Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Listening to BBC Radio 5

Listening to BBC Radio 5

Old Aug 15th 2004, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Listening to BBC Radio 5

For the Computer geeks out there, is there any way of spoofing, going through a UK front site? so we can listen to Premiership games?

LIMITED TO UK BROADBAND
For contractual reasons, however, the BBC has to restrict the online streaming of the Olympics to UK computer users only. This is done using something called Geo-IP which recognises where your computer is registered and shuts out anyone not in the UK. Office computers may be registered all over the world hence it’s not possible to offer the service on business computers, only residential ones.

Because of this, from August 12-30, Five Live and Five Live Sports Extra will only be available online to people with residential broadband in the UK. People on dial-up or office connections, or those trying to access the streams from outside the UK, will not be able to listen to any of Five Live’s output online during that time.

LISTEN TO THE PREMIERSHIP ONLINE
There are Premiership games in this period too, so the start of the season is going to be available only in UK broadband homes.

However, from August 30, all UK web listeners will be able to access Five Live and Five Live Sports Extra, whether on dial-up, broadband, office networks, or at home.

We are using a different system to identify UK web listeners for the Premiership due to a difference in the contract.
We are pleased to be able to offer both of these services for the first time ever. This is a fantastic new platform on which to access Five Live’s output.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 6:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Listening to BBC Radio 5

Originally Posted by Boiler
For the Computer geeks out there, is there any way of spoofing, going through a UK front site? so we can listen to Premiership games?

LIMITED TO UK BROADBAND
For contractual reasons, however, the BBC has to restrict the online streaming of the Olympics to UK computer users only. This is done using something called Geo-IP which recognises where your computer is registered and shuts out anyone not in the UK. Office computers may be registered all over the world hence it’s not possible to offer the service on business computers, only residential ones.

Because of this, from August 12-30, Five Live and Five Live Sports Extra will only be available online to people with residential broadband in the UK. People on dial-up or office connections, or those trying to access the streams from outside the UK, will not be able to listen to any of Five Live’s output online during that time.

LISTEN TO THE PREMIERSHIP ONLINE
There are Premiership games in this period too, so the start of the season is going to be available only in UK broadband homes.

However, from August 30, all UK web listeners will be able to access Five Live and Five Live Sports Extra, whether on dial-up, broadband, office networks, or at home.

We are using a different system to identify UK web listeners for the Premiership due to a difference in the contract.
We are pleased to be able to offer both of these services for the first time ever. This is a fantastic new platform on which to access Five Live’s output.

Yeah, I'm too lazy to bother, but I posted yesterday in the olympic thread...
Get a proxy...."Complete Anonymous Web Surfing" that's a good one, then there's JAP, but that's german based....either way, it gets proxy server lists, and you just choose the UK based proxies, so your internet connection goes through the proxy, so last connection to real player site would be coming from the UK....it's a good way of hiding your ip and staying hidden, it's perfectly legal...
only downside, if you let it set your connection for everything, then everything goes through the proxy, so don't, because of the ping rate, means all your connections will slow down slightly, if you have broadband, you notice, but anyway, real player, set the inernet proxy connection to: 127.0.0.1 and port 81

You can find the software through google because I can't be arsed to pull the site addy, and it's pretty easy to set up, just let it do itself...be all set mate.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 6:30 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Listening to BBC Radio 5

Originally Posted by bobz
Yeah, I'm too lazy to bother, but I posted yesterday in the olympic thread...
Get a proxy...."Complete Anonymous Web Surfing" that's a good one, then there's JAP, but that's german based....either way, it gets proxy server lists, and you just choose the UK based proxies, so your internet connection goes through the proxy, so last connection to real player site would be coming from the UK....it's a good way of hiding your ip and staying hidden, it's perfectly legal...
only downside, if you let it set your connection for everything, then everything goes through the proxy, so don't, because of the ping rate, means all your connections will slow down slightly, if you have broadband, you notice, but anyway, real player, set the inernet proxy connection to: 127.0.0.1 and port 81

