Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living expenses cheaper in UK or USA?

Living expenses cheaper in UK or USA?

Old Nov 27th 2016, 3:07 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Living expenses cheaper in UK or USA?

I'm trying to figure out which of the two countries offer the lower cost of living. Utilities, Petro, health care, holiday cost, car insurance, interest on financing such as credit cards, car payments, ect. Of course I know that will depend on the type of area of each country a person might call home. But if we are talking apples vs apples aka similar size city, and population, do you think buying a house and monthly expenses are less costly in the UK or America? I'm moving from central Florida which is very expensive(because the population is exploding), to the Manchester area. What's your opinion?
Old Nov 27th 2016, 5:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living expenses cheaper in UK or USA?

I've moved your thread over to our US Forums where I think you will get a better response.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I'm trying to figure out which of the two countries offer the lower cost of living. Utilities, Petro, health care, holiday cost, car insurance, interest on financing such as credit cards, car payments, ect. Of course I know that will depend on the type of area of each country a person might call home. But if we are talking apples vs apples aka similar size city, and population, do you think buying a house and monthly expenses are less costly in the UK or America? I'm moving from central Florida which is very expensive(because the population is exploding), to the Manchester area. What's your opinion?
I'd ask the question in the MBTTUK forum.
Moving back to the UK - British Expats
Old Nov 27th 2016, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm moving from central Florida which is very expensive(because the population is exploding), to the Manchester area. What's your opinion?
If you're moving, then what difference would it make which is more expensive? You'll be where you are, and things will cost what they do. One way or the other, you'll either enjoy that things are less expensive, or you'll regret that things are more expensive. What will you do if the latter is true... move back?

Ian
Old Nov 27th 2016, 1:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp
Old Nov 27th 2016, 2:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion is that these comparisons are not useful, since (like it or not) your lifestyle and daily activities are quite different in central Florida and Manchester. For instance, petrol costs are easily compared. But how many miles per year do you drive in FL vs. Manchester? Do you use buses and trains in one place more than the other? Sure, you can compare the cost of wifi and car insurance. Big deal - are these really a major proportion of an annual budget?

Heath care is an easy one of course ...
Old Nov 27th 2016, 3:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As a variation on what Robin said, I think the arguments could go either way, with a slight bias towards the US being cheaper. Given that people spend their money in different ways, or as an economist would say, "people consume a different baskets of goods and services", the experience of individuals will vary considerably.

For example groceries are generally reported to be cheaper in the UK, so if you eat at home, the UK will be cheaper, whereas eating out is cheaper in the US.

New cars and petrol are cheaper in the US, but used cars and car insurance are more expensive. It is hard to survive without a car in most places in the US, whereas in the UK, while new cars and petrol are expensive, it is perfectly possible in many places in the UK to live without owning a car at all.

Some people will tell you US property taxes are higher than the UK, but that is location dependant. In New England and Texas proprty taxes can easily be $5,000-$8,000 or more for an unremarkable family home. In greater New York City, property taxes on an ordinary family home can easily be $1,000/mth, and quickly escalate for larger houses! Whereas a modest home near us has property taxes around $400, and our four-bed home, which is "huge" by British standards costs us less than $1,500/yr.

Utility bills are generally considered to be high in the US, whereas we have well water and a septic tank. In almost 14 years our "water and sewer bill" has been $150 to have the septic tank pumped. We have natural gas heating, which costs us up to $240 in the coldest winter months, whereas propane delivered to a storage tank, though essentially the same as natural gas, might cost $600/mth or more, and oil heat even more than that. Heating, and AC costs are also very dependant on your tolerance of heat and cold - I know of people near us who pay $500/mth or more for heating in the winter despite having a smaller home than us; insulation is also a factor.

Our family health insurance is very modest, obtained through my employer and Mrs P's employer - for 2017 it will be $182/mth. This year our total out of pocket health costs have been less than $600, plus dental costs, which were mostly for little Miss P.

Etc. etc. etc.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 27th 2016 at 3:30 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 6:30 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

So you don't want a general country comparison, or even an "apples to apples" comparison. You want to know if you will be better off living in Manchester (which is NOTHING LIKE Florida) or Florida.

Ask in the MBBTHUK section or get a spreadsheet going. Use an app like YNAB (I love this and hate spreadsheets) to track your spending, Then you will have all the information from where you are currently and then even go online and find out information directly.
For groceries try doing a shop online with Tesco or Asda.
Fill in online insurance comparisons. Look up mortgage rates. etc.

Use real information.

As for health being cheaper, well it is right now. I would not count on it lasting though.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

As for health insurance - my wife has enrolled me onto her plan and the monthly payments are cheaper than my NIC were back home.

Of course there are deductibles and other out of pocket expenses, but as someone who doesn't really use the health system (touch wood) it is serving me better right now.

It's all down to the individual. I'm sure if I was older and had complications it would be the absolute polar opposite.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

The pound is down 20% against the dollar relative to recent years, so if you're moving now on a fixed income you'll be better off than you would've been the past few years.

Of course, the rate may change.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 6:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Asg123
The pound is down 20% against the dollar relative to recent years, so if you're moving now on a fixed income you'll be better off .....
Moving which way? The OP didn't say, and neither did you. I know, but the casual reader might have to stop and think.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Moving which way? The OP didn't say, and neither did you. I know, but the casual reader might have to stop and think.
From USA to UK.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends where your fixed income originates.
Old Nov 27th 2016, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Black Friday in Manchester.

A plus?
Old Nov 27th 2016, 7:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

The only budget planning I've ever done;

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

Charles Dickens, David Copperfield

I've always gone for the first of the two options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.