Last Night

Old Jul 23rd 2015, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

daccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Last Night

So I'm moving to Georgia in August with my family and we were wondering what to do on the last night. We would have said most of our goodbyes before then and don't want to get stuck spending time with close family with lots of awkward silences before the inevitable tears on leaving day.

What has everyone else done on the last night(s) before moving?

Thanks
Dave
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last Night

Waved off the removals guys then collapsed in a heap with a glass of something restorative, iirc. Then managed my mum's tears the next morning before the taxi arrived to the airport.

If possible, do most of the farewells and parties well in advance. I would have preferred to go away for a couple of days in the UK to recover both physically and mentally, then go straight for my flight, but I think my parents would have taken it as a grave insult that I didn't want to spend my last night with them. Especially as they live so close to the airport! Do you have a favourite place that you like to go to as a family that you could go to for a day or so?

On the day, do get a taxi to the airport rather than lifts from family/friends so the tears are done at home and you can face the public with dry eyes looking forward to your new adventure.

Best of luck!
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I recall having a really bad meal at TGIFridays as everything was packed up.

Though technically that wasn't the last night. More last night in my house before moving in with my parents for a few weeks before the last night.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 3:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember exactly, but I think we just headed off to a hotel near LHR as the house was empty, ready to catch our flight the next morning. Whatever we did, it was unmemorable - meal at the hotel?

Originally Posted by yellowroom
....., but I think my parents would have taken it as a grave insult that I didn't want to spend my last night with them. .....
It sounds like you were preparing to be executed, not just moving an 8 hour flight away!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 23rd 2015 at 3:43 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 3:40 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daccs
What has everyone else done on the last night(s) before moving?
Packed. Had a bath, then packed some more.

I had an early flight, so I didn't sleep. I just sat up packing and trying to set up my old computer for my mum so she had something to email me on. I can't really remember much else of what I did other than that, though.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Spent it with my mum who then came with me to Heathrow to see me off. I left Mother's Day. It didn't go well.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 4:39 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Stayed in an airport hotel as the beds were loaded for shipping on that final day. Staying at the hotel means you have already done the last packing and there is no temptation to add anything else in at the last minute.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Probably got blasted!
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

We'd emptied the house out so that literally all was left was a mattress, a small half-moon table and a couple of chairs. We put them all out the front the morning we left: we'd already booked the council to pick up the mattress and we knew the furniture would easily find a taker.

Last edited by rpjs; Jul 23rd 2015 at 6:45 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Tom1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

We broke up our journey to the US from Dublin by staying overnight at Heathrow - whilst the hotel was unmemorable, my wife certainly appreciated not having to do all the tearful goodbyes with her family on the actual day we were moving.

The night before that might have involved a lot of wine, but it's a bit of a haze now...
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 5:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

We lived near Heathrow. Waved the shipping containing off, drove to the hotel we were staying in over night before flying the next day. That night we went to our favorite Indian restaurant which was near by and stuffed ourselves silly. We knew we wouldn't get an Indian meal as good for a long time, and so far its been 8 years.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 7:14 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

We hadn't planned anything, but had already done the family goodbyes the previous weekend, so were pleasantly surprised when our neighbours gave us a farewell party. Next morning we just put our stuff in the hire car and drove to the airport.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

We said our family goodbyes a week or so earlier and were staying with a friend because our house had already been sold. I don't remember doing much at all. I know we got up early the next morning to take a company taxi to Heathrow. I did cry a little when we took off from Heathrow, not knowing when I would return to live in England. That was over a quarter of a century ago...
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 7:34 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Ours was good, the relocation company booked the container for the wrong day, so the guys couldn't load until the following day. We were supposed to be cleaning up the house ready for it to go on the rental market, but the relocation people arranged for cleaners to come in the day after as a goodwill gesture.

So we buggered off to our hotel early, had a relaxing drink in the bar, and went out to the Chinese for crispy duck drroooolll... crispy duck
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It sounds like you were preparing to be executed, not just moving an 8 hour flight away!
as far as my mum was concerned, it was just as bad. She couldn't talk to anyone about me without crying for the first eighteen months. Ive since seen her offer condolences to other people who mention they have a child living abroad, which baffled them as they appeared quite proud of their achievements. Dad was far more stoic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.