Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lost L1 job, Moving back to UK, things to do?

Lost L1 job, Moving back to UK, things to do?

Old Feb 10th 2016, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

theukguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lost L1 job, Moving back to UK, things to do?

Hello,

I anticipate losing my job soon and was wondering how I need to plan for it.

1. Should I transfer my money from US bank to UK bank?
2. Should i sell off my car and go with a rental car? Or is it better to wait until the last minute?
3. Can I keep my 401K as it is for now and get it back in the future? I dont need that money right now.

Is there anything else I need to plan?

Any experiences which you can share will be helpful.

Thanks
Old Feb 10th 2016, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lost L1 job, Moving back to UK, things to do?

1. Only takes a click, exchange rate is good now.
2. Guess that depends on how quickly you could sell it.
3. Maybe a question for your CPA?
Old Feb 10th 2016, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theukguy
Hello,

2. Should i sell off my car and go with a rental car? Or is it better to wait until the last minute?
3. Can I keep my 401K as it is for now and get it back in the future? I dont need that money right now.

Is there anything else I need to plan?
Sorry about the job situation. I returned to the UK after being on an L1 visa, but it was a planned move. My thoughts, for what they are worth:

1. You can do this any time you want, now or after you move back. There are no immigration or tax concerns in either country about moving money you already own between accounts, even in different countries. I gradually moved mine over a year, spreading risk on exchange rates and to help with removal costs.
2. I sold my car the day before I left the country, back to the dealership. It was owned outright, no monies due. It was a toss-up between them and Carmax; the dealership offered more money. Check how the payment will be made to you, and that you have time to bank the check before getting to the airport.
3. I left my 401k where it is only because I had so much other stuff going on in my life at that time it was low on my priorities. It may not have been the best thing to do, so hopefully others more experienced will offer good advice (and I will listen in).

Regarding anything else, if you are renting a house/apartment, check you have enough time to do any required actions before leaving. Eg I moved into a hotel for my last couple of days as I had to have all the carpets cleaned before the final inspection. Actually, co-ordinating the movers, the cleaners, the agents, my employers, selling furniture too big for UK houses & electricals, donating/giving away stuff I couldn't sell, returning the tv set-top box to Verizon etc was quite a task. How are your project management skills? Start sorting stuff NOW otherwise it will get frantic later on.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 4:11 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Sorry about that

That really depends on where and when you need to spend it. You can access your US accounts at any UK cashpoint and move it at any time. Do what seems most practical to you.

I would not leave a major sale to the last minute

Yes you can. It will continue to grow free of both US and UK tax. Then when you take it out you can have it paid to you in the UK and only UK tax will be due on the income.....I assume you are not a US citizen.

However, my advice would be to roll it over into an IRA with Vanguard. This give you a lot of flexibility and access to very inexpensive mutual funds.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 8:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought, but if you are laid off, you can apply for a "Change of Status", to B1/2 and you'll be in status while that is being processed and give you another 6 months.

Winding up your affairs is usually a valid reason for it to be granted, especially if you've got kids in schools or a house to sell, but it'll only work if you can show you can survive without working.

Either way, good luck, terrible situation to be in!
Old Feb 10th 2016, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun

However, my advice would be to roll it over into an IRA with Vanguard. This give you a lot of flexibility and access to very inexpensive mutual funds.
This is a good suggestion - Vanguard are very reputable and very cheap, and other expats have reported they're happy for non-US people to hold accounts there and manage them online from overseas.

I have heard, though, that it's not possible to set up an account with them once you've moved, only manage an existing one. So might be worth opening a 'just in case' brokerage account there, so you're an existing customer before you leave.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Just a thought, but if you are laid off, you can apply for a "Change of Status", to B1/2 and you'll be in status while that is being processed and give you another 6 months.

Winding up your affairs is usually a valid reason for it to be granted, especially if you've got kids in schools or a house to sell, but it'll only work if you can show you can survive without working.

