Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looks like US citizens can travel to Cuba

Looks like US citizens can travel to Cuba

Old Dec 17th 2014, 2:45 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looks like US citizens can travel to Cuba

With the release of long term US prisoner, The White House is going to normalise relations. Including, allowing citizens to spend USD in Cuba.

U.S. Moves to Normalize Cuba Relations as American Is Released - WSJ
Old Dec 17th 2014, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looks like US citizens can travel to Cuba

Nice..I think I'd enjoy a visit.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Only 50 years too late but good to see it finally happening...
Old Dec 17th 2014, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't get too excited, I'm sure congress will vote to block it come January.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I wouldn't get too excited, I'm sure congress will vote to block it come January.
I think Obama's on the right side of this one and I have to laugh at stuff like this from Sen Rubio:

It's absurd and it's part of a long record of coddling dictators and tyrants that this administration has established," Rubio said.

Rubio said he would "make every effort to block this dangerous and desperate attempt" in his capacity as the Chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee's Western Hemisphere subcommittee, which he will assume once the new Congress convenes in January.
Yeh, they could well block it, but really the time for this is long overdue.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I think Obama's on the right side of this one and I have to laugh at stuff like this from Sen Rubio:

Yeh, they could well block it, but really the time for this is long overdue.
I dunno, I really think they are about to crack. I say we give it another 50 years.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 8:57 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Actually the Wash Post is reporting business travel only, no tourists for now.

What you will and won’t be able to do now that Obama is opening relations with Cuba - The Washington Post
Old Dec 17th 2014, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

In truth, Americans already outnumber tourists from any other country in Cuba. They just fly out of Mexico or Canada and Cuba does not stamp their passport.

I applaud Obama for this. The only thing that has prevented this from happening sooner is the Cuban vote in the all important fight for electoral votes in Florida. Running scared of old Cubans. The younger ones, born in the U.S., do not generally hold such disdain for normalizing relations with the country.

Those who go on and on about the Castro regime are either ignorant of history or choose to ignore it. The revolution took place against one of the most brutal dictators in the world at the time. Fulgencio Batista. Host to every Mafia boss in the country, recipient of massive U.S. aid that was in the form of weapons, thief, murderer who killed an estimated 20,000 Cubans over a 7 year period and recipient of U.S. corporate largess for giving over the country to U.S. corporate interests.

I think JFK said it best:

"I believe that there is no country in the world including any and all the countries under colonial domination, where economic colonization, humiliation and exploitation were worse than in Cuba, in part owing to my country's policies during the Batista regime. I approved the proclamation which Fidel Castro made in the Sierra Maestra, when he justifiably called for justice and especially yearned to rid Cuba of corruption. I will even go further: to some extent it is as though Batista was the incarnation of a number of sins on the part of the United States. Now we shall have to pay for those sins. In the matter of the Batista regime, I am in agreement with the first Cuban revolutionaries. That is perfectly clear. ”

— U.S. President John F. Kennedy, to Jean Daniel

I suspect most of the Cubans that fled soon after the revolution were those who were benefiting from Batistas' brutal regime. So they do not count. Now Castro did his share of wrong, but he was a pussycat compared to Batista. More than 50 years of failed policy. About time it came to an end. We do business on a daily basis with regimes far worse, and always have.

And of course, all Cubans have health care. Interesting article here about that. Cuba's Health Care System: a Model for the World | Salim Lamrani
Old Dec 17th 2014, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Actually the Wash Post is reporting business travel only, no tourists for now.

Oh good, tax deductible then...
Old Dec 19th 2014, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Might as well just move to Florida then , going to like Little Cuba there soon anyhow .
Old Dec 19th 2014, 3:55 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

US citizens go to Cuba all the time. You can fly to Cuba from anywhere but the US.

I understand Cuban customs welcomes US citizens snd doesn't stamp US passports.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
US citizens go to Cuba all the time. You can fly to Cuba from anywhere but the US.

I understand Cuban customs welcomes US citizens snd doesn't stamp US passports.
Very true. More American tourists there than from any other country. Just don't bring anything back.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 7:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Very true. More American tourists there than from any other country. Just don't bring anything back.
Or get caught spending money there :/
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Or get caught spending money there :/
That is actually the subject of the ban. Not going there, but spending money there. But you cannot go there and not spend money, clearly. Hotel, food, airport tax etc. But no one from the State Dept or anywhere else is following Americans around to check on their spending there. You sure cannot use a debit or credit card though, although banks are not allowed to accept transactions from there anyway.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 12:02 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I've talked to a few USCs who did get their passports stamped. So be careful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.