Reload this Page >

Manhattan advice

Manhattan advice

Old Sep 14th 2017, 7:06 am
Just Joined

Manhattan2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Manhattan advice

Hi all

First post here - I'm moving to NYC later this year with my family; wife, 2 kids and one more on the way in Feb. I know, I'm crazy.

The office is based in Manhattan (Midtown) and I'm currently searching places to live.

Upper West Side seems family friendly - anyone have any advice about schools and nurseries that won't bankrupt us?! Eldest will be 4 when we move, youngest will be 2.

Tempted by Brooklyn and Hoboken in NJ as well but it's a 2/3 year stint and would love to be on Manhattan if possible.

Thanks - any other tips welcome!
Old Sep 14th 2017, 7:45 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manhattan advice

Hi and welcome,

Do you have some budget estimates of what you are looking to spend on an apartment and/or schooling? The Upper West Side is not the cheapest part of town by and large.

Are you looking for private schooling? There is a British International School in Manhattan that starts about age 3, but US schooling generally starts at 5 though some have a pre-K class (half day) at 4. Do you have a preference for US or UK (or international) schools?
Old Sep 14th 2017, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

britinusa777777755 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manhattan2017
Hi all

First post here - I'm moving to NYC later this year with my family; wife, 2 kids and one more on the way in Feb. I know, I'm crazy.

The office is based in Manhattan (Midtown) and I'm currently searching places to live.

Upper West Side seems family friendly - anyone have any advice about schools and nurseries that won't bankrupt us?! Eldest will be 4 when we move, youngest will be 2.

Tempted by Brooklyn and Hoboken in NJ as well but it's a 2/3 year stint and would love to be on Manhattan if possible.

-
It all comes down to money really, my wife and I have a combined income of 160K and we could never afford private schools for 2 kids. I have heard most people go private in Manhattan with good reason.

We live in NJ without kids, but if we had kids. Many NJ towns have good public schools equivalent to the UK. Commute would be longer of course.

Park Slope, Brooklyn is a rarity in that it has half decent public schools, a park and it is in NYC (with subway lines too).
Old Sep 14th 2017, 12:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I know, I'm crazy. ...... Eldest will be 4 when we move, youngest will be 2. ...... would love to be on Manhattan if possible. ...
Not sure why you are so keen on Manhattan, with a young family. If I was in your situation I would look at Westchester, not because it's much cheaper (it's a bit cheaper, but not much), but because what you will get for your rent will be larger. In Manhattan apartments are often tiny as well as expensive.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not sure why you are so keen on Manhattan, with a young family. If I was in your situation I would look at Westchester, not because it's much cheaper (it's a bit cheaper, but not much), but because what you will get for your rent will be larger. In Manhattan apartments are often tiny as well as expensive.
He might like the city life I guess, being able to walk outside and have bars and restaurants. Perhaps he is making 300K a year in wall street, if so then he will be able to have a nice townhouse in Manhattan or a luxury 3 bedroom in Chelsea.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 1:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britinusa777777755
He might like the city life I guess, being able to walk outside and have bars and restaurants. Perhaps he is making 300K a year in wall street, if so then he will be able to have a nice townhouse in Manhattan or a luxury 3 bedroom in Chelsea.
I'm guessing with a newborn, two year old and four year old mum & dad will be drinking indoors rather than at the bar...
Old Sep 14th 2017, 1:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Welcome to BE.

I suggest you take a read through threads and posts by Englishmum. She lives in Summit and her husband travels into Midtown most days. She has posted excellent information about schools and transportation into NYC.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/members/englishmum-1486/
Old Sep 14th 2017, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

He might like the city life I guess, being able to walk outside and have bars and restaurants.
He could get that in Tarrytown for a lot less!
Old Sep 14th 2017, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

I suggest you take a read through threads and posts by Englishmum. She lives in Summit and her husband travels into Midtown most days. She has posted excellent information about schools and transportation into NYC.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/members/englishmum-1486/
Summit, Milburn, Short Hills are all fantastic towns on the same direct train line and being newbies with a 6 yr old we have found northern NJ to be super family friendly and beautiful. The school system is amongst the best in the country so if you are staying long enough for your children to start then l would seriously consider other areas outside of Manhattan unless going private.
As a family we easily pop into the city at the weekend but as an ex commuter l totally understand wanting to live nearer work!
Good luck with your move.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rpjs
He could get that in Tarrytown for a lot less!
You could visit all the restaurants in Tarrytown and you'd be stuck with visiting the same ones. The allure of NYC is a new place every night, new places opening up every week.

Also don't forget the ability to have world class restaurants that cost a minimum of $595 per person (excluding tax)

Masa
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You could visit all the restaurants in Tarrytown and you'd be stuck with visiting the same ones. The allure of NYC is a new place every night, new places opening up every week. ....
With children of 4, 2 and 0? There will be limited restaurants within a short walk, even in Manhattan, and I certainly wouldn't want to be carting three small children around regularly in a taxi.

Even at the OP's three year time horizon, they'll only be 7, 5 and 2-3.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 14th 2017 at 3:39 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You could visit all the restaurants in Tarrytown and you'd be stuck with visiting the same ones. The allure of NYC is a new place every night, new places opening up every week.

Having lived in that area all my life, there are hundreds of restaurants to try outside of Tarrytown and the Village of Sleepy Hollow in Westchester County. You don't have to go to the same ones over and over again unless they are your favorite places. The issue there is that, unlike living in Manhattan, one does require private transportation.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
With children of 4, 2 and 0? There will be limited restaurants within a short walk, even in Manhattan, and I certainly wouldn't want to be carting three small children around regularly in a taxi.

Even at the OP's three year horizon, they'll only be 7, 5 and 2-3.
Exactly. That Greek restaurant in Tarrytown is sounding better and better. It's cheap and it has outside seating!
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Exactly. That Greek restaurant in Tarrytown is sounding better and better. It's cheap and it has outside seating!
The food"s not bad and it does a booming business on the weekends in nice weather. Want a nice place for outdoor eating in Tarrytown then try Sunset Cove on the Hudson for lunch or dinner. Or if you just want drinks then the bar for the Washington Irving Boat Club which is part of the same complex.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The food"s not bad and it does a booming business on the weekends in nice weather. Want a nice place for outdoor eating in Tarrytown then try Sunset Cove on the Hudson for lunch or dinner. Or if you just want drinks then the bar for the Washington Irving Boat Club which is part of the same complex.
Actually I rate Santorini in SH as better for Greek food, although I agree the ambience isn't as nice. Best food of the whole Greek/Levantine/Eastern Med genre locally though is Irvington Delight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.