Either way, good luck, terrible situation to be in!
Thanks. This information is very valuable.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Sorry about the job situation. I returned to the UK after being on an L1 visa, but it was a planned move. My thoughts, for what they are worth:

1. You can do this any time you want, now or after you move back. There are no immigration or tax concerns in either country about moving money you already own between accounts, even in different countries. I gradually moved mine over a year, spreading risk on exchange rates and to help with removal costs.
2. I sold my car the day before I left the country, back to the dealership. It was owned outright, no monies due. It was a toss-up between them and Carmax; the dealership offered more money. Check how the payment will be made to you, and that you have time to bank the check before getting to the airport.
3. I left my 401k where it is only because I had so much other stuff going on in my life at that time it was low on my priorities. It may not have been the best thing to do, so hopefully others more experienced will offer good advice (and I will listen in).

Regarding anything else, if you are renting a house/apartment, check you have enough time to do any required actions before leaving. Eg I moved into a hotel for my last couple of days as I had to have all the carpets cleaned before the final inspection. Actually, co-ordinating the movers, the cleaners, the agents, my employers, selling furniture too big for UK houses & electricals, donating/giving away stuff I couldn't sell, returning the tv set-top box to Verizon etc was quite a task. How are your project management skills? Start sorting stuff NOW otherwise it will get frantic later on.
1. I was worried whether my money would get stuck in a bank if online banking doesnt work
2. My car is on a loan. Will it be better to pay whatever is due and then sell it off or is it better to sell it as it is?

I have heard that for H1B visa the company is liable to pay for the flight tickets back. Anybody knows if that is the same for L1 visa?

Thanks for your feedback. It is very helpful.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 4:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard that for H1B visa the company is liable to pay for the flight tickets back. Anybody knows if that is the same for L1 visa?
H1B, they are liable for the primary, to get a flight home but nothing else.

L1 does not have that stipulation. It would be whatever you negotiated into your contract, so if you didn't get it offered in writing, you're SoL if they don't want to help.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What does you contract say?

If on line banking gives up the ghost going to be a pain for many people.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 4:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... 2. I sold my car the day before I left the country, back to the dealership. It was owned outright, no monies due. It was a toss-up between them and Carmax; the dealership offered more money. Check how the payment will be made to you, and that you have time to bank the check before getting to the airport. ....
What Yellowroom said.

Get prices from your dealer, Carmax, and any other similar business in the last week, then drop it off on the day you leave, and take a cab to the airport. A private sale ahead of time would likely leave you needing to rent a car, so even if you got a higher price you'd likely end up in the same place financially.

Many banks now allow you to deposit checks on-line using a photo, so if your bank does, set that up and test it so you can deposit the check you get for your car.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Many banks now allow you to deposit checks on-line using a photo, so if your bank does, set that up and test it so you can deposit the check you get for your car.
you do need to check the limit though - I got caught out as I could only pay in $3k max by phone app, and being with hsbc I was several hundred miles from my nearest branch. I ended up fedexing it to New York for deposit on the day of my departure.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 8:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

you do need to check the limit though - I got caught out as I could only pay in $3k max by phone app, and being with hsbc I was several hundred miles from my nearest branch. I ended up fedexing it to New York for deposit on the day of my departure.
Ugh. Good point!
Old Feb 13th 2016, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

1. I was worried whether my money would get stuck in a bank if online banking doesnt work
2. My car is on a loan. Will it be better to pay whatever is due and then sell it off or is it better to sell it as it is?

Thanks for your feedback. It is very helpful.
1. My online banking worked fine on my return to the uk, you should be ok. The internet is global.
2. Don't know, any clue from your loan paperwork on early redemption or selling the car with balance outstanding?

Flight costs - There is no legal requirement to do so. What does your contract say? My L1 contract specified that if the company terminated my contract for any reason other than gross misconduct, they would pay my repatriation costs. In the event, I came back at my own request so I paid for removal etc and used my annual paid "keep in touch" flight to get home.