Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Learning to budget for day-to-day life in the US (Florida)

Learning to budget for day-to-day life in the US (Florida)

Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:13 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning to budget for day-to-day life in the US (Florida)

Originally Posted by tom169
Because for some people $200 is worth having the extra couple hours a month.
how's your pool going?
Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
.... I cannot imagine why people would want more than 1 car per adult. Money?Sense?
I wouldn't expect someone who drives a Priass to understand. .... For some people cars are a lot more than a tin box to transport you. If I won a big lottery jackpot I would happily buy dozens of cars, or more - in fact I would endeavour to take on Jay Leno, who the last time I heard has over 170 cars.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:19 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think it was Paul Daniels, the late magician, who said he would usually pay for anything that saved him time, because no matter how wealthy you are, you still only get 24 hours in a day.
Maybe that's true once you start earning mega bucks.

But to go back to my original rant, I'd have to work more than the 2 hours to earn the money it takes a pool guy to "maintain" my pool water.

I pay my dentist, doctor, kids' teachers more because of their skills. I might change the oil on my car but I make sure it gets serviced at the correct intervals by a qualified and trusted (!!) mechanic. I'd pay an arborist to sort out my trees but I mow my own lawn..

My overall point in the rant though was to watch out for creeping lifestyle inflation.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:22 pm
Austin. TX.

I wouldn't expect someone who drives a Priass to understand. .... For some people cars are a lot more than a tin box to transport you. If I won a big lottery jackpot I would happily buy dozens of cars, or more - in fact I would endeavour to take on Jay Leno, who the last time I heard has over 170 cars.
oooh! gloves are off eh??

I love my prius. love it. Went to Ikea last night and parked right next to the doors in a special spot reserved just for moi... hybrids/electric cars. No schlepping around the car park getting irate for me!
Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I love my prius. love it. Went to Ikea last night and parked right next to the doors in a special spot reserved just for moi... hybrids/electric cars. No schlepping around the car park getting irate for me! ...
You can't do much buying at Ikea with a Priass. The only times I have been there I needed to take my truck, which I backed up to the loading dock right next to the door.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:49 pm
Austin. TX.

You can't do much buying at Ikea with a Priass. The only times I have been there I needed to take my truck, which I backed up to the loading dock right next to the door.
yep. saw a family doing that last night.. attempting to get it on their truck themselves, turning it this way and that...tying it down . All in 100f. This is where I will happily spend money. I'm waiting for the delivery guys to turn up and lug the bed upstairs, take it out of its box, take the boxes with them and then I'll put it together.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 4:52 pm
Austin. TX.

anyways just to really make you laugh.. I'm going to ask Santa for one of these..
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...nt=27902381121
Old Jul 27th 2017, 5:13 pm

yep. saw a family doing that last night.. attempting to get it on their truck themselves, turning it this way and that...tying it down . All in 100f. This is where I will happily spend money. I'm waiting for the delivery guys to turn up and lug the bed upstairs, take it out of its box, take the boxes with them and then I'll put it together. .....
The last time I remember "professional" delivery guys bringing furniture they got a bookcase halfway up the stairs, struggled for an hour to get it the rest of the way up and failed, but they did succeed in punching a hole in the back board of the bookcase by allowing it to fall against the banister.

When Mrs P and I got home I took a look at the bookcase where they had left it (with my agreement, halfway up the stairs), then we went out for dinner with my in-laws (who were there to oversee the delivery). When we got home, it took my FIL (who was already retired, and in any case, like me, not a "professional furniture mover" ) and me about 10 minutes to get the book case up stairs and into the office.

When I reported the fiasco to the furniture store, not least so they could schedule a repair to the bookcase, the woman in customer service told me that the lead delivery driver who delivered the bookcase was one of their most experienced delivery guys!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 27th 2017 at 5:41 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 7:33 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

oooh! gloves are off eh??

I love my prius. love it. Went to Ikea last night and parked right next to the doors in a special spot reserved just for moi... hybrids/electric cars.
Sounds like a great place to park my hybrid McLaren P1
Old Jul 27th 2017, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

how's your pool going?
Pools nice and clear, thanks. Making for some fun times with the family.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it isn't a lot of money to have someone take this work off your hands?
$50 a week for someone to test your pool water, throw in some pH adjuster, top up the pucks in the dispenser and empty the skimmer baskets? Backwash the filter if necessary (?2/3 times a year).

I don't earn $165 an hour so if it takes the pool guy 2 hours a month to look after my pool, I'm clearly in the wrong job. It's not skilled labour, it's not tricky, it's not a horrible dirty job, it just takes a few minutes a day. About the same time as flossing and brushing your teeth.
Might I point out that, unless he/she lives in the helps quarters at chateau PF, they have to fund a vehicle for work and account for time in the workday lost to travelling, fork out for insurance, licensing costs ( are pool persons licensed?), crossing an accountants palm with silver, etc, etc., non of which Mr/Mrs DIYer considers when they think about a 15 minute job and 5 bucks of chemicals. On the plus side, I'll bet your pool guy's got a big hose...
Old Jul 29th 2017, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

"Second car"? Why would you only have two cars?
Your beach buggy, go kart, ATV, zero turn and golf cart don't count as cars.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Because for some people $200 is worth having the extra couple hours a month.
Maybe it's Miami, but I don't know many people paying that for a backyard pool.

A guy paid in cash doing many pools in the same neighbourhood isn't going to charge more than $100.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Your beach buggy, go kart, ATV, zero turn and golf cart don't count as cars.
I don't have any of those!
Old Jul 29th 2017, 12:05 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Maybe it's Miami, but I don't know many people paying that for a backyard pool.

A guy paid in cash doing many pools in the same neighbourhood isn't going to charge more than $100.
We're in Ontario, Canada and our pool guy offered up his services for $25 a visit. With three young kids, the youngest is at the tricky age of two so will not keep still, finding the time to clean the pool is near impossible without my husband about, which then makes it's a two person job. It's definitely worth the money.

I can see PF's point about creeping lifestyles, inheritantly it's all about the choices you make with your house etc, but without downsizing our house which we've only just bought we will also continue to pay for the guy who cuts our grass too.

Incidentally there was some "research" posted by the beeb this week that said that people who spend their money on services that free up time rather than material possessions are very happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.