Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living in the USA and working for a UK entity?

Living in the USA and working for a UK entity?

Old Nov 26th 2014, 8:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in the USA and working for a UK entity?

Originally Posted by tht
An H4 does not mean she lives in the US, you could have an H4 visa in your passport and never come to the US. It is also possible to live in more than one place.
In which case you would be resident for tax purposes in that place. And you're arguing minutiae, her H-4 isn't really relevant if she's not living in the US, is it, why ask the question otherwise.

I guess you know better than the HMRC....

"Residence in more than one country at the same time
It is possible to be resident in the UK and another country at the same time - 'dual residence'. In this case you may need to find out whether there is a double taxation treaty between the two countries. These treaties are designed so that you generally don't pay full tax twice on the same income or capital gains."
How is that any different from what I said? I said "if you've done something wrong". HMRC explains there how to not do it wrongly, yes? Have a read of a tax treaty, one of the first things in it is usually the residency test. I.e. figuring out the single country you are resident in for tax purposes.

And its not all about how many days:
At no point did I say it was purely about the number of days, I said read publication 519 which has the info in there about how it is determined for US purposes, which is not purely about the number of days (e.g. green card test).

This is an advice forum, if you're tax resident in more than one country simultaneously, you've done something wrong. Possibly there is some very obscure example of where you could be tax resident in more than one place at the same time and that would make sense.

If that's the case, state it, rather than nitpicking what I said.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 9:02 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I lived in one country and worked in another. The days I spent in each meant I was resident in both (by their rules). I filled tax returns in both countries and I was able to claim a credit for some of the tax paid in one country to reduce tax's owed in another. This was not a mistake, I had a plan of how many days I would be in each country beforehand and knew that I would be tax resident in both countries.
That's not the same as being resident for tax purposes in two places. I could work in the US and pay taxes there and claim a foreign tax credit here, but I'm not resident for tax purposes in both places. Ergo Article 4 of the tax treaty.

Tax resident means you're taxed on your worldwide income in that place. All of it.

Like I said, if you're in that situation, you've done something wrong, because say you were resident in Canada and worked in the US, you would only be taxed in the US on your US-source income and then claim a foreign tax credit for the US tax on it.

And I'm not quite sure why you bolded this:

If you come to the UK to live or work on a continuing basis you will be resident from your arrival.
Yes because clearly it is your principal residence and thus your singular tax home. Hence: "continuing basis".

Is a person living in the US on H-4 living in the UK on a continuing basis? Obviously not, hence my original comment.

Last edited by Steve_; Nov 26th 2014 at 9:10 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 10:24 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
In which case you would be resident for tax purposes in that place. And you're arguing minutiae, her H-4 isn't really relevant if she's not living in the US, is it, why ask the question otherwise.

How is that any different from what I said? I said "if you've done something wrong". HMRC explains there how to not do it wrongly, yes? Have a read of a tax treaty, one of the first things in it is usually the residency test. I.e. figuring out the single country you are resident in for tax purposes.

At no point did I say it was purely about the number of days, I said read publication 519 which has the info in there about how it is determined for US purposes, which is not purely about the number of days (e.g. green card test).

This is an advice forum, if you're tax resident in more than one country simultaneously, you've done something wrong. Possibly there is some very obscure example of where you could be tax resident in more than one place at the same time and that would make sense.

If that's the case, state it, rather than nitpicking what I said.
I was trying to help the Op with their question.

The Op was asking about living in the US and going to the UK to work for half the year (while working there she would likely live there as well, commuting transatlantic does not work on a daily basis on a practical level).

Given that pattern there is a good chance she could meet residence requirements in both places.

You are telling people: "And you cannot be tax resident in more than one place simultaneously" - you can't be in 2 places at once, but you can meet the requirements to resident in more than 1 place in their respective tax years.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

That's not the same as being resident for tax purposes in two places. I could work in the US and pay taxes there and claim a foreign tax credit here, but I'm not resident for tax purposes in both places. Ergo Article 4 of the tax treaty.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. You can't count as tax resident in two places at once, if the two countries have a tax treaty that prevents it, which the UK and USA do.

But you didn't say that, you just said that that it's impossible to be tax resident in two places at once. This is not true.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 5:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible if you've done something wrong, which is what I said. Give me an example of where you haven't made a mistake and you're resident in more than one country. You can file the wrong paperwork and be resident in more than one country, I'm talking about if you've filed the right paperwork.
It's real easy. For example, someone (Canadian citizen) who is normally living in Canada but spends enough days working in the U.S. to meet the substantial presence test, so that person is then tax resident in both countries. Although, in this situation, the U.S./Canada tax treaty may apply to resolve the dual residence issue, that is not going to be universally applicable.