc. ....
I don't know what "uhc" is. The rest of your post would be easier to read and understand if it was written and punctuated in English, rather than txt-ese.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the heads up..will definitely look into the non aca situation...!! That's why these forums are so great!!!

I am on uhc...but many of my fellow e2ers are on the img policies that are for people relocating to the usa with a view to residance there (not the travel policies)...and cover up to 2 years when they then need to transition...they are underwritten by one of big usa companies..(will check which one..can't remember..first health or something???not sure).with different deductibles co pays out of pocket etc...it's not a patch up and head home policy...
I will do some more digging..my hubby changes jobs October so I will be looking for myself (wouldn't qualify for img as I have been out of uk for 5 years)...looking like blue cross blue shield for me...
Old Aug 30th 2016, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry!! United health care.

I am trying to type with a problem on my arm/hand, so I was trying to be concise..ouch!!!
Old Aug 30th 2016, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

We used IMG when we first got here. I was on a J-1 and had insurance, but my other half (J-2) needed cover. I don't think compliance was an issue back then (no tax penalty; but we were UK tax paying at that time anyway)

Regardless, the policy showed:

INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL GROUP, INC. as agent for the Insurer
Insurer: SIRIUS INTERNATIONAL INSURANCE CORPORATION (publ)

And when I moved to H-1B status and other half to H-4, we had employer insurance kick-in. We cancelled the IMG policy before the end of the year and DID receive a refund (I guess the refund arrangements could be policy specific)

The "Product Type" we had was called "Patriot America®" and it certainly was NOT all encompassing like the US healthcare provision often is (even with deductibles/copays etc) but it was the low cost cover we needed to "get by" with less worry, as young and healthy people here at the time.

I pay around $450 a month for employer sponsored plans for us now, and $45 per month on top for dental. I did not bother with the vision plan. Only one of us has glasses, and we go to the Asda when we get home to have my sight and contact lens tests done. The Walmart Optical guys here accept the prescriptions from Asda Opticians who I have found to be excellent at what they do for FAR less than the qualified professionals here charge. Though I do wonder if their NHS sponsored care costs (in the UK) at some point should not be offered to me since this year I'll not pay UK taxes...???

One thing to watch for over here on healthcare plans... If you pay into one of the savings accounts then your company stops using that provider, I think you can lose the money... Pulaski or one of the more experienced members here can probably advise (or tell me I'm wrong!) - My employer did this; changed provider of contracted out HR services, and I think a few employees were unhappy that their saved money was going to be "lost"... Some accounts cannot be transferred? From memory I think there are FSAs and HSAs (Flexible Savings Accounts and Health Savings Accounts) and they differ in how they can be used, or closed, moved? I did find the first and second times I had to select the plans I wanted to use to be quite complex decisions. I'm sure it gets easier!

Last edited by Hanco; Aug 30th 2016 at 6:12 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Hanco
.... If you pay into one of the savings accounts then your company styops using that provider, I think you can lose the money... Pulaski or one of the more experienced members here can probably advise (or tell me I'm wrong!) - My employer did this; changed provider of contracted out HR services, and I think a few employees were unhappy that their saved money was going to be "lost"... Some accounts cannot be transferred? From memory I think there are FSAs and HSAs (Flexible Savings Accounts and Health Savings Accounts) and they differ in how they can be used, or closed, moved? I did find the first and second times I had to select the plans I wanted to use to be quite complex decisions. I'm sure it gets easier!
A Flexible Spending Account can be lost under certain circumstances, and must typically be used within the calendar year, or soon after.

A Health Savings Account is yours to use on permitted medical expenses and is yours to keep, indefinitely into the future and if you switch jobs and/or health insurance providers.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A Flexible Spending Account can be lost under certain circumstances, and must typically be used within the calendar year, or soon after.

A Health Savings Account is yours to use on permitted medical expenses and is yours to keep, indefinitely into the future and if you switch jobs and/or health insurance providers.
Thank you wise one

That suggests it was the FSA that some colleagues of mine held.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

DMECI is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the ongoing updates everyone... still seems pretty messy though !

