Reload this Page >

Kapan's question on SS & DL after K1 entry

Kapan's question on SS & DL after K1 entry

Old Apr 18th 2018, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Kapan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kapan's question on SS & DL after K1 entry

Hi All
Quick question: I came to the US on K1 visa and am now waiting for AOS to process. Can i apply for a US driving license without a SSN or is SSN a must?
Old Apr 24th 2018, 3:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kapan's question on SS & DL after K1 entry

Kapan, I created a new thread for your question.

About 10 days after entry to the USA on a K1, you should go to the SS office in person and apply for your SS card.

I believe most DMVs need your SSN, but double check with your local one.

Also, if you have passed your 76th day in the USA without having applied for your SSN, you will need to wait for your EAD in order to get your SSN. SS won't process your application if it's within your last 2 weeks of I-94 expiration (or thereafter). After that time, you will need to show your EAD.

Rene
Old Apr 25th 2018, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

As Rene said, check with your local DMV.

(Usually best to go in to an actual location rather than speaking to someone on the phone).

Here in CO I couldn't apply for a DL until I had NOA1 from my AOS/I-485 application.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems that the wait is no longer needed, I have seen people get a SSN the day after arrival, presumably since they moved away from the paper I 94.

With me I needed to get EAD to get a CO DL but that was a long time ago.
Old May 10th 2018, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Kapan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks All for your responses. @Noorah for setting up the thread. Sadly I passed the 90 days limit and i-94 expiration and now awaiting my EAD to arrive so this will be a long wait. I will go to the local DMV office to ask though