Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:21 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

Originally Posted by Cain0
Ive also looked at the new points immigration system that may be implemented in the USA by 2018. I am working to achieve as many points as possible before that time.
You remind me of the kid who wants to marry his first girlfriend. You're smitten and in love with the idea of being in love, but those of us who have been around the block know that you're probably better off if you play the field, instead.

Aside from the fact that the US may not let you in, the problem with betting on US immigration is that fixating on it allows you to fail to address what's missing in your life right now. Your happiness should not be contingent on whether an US immigration official gives you a piece of paper; you should be trying to improve your circumstances right now, today. (And keep in mind that even if you do get in, that green card may not prove to be the panacea that you are looking for.)

Start by dumping your a**hole "friends", and go make new ones. You don't need a visa to do that.

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Jul 17th 2014 at 7:23 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:39 pm
Banned

Golden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SilverEyes
North Carolina is a very nice place to live. You'll find that all parts of the United States have very distinct cultures. The South is (in general) a friendly place with a culture that emphasizes family, community, church, and civic duty. That is a broad generalization and though it is the culture's template, it will be played out differently (or not at all), depending on many, many social and personal factors.

North Carolina is not in the Deep South. It is influenced a bit by New England. The mix of Southern and New England culture is lovely and can make a strong impression. My husband lived there for years when he was younger and a part of him still thinks of it as home.

Being there just shy of three months was probably painful because you were there just long enough to have made connections, but not long enough to experience all the number of annoying, irritating experiences that are a part of everyday life. Such as dealing with assholes and dickheads - which are definitely everywhere. That being the case, you are bound to have made some special memories while there.

Also, I can definitely see how you would find Americans exceptionally open, tuned in, and interested in you. By and large, Americans are smitten with the British. On top of being (I believe you said) English, you seem to be young, healthy, intelligent, and socially engaging. Combine all of these things, and yes, you are going to be a very popular young man. It would be hard for anyone to give that up.

Visiting somewhere that feels so welcoming, establishing friendships and connections, being mentally, physically and socially engaged and happy - all of that will most certainly lead to a sense of happiness and general life satisfaction. Of course you feel unhappy right now. It's understandable. But of course things are going to get better. The solution? Keep in mind your goal to move there. Work towards it. With hard work and careful planning, many things are possible.

I would not concentrate on despondency. I would use that feeling of connection and the memory of happy times to fuel my drive to move there. Keep your eye on your goal. That is all. They say that (perhaps at times wildly unrealistic) optimism is a very American quality. Well adopt that quality. Keep in touch with your friends there. Visit as often as you can. Plan a visit now in order to give yourself something to work towards. You say you feel a strong emotional connection to American women. Perhaps a romance will grow naturally between you and a young lady in that country. You can stay in touch easily these days through the internet. You can visit her and your friends and develop that relationship. There are many possibilities and, I believe, always a solution, when the motivation is strong enough.

Good luck to you.
He's spot on there, Americans absolutely adore us, at first, but after three or four months the novelty wears off and your accent and uniquely British mannerisms will start to gate on them, then............The party's over

So what you experienced there before was not completely real
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:47 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Golden Boy
He's spot on there, Americans absolutely adore us, at first, but after three or four months the novelty wears off and your accent and uniquely British mannerisms will start to gate on them
I find they take great offence at my cynicism and dose of reality.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Cain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond repute

He's spot on there, Americans absolutely adore us, at first, but after three or four months the novelty wears off and your accent and uniquely British mannerisms will start to gate on them, then............The party's over

So what you experienced there before was not completely real
I didn't go there with the mindset of "LOOK AT ME IM BRITISH". I went there with the mindset of making friends and being respectful and cheerful. I see my nationality or accent as nothing more than a social ice-breaker. By the time I came back, most of the people I knew didn't even acknowledge my "Britishness" anymore. We were simply friends.

My friend has been there for 6 years and none of his friends have turned on him yet.

Maybe the reason some Americans might get sick of some British people is because said British people may revert back to their pessimistic, negative mindset.

Originally Posted by MMcD
Cain0....
If I were a few decades younger and single - I'd be your American girfriend

You sound great!
Haha, thanks .
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that information! I will definitely bring this up with my University to see if it is possible. I do Business which is obviously pretty common so it shouldn't be that difficult to arrange. I just don't want to pay American fees as I desperately can't afford it.
The whole point of a exhange program is that you do not pay the uni fee's over here. You pay your regular fee. Your only expense is the visa, flight and housing costs which may or may not be the same as you're paying now.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

... Its hard to go back and conform to a very narrow band of socially acceptable behaviors, back to dutifully take your place in a ridged class structure, back to the doom and gloom of the U.K.
Oh, I thought you were talking about the US there for a second
Old Jul 17th 2014, 8:24 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I am currently doing Business Management at Manchester University and I am probably going to try to get a job at one of the big 4 after my degree (PwC, KPMG ect). I achieved a first degree in my first year and I am currently looking at work placements in the US for my third year.
I agree with the recommendation to find some new friends.

Can you find some American students at UoM to hang out with? This page says there are well over a hundred doing their degrees there....

Information for students from USA | The University of Manchester

Around 160 US students are studying for full degrees at The University of Manchester. In addition, a large number of students come on exchange or to study abroad with us for a semester or a year.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 8:40 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, thats great advice. I do plan on travelling and I want to get a job where I can go all over.
Airline pilot?
Old Jul 17th 2014, 8:58 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Oh, I thought you were talking about the US there for a second
It's as if the OP thinks that there isn't a class structure here in the US. Whilst it's not as defined - or as discussed - as it is in England, there is a definite class structure.

Just like there is no American 'Empire', the reality is different.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 9:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
It's as if the OP thinks that there isn't a class structure here in the US. Whilst it's not as defined - or as discussed - as it is in England, there is a definite class structure. ....
Oh no! There's definitely social split that divides the US population: those who live in trailers, and those who don't!
Old Jul 17th 2014, 9:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Speaking of, in-laws knew someone who was offered a million bucks for their land last year as someone wanted to build a golf course.

They refused, saying they didn't know where they'd put their trailer
Old Jul 17th 2014, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Speaking of, in-laws knew someone who was offered a million bucks for their land last year as someone wanted to build a golf course.They refused, saying they didn't know where they'd put their trailer
Old Jul 17th 2014, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

.... he needs to stay in the South, or go out West. I prefer the West. Get a wife down south, then move her out West.

Thats a plan
Better yet, why not a puppy?
Train it:
"Sit! Heel! Fetch...."

That's a better plan (for you)
Old Jul 17th 2014, 11:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Oh no! There's definitely social split that divides the US population: those who live in trailers, and those who don't!
And double wides - where does your class analysis leave those people?
Old Jul 17th 2014, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

He's spot on there, Americans absolutely adore us, at first, but after three or four months the novelty wears off
after they've got the tip you mean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.