Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking into an E2 visa, but need information on kids

Looking into an E2 visa, but need information on kids

Old Apr 3rd 2018, 9:24 am
Just Joined

benelder1701 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking into an E2 visa, but need information on kids

Hello everyone, I'm new to BE, so please forgive me if I'm asking questions to which the answer may be posted elsewhere on the site. If anyone can point me to a more appropriate area of the site, your help would be appreciated.

My wife, my two children (aged 8 and 4 years) and I are looking to buy a business in Florida and run it. My experience is hospitality (have run hotels and restaurants for circa 20 years) and we have about $350k available to relocate, including buying a business and getting started with a home etc. I am familiar with the E2 visa and have a relationship with a couple of US business brokers who will be able to find me a suitable business which meets the visa criteria and which I would be happy to own and operate. My question is about moving my kids to US schools.

I can do the necessary research on school districts etc, but I wanted to know if anyone has been through the relocation process with kids of approximately the same ages as my boys, and what their experience was. Did your kids settle in OK? How did their education thus far in the UK stand them in stead for school life in the US? Did they enjoy the change?

As you can appreciate, this is a massive topic for us to consider before committing to a relocation, and any help anyone can provide would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking into an E2 visa, but need information on kids

Ooooh, you mentioned the key word, Florida. Get your tin hat on ready for the incomming :-)

We moved with a boy aged 7, 20 months ago.

The schooling is very different (in Georgia) - much more pre-1990's in style I would say. It will depend on how he learns best - for our child it worked well because he was not suited to the independent group style learning we were seeing in his UK school. In his school here it is much more through repetition. The downside is that he has much less opportunity to make as many friends as he did in the UK school as there is much less of a social aspect to the learning and school timetable as a whole.

Overall it took him a couple of months to settle, but he enjoys it now, mostly because he feels like he is achieving something now, whereas he was being labelled in the UK as a slow learner (he was, maybe still is to a degree, but this year he went from being behind the age group in Maths to a full year ahead by now).

Based only on my personal exposure, it's as they get into their teens that I'd be more concerned. The rinse and repeat method of teaching is fine until they get their own opinions and start having to apply critical thinking. My daughter has done well, but she found High School to be a case of just getting the credits and worrying about them turning up vs. challenging her.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 2:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benelder1701

As you can appreciate, this is a massive topic for us to consider before committing to a relocation, and any help anyone can provide would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Children of a similar age to yours seem to settle in well. However, it would seem that the bigger question surrounding bringing children to the US on the E2 visa is with regard to the fact that they will age out at 21, and have to leave the country.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

benelder1701 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks robtuck and Nutmegger for the information, really appreciate it. Both kids are probably what the UK system would term 'average' but both a very open to new things. Thanks again
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Age dpes not seem an issue, Florida schools do not have a very good reputation.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 7:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Schools in many states have poor reputations. Florida is no worse than other states within the union. A lot depends on where you live and the catchment area for that residence.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Children of a similar age to yours seem to settle in well. However, it would seem that the bigger question surrounding bringing children to the US on the E2 visa is with regard to the fact that they will age out at 21, and have to leave the country.
was wondering the exact same thing as soon as I saw E2 and kids!
Old Apr 4th 2018, 12:19 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Business brokers? Oh my.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 11:14 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

350k to buy the business AND set up home for a family of 4? 😲
Old Apr 4th 2018, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
No chance
Old Apr 4th 2018, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

maemaesmummy is an unknown quantity at this point

My kids were 9 and 7 when we moved so a tad older. Both kids have settled very well (been here 4 years now).

We chose our schools wisely as a lot here are very bad (putting it mildly).

Both kids are straight A students in honors classes and my older one is doing 8th Grade courses whilst in 7th Grade , expecting the same of my son when he moves to Middle this August. They are both active in sports representing school in soccer , cross country and track, they both also play competived club soccer with my youngest making the U(nited)S(tates)S(occer)Development Acadmeny so life is good.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I presume they will also be needing loans.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Islandmac79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Good luck with your visa application!