You can find the software through google because I can't be arsed to pull the site addy, and it's pretty easy to set up, just let it do itself...be all set mate.
But some of us don't know how to do this stuff. Can't you help with a wee 'press this' button and it all happens with no problemo?
Old Aug 15th 2004, 6:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Don
But some of us don't know how to do this stuff. Can't you help with a wee 'press this' button and it all happens with no problemo?
http://www.pcmesh.com/surf-anonymous.htm

D/load the software, follow instructions of it doing it automatically...and all your internet connections will go through the proxy, but I think you might have to set real player up your self...

in real player: Tools/Preferences
Connection - Proxy
Change settings
Under HTTP Proxy, click Use Prxy
Left box: 127.0.0.1 Right box 81
OK, OK

Should be sorted
Does mean real player won't be able to connect if you aint' running that web anon proxy program, but just repeat process and have no proxy clicked if you don't need the proxy
Old Aug 15th 2004, 6:46 pm
Don
Banned

Cheers matey!
Old Aug 15th 2004, 6:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

By the way, that 127.0.0.1
That just means "Local Host"
ie, your computer connection, so that the application will connect through the global internet connection for your computer, which would be that proxy software.

If that program doesn't close properly, your internet settins would be through the program as it wouldn't put them back to default, so if that's the case, you just have to do it yourself.

So, just incase....

If your using Win XP home/pro whatever:

Control Panel/Internet Properties/Connection/(Whatever you connect, LAn setting or dial up, check both) Uncheck the Proxy Server -use proxy server bla bla bla box.

That will sort everything back to normal.
If you don't use XP, figure it out yourself, but it'll be something similar, I can't remember exactly what it is for 2000/NT/98 and have no clue for other operating systems.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 6:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Now that has to be worth some karma
Old Aug 15th 2004, 7:11 pm
Don
Banned

Exclamation Re: Listening to BBC Radio 5

Now that has to be worth some karma
I gave you some in advance now you have to wait till tomorrow
Old Aug 15th 2004, 7:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by The Don
I gave you some in advance now you have to wait till tomorrow
Cheers
Old Aug 15th 2004, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

ManyThanks, I think I will need to have a spare hour to sit down and sort it out.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 7:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

ManyThanks, I think I will need to have a spare hour to sit down and sort it out.
It shouldn't take long, the program might take a few minutes when you first run it, but if you have any probs, just read the program help, but it ain't hard to suss out

And I've come across a few articles about how nbc have exclusive rights to live olypmics in the states which is why there's so many problems, so a lot of people are using proxies to get around the ban....so there should be more UK proxies being set up to get around it, and basically, the more there are, the more spread the internet traffic, to lower ping's, mean faster connection...

as a side note, the ping would ideally be less than 100, but anything less than 200 would be ok for the online streaming to be fair, well anything less than 400 would work, but basically, choose the fastest proxy
Old Aug 15th 2004, 8:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Oh yeah, another side note...
if all else fails, you can try uninstalling real player, and download and install the european version, but to be honest, I don't think that should have an baring, because it should be IP related, as you could be on a laptop and moving around...
but it was a thought...
and make sure that the proxy is from the UK....
Old Aug 16th 2004, 5:43 am
Account Closed

Oh yeah, another side note...
if all else fails, you can try uninstalling real player, and download and install the european version, but to be honest, I don't think that should have an baring, because it should be IP related, as you could be on a laptop and moving around...
but it was a thought...
and make sure that the proxy is from the UK....
The link had more links to their forum that suggested that you could not chose proxy by country?

My Real Player dates from when I was in the UK, but I use the BBC Radio Player direct.

Found some Proxy free trial software but as above it does not allow you to select by Country, are there numbers I should look out for.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 4:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

The link had more links to their forum that suggested that you could not chose proxy by country?

My Real Player dates from when I was in the UK, but I use the BBC Radio Player direct.

Found some Proxy free trial software but as above it does not allow you to select by Country, are there numbers I should look out for.
In a bit of a rush at the moment....but what you can do, search google for a "whois" engine, and then put the proxy IP into it, it'll give you basic infor on the address....so you'll no the country, if it's in UK, select that proxy, and the program, you select the IP for it to use as your gateway....