I have read an article that says you can get a grace period as a non immigrant up to first 6 months and not get fined, but its still not very clear... and i would still have to compare a expat health policy to what i could purchase through the system in respect of coverage

Plus the added issue of what you do after 6 months as some expat policies seem to say you have to travel home to extend. Think I will get an expat quote and check and compare against a healthcare policy initially both in cost and cover... then decide if its worth the risk ;-/

Based on Pulaski's insight though Im thinking start as I mean to go on and get a "proper" policy (which will probably be subsidised slightly based expected income for first year of a new startup) and look into a HSA too...
Old Aug 30th 2016, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DMECI
Thanks for the ongoing updates everyone... still seems pretty messy though !

I have read an article that says you can get a grace period as a non immigrant up to first 6 months and not get fined, but its still not very clear... and i would still have to compare a expat health policy to what i could purchase through the system in respect of coverage

Plus the added issue of what you do after 6 months as some expat policies seem to say you have to travel home to extend. Think I will get an expat quote and check and compare against a healthcare policy initially both in cost and cover... then decide if its worth the risk ;-/

Based on Pulaski's insight though Im thinking start as I mean to go on and get a "proper" policy (which will probably be subsidised slightly based expected income for first year of a new startup) and look into a HSA too...
Yes, messy is not a bad summary!

Even WITH a "proper" policy as you call it, if you need to use it... There is fun to be had. If you find you have to be admitted to hospital for something (hope not) expect to start by showing evidence if your insurance (this gets waived if you collapse or have sharp chest pains I found!) then hand over a card to get swiped for your out of pocket expenses to be covered.

After your treatment you get lots of paper in the mail. It is a joy. Anyone who complains about the NHS and thinks the grass is greener here is in cloud cuckoo... You can end up with such things as a bill for the facility (the hospital building owner charging for your use of the bed space). A bill for the doctor who cared for you. A bill for the blood work. Another for drugs dispensed by the pharmacy. X-ray / cat scan company etc... You really don't know what they will be until they arrive. One might never get to you and then you get a demand for late payment. I had one for the full amount because they did not apply my insurance details to it... Nearly enough of a shock to put me back in the hospital!

The care is good though in my experience. After all, you're paying, and the more they do the more they get paid, plus they don't wanna be sued for missing something...

Think it all through and make the choice you feel balances risk best for your worry levels!
Old Aug 31st 2016, 12:01 am

Yes, messy is not a bad summary!

Even WITH a "proper" policy as you call it, if you need to use it... There is fun to be had. If you find you have to be admitted to hospital for something (hope not) expect to start by showing evidence if your insurance (this gets waived if you collapse or have sharp chest pains I found!) then hand over a card to get swiped for your out of pocket expenses to be covered.

After your treatment you get lots of paper in the mail. It is a joy. Anyone who complains about the NHS and thinks the grass is greener here is in cloud cuckoo... You can end up with such things as a bill for the facility (the hospital building owner charging for your use of the bed space). A bill for the doctor who cared for you. A bill for the blood work. Another for drugs dispensed by the pharmacy. X-ray / cat scan company etc... You really don't know what they will be until they arrive. One might never get to you and then you get a demand for late payment. I had one for the full amount because they did not apply my insurance details to it... Nearly enough of a shock to put me back in the hospital!

The care is good though in my experience. After all, you're paying, and the more they do the more they get paid, plus they don't wanna be sued for missing something...

Think it all through and make the choice you feel balances risk best for your worry levels!
And anyone who thinks they can skimp on insurance or go without for a short time, might be interested to hear my experience almost seven years ago. I got a scratch on my arm, which turned into a minor skin infection, which turned into an ulcer, and gave me blood poisoning. My doctor sent me straight to hospital for three days on an antibiotic drip and the most minor in-patient surgery under general anesthetic imaginable - two minor skin excisions to remove two small ulcers. The bill? Just over $20,000!
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Is this common? I've never been asked to hand over a card for out-of-pocket expenses.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 4:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
Really? Is this common? I've never been asked to hand over a card for out-of-pocket expenses.
No that is not common. I, nor anyone I personally know, have had to do this.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by kins
Originally Posted by Rete
No that is not common. I, nor anyone I personally know, have had to do this.
I've never heard of it either, but maybe it's linked to either your credit history and/or not having insurance?
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Yep we have had to do that, several times, maybe it varies hospital to hospital.
And it's a shock when you're bar code scanned in hospital, right down to a paracetamol, just like you're on a conveyor at walmart. (British naivety here)
Once we were told to pay your out of expenses pocket total, or take your daughter out of that bed and go home!!!
This was in icu in vegas!!!
I paid immediately and the lady returned with my receipt, smiled and said "you can stay here all year now"...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.