We relocated to California 3.5 years ago. We are currently going through our visa renewal process. When we moved our children were 7 and 2. We were advised by an American friend to look at private schools as we would likely find state schools lacking. We were moving to Silicon Valley and our school district was in the top 10 or so in the Country so we felt confident we would be ok. Assimilating our 7 year old, who was open-minded, quietly confident and good in school, was the biggest challenge. Whilst i am not advising against the move, i think we underestimated how challenging it would be. I would advise to look at private schools. And tour a few, its interesting to hear the questions that other people ask - you dont know what you dont know in this situation. I always remember anparent asking whether the school taught evolutionary theory or creationism. Interestingly, we were never allowed to tour the state schools in out area. We also found that they were some way behind academically.

A couple of key things that we noted: 1. the playgrounds were largely unsupervised. There was a lot of undetected bullying. 2. There were some differences in the way that things were taught and the language used to explain them eg my son found the maths transition very hard because the vocabulary around it is so different. I wish that I had been a bit more aware on these things as I would have tackled them sooner.

The area that you live in (at least in California) very specifically determines which school your children will attend so that puts a lot of pressure on your property choice.

The assessments that the school undergoes is not the same as ofsted. I sat on the school board for the first year that we lived there, so I am speaking with sone degree of insight.

I’m cautious to advise against state schools but our experience was not a good one. Our children both go to private school very happily and we are enjoying our life in the States. Perhaps if you go on a reccy you could try and get a trial day or two for your children at different schools now. Bear in mind to check term times (as they are very different from the UK) and application windows: for us private schools have everything wrapped up by March. Also bear in mind that property prices might fluctuate as the academic year registration starts in good state school districts.

We don’t intend to live in the US forever, for us it is a wonderful experience and an adventure. There have been some challenges and lots of times when we have wondered whether we have done the right thing, in fact I think the emotional journey is shared by every ex-pat I know. Ultimately we believe that we have given our children a wonderful experience, not better than they would have had in Europe but different. And we value broad and different. My husband and I have both lived abroad, doing it with children has been a new experience. I wish you lots of luck with your decision and your application.

L
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Fivehals is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Islandmac79
Hi,

Good luck with your visa application!

We relocated to California 3.5 years ago. We are currently going through our visa renewal process. When we moved our children were 7 and 2. We were advised by an American friend to look at private schools as we would likely find state schools lacking. We were moving to Silicon Valley and our school district was in the top 10 or so in the Country so we felt confident we would be ok. Assimilating our 7 year old, who was open-minded, quietly confident and good in school, was the biggest challenge. Whilst i am not advising against the move, i think we underestimated how challenging it would be. I would advise to look at private schools. And tour a few, its interesting to hear the questions that other people ask - you dont know what you dont know in this situation. I always remember anparent asking whether the school taught evolutionary theory or creationism. Interestingly, we were never allowed to tour the state schools in out area. We also found that they were some way behind academically.

A couple of key things that we noted: 1. the playgrounds were largely unsupervised. There was a lot of undetected bullying. 2. There were some differences in the way that things were taught and the language used to explain them eg my son found the maths transition very hard because the vocabulary around it is so different. I wish that I had been a bit more aware on these things as I would have tackled them sooner.

The area that you live in (at least in California) very specifically determines which school your children will attend so that puts a lot of pressure on your property choice.

The assessments that the school undergoes is not the same as ofsted. I sat on the school board for the first year that we lived there, so I am speaking with sone degree of insight.

I’m cautious to advise against state schools but our experience was not a good one. Our children both go to private school very happily and we are enjoying our life in the States. Perhaps if you go on a reccy you could try and get a trial day or two for your children at different schools now. Bear in mind to check term times (as they are very different from the UK) and application windows: for us private schools have everything wrapped up by March. Also bear in mind that property prices might fluctuate as the academic year registration starts in good state school districts.

We don’t intend to live in the US forever, for us it is a wonderful experience and an adventure. There have been some challenges and lots of times when we have wondered whether we have done the right thing, in fact I think the emotional journey is shared by every ex-pat I know. Ultimately we believe that we have given our children a wonderful experience, not better than they would have had in Europe but different. And we value broad and different. My husband and I have both lived abroad, doing it with children has been a new experience. I wish you lots of luck with your decision and your application.

L
That’s so interesting thank you for that information! We’re moving to Silicon Valley in a matter of weeks and decided to put the children into our local state schools and see what happens. Although no one from the district has replied to any of my emails so who knows! 🤷🏼‍♀️
Where abouts are you?
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

Reminds me when I was helping with Remedial Maths at the local Primary, told the kid to rub it out and we would start again, he looked confused but then he always looked confused.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.