Reload this Page >

Keeping job in Uk

Keeping job in Uk

Old Mar 1st 2017, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Emmabatten is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keeping job in Uk

Hi,

Any advice greatly appreciated as I can't get my head around the rules!

I have applied for a CR-1 visa, currently waiting for interview date so hopefully relatively soon. Planning to move mid April to the States.

My employer want me to stay on for a couple of months after I move, to cover a gap in recruitment, but HR department aren't keen due to all the paperwork. I assumed this was mostly down to me ie. sorting out my tax returns and therefore shouldn't be more work for them. I had assumed I could continue working in the same way, they pay into my UK account and I pay tax and NI? I then sort my US tax out next year with tax returns? They have asked if I will be becoming a non-resident and therefore submit P85 form. Is it possible to not do this?

There is also a chance that my visa won't have come through but I was still planning to go to US on an ESTA and then return for my interview (if it's scheduled for say May) but am I right in thinking I can't work on an ESTA even if it's a UK company?

Many thanks for any help!

Emma
Old Mar 1st 2017, 5:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping job in Uk

There have been numerous threads on this topic and similar ones. .... Are you talking about working remotely linked to the UK office? ..... Because that is at best totally impractical as you won't owe UK tax and NI, so can't stay on the UK payroll. You would have to become a contractor, bill your services and then pay US income taxes and mandatory payroll taxes (equiv to NI).

There is nothing to stop you either delaying your departure to the US for a couple of months, subject to the validity-window for your CR-1, or arriving in the US then returning to the UK to work for another couple of months.

You can't "work" while in the US on an ESTA/VWP visit, full stop.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Emmabatten is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry if I have duplicated, I did a search on the forums but struggled to find the right info. Thank you - a contractor might end up being the best option I think, I will discuss this with my employers as don't think this had been considered
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Your employers will want legal advice on the corporate tax implications for them, US Federal & State withholding obligations for them and local US employment law within the United States. Ask them to share this with you.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
Your employers will want legal advice on the corporate tax implications for them, US Federal & State withholding obligations for them and local US employment law within the United States. Ask them to share this with you.
If you become a contractor / consultant then this burden will fall on you and so the company will likely be more responsive to this idea.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:51 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emmabatten
They have asked if I will be becoming a non-resident and therefore submit P85 form. Is it possible to not do this?
No. You no longer live in the UK thus you're not resident there for tax purposes. The simplest way to do it is to become self-employed in the US and then you invoice them, but that's awkward because of the currency difference. No VAT though. You can invoice them in Sterling but then you're at the mercy of the exchange rate and it makes your accounting tricky.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 9:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
No. You no longer live in the UK thus you're not resident there for tax purposes. The simplest way to do it is to become self-employed in the US and then you invoice them, but that's awkward because of the currency difference. No VAT though. You can invoice them in Sterling but then you're at the mercy of the exchange rate and it makes your accounting tricky.
She should invoice in US dollars, not sterling. That way the client tells the bank the amount in dollars that should be wired into the OP's US account and it is the client's bank (or accounting dept) that works backwards, as it were.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 12:34 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I send out invoices using harvest (getharvest.com) in dollars. Through this you can sign up with stripe or paypal and your client pays you with their credit card straight to your bank account in the USA.