Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just doing a little research

Just doing a little research

Old Nov 3rd 2014, 6:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just doing a little research

Originally Posted by TMR
I would hope so, and among many of those here it clearly is (Pulaski certainly, and I wouldn't have doubted it!). Making the suggestion just seems a little unedifying but perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

Frankly I'm stumped when new posters on here claim to feel "at home" in America despite their friends and family being in the UK. That makes no sense to old fashioned types like me, who define home as being where your loved ones are. There's clearly a lot I'll never understand about this stuff.
I came from Yorkshire as a child, completed school in Gloucester, and uni in London. I lived in several rented/shared houses in west and SW London, never much more than a couple of years in one place, before eventually buying my own place and living there for just over four years, so never finding anywhere to put down roots.

I have now been 11 years in NC since we bought our home here, and feel more at home here than I did anywhere else. My accent, which has remained stubbornly rooted in Sheffield, stood out in Gloucester, and also in London, and not, I feel in a good way (seemed to detract from my appeal), the opposite is true here in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 3rd 2014 at 6:30 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 6:21 pm
TMR
Account Closed

TMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond repute

I know, but the difference is you feel at home in the US having actually lived there for some time.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Jaywood is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Haven't seen anyone mention it but US training is general and you will need your transcripts to show both clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Obstetrics, Mental Health and Adult. If you do not have the hours to show then finding courses to make up will be hard. No universities in the UK offer these courses at the moment and very hard in the US to find a school willing to allow you to join for a few weeks to make up the hours both clinical and theory
The course I will be doing at university is 50% practical and 50% theory. And I believe I will be covering all of the components (I could be wrong)
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 6:52 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMR
Frankly I'm stumped when new posters on here claim to feel "at home" in America despite their friends and family being in the UK. That makes no sense to old fashioned types like me, who define home as being where your loved ones are. There's clearly a lot I'll never understand about this stuff.
But that's exactly it -- where your loved ones are. When you start a life with someone you love -- in whatever part of the world -- and make a home and start a family with them, doesn't that trump the relationships with the ones you left behind? I'm certainly not saying it replaces those relationships, but surely for everyone who marries, the new family that they create becomes the priority?
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has two British female friends (nurses) who came over here as singles and married Americans.
I think your problem is that in the UK they don't (or at least didn't) have a degree in nursing. Any British nurse is going to have their qualification evaluated by the CGFNS. They will likely need to do more training. A RN level nurse over here does procedures like insert catheters and draws blood. Things a doctor would do in the UK.
Then they would have to pass the dreaded NCLEX exam. But the at the end of the day the job pays well here. My wife can work a night shift to the tune of $60 an hour.

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Nov 3rd 2014 at 7:20 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:24 pm
TMR
Account Closed

TMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
But that's exactly it -- where your loved ones are. When you start a life with someone you love -- in whatever part of the world -- and make a home and start a family with them, doesn't that trump the relationships with the ones you left behind? I'm certainly not saying it replaces those relationships, but surely for everyone who marries, the new family that they create becomes the priority?
It does, I'm talking about people who haven't lived in the US and instead are dreaming about a life there based upon extended holidays they've taken.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaywood
The course I will be doing at university is 50% practical and 50% theory. And I believe I will be covering all of the components (I could be wrong)
Your UK adult nursing program will not be sufficient. You will need additional Peds/Ob and Mental health Nursing courses. Which as Silverdragon pointed out are not available in the UK, and VERY hard to find in the US. When I came to the US I started over. Obviously thats not ideal, but hey, I have a multiple US RN licenses now, and a UK registration.

Work on the eharmony option, and then go to nursing school when you get here.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
Your UK adult nursing program will not be sufficient. You will need additional Peds/Ob and Mental health Nursing courses. Which as Silverdragon pointed out are not available in the UK, and VERY hard to find in the US. When I came to the US I started over. Obviously thats not ideal, but hey, I have a multiple US RN licenses now, and a UK registration.

Work on the eharmony option, and then go to nursing school when you get here.
My wifes degree was in health and social studies. She came over on my green card but the hospital jumped on her when she went to a career event at the hospital. She started work immediately as an LPN or something at a lower level while the hospital paid for her additional education as well and also to the take the NCLEX exam for her RN. The biggest road block was CGFNS, they took over a year to do their part.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
..... I think your problem is that in the UK they don't (or at least didn't) have a degree in nursing. ......
There have been nursing degrees in the UK since at least the early 1980's, though at that time fewer than 10% of nurses in the UK qualified via that route at that time. I do not know how many British nurses qualify by degree now.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TMR
It does, I'm talking about people who haven't lived in the US and instead are dreaming about a life there based upon extended holidays they've taken.
I didnt even get as far as a holiday. I knew i wanted to live here at a very young age after watching the movie E.T.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:34 pm

I didnt even get as far as a holiday. I knew i wanted to live here at a very young age after watching the movie E.T.
I think it was the Dukes of Hazzard that did it for me.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There have been nursing degrees in the UK since at least the early 1980's, though at that time fewer than 10% of nurses in the UK qualified via that route at that time. I do not know how many British nurses qualify by degree now.
Makes sense. Here hospitals are getting competitive, licensed full time RNs are now being required to have a degree in nursing if they don't already have one. They want the nurses to be seen to have the degree title on their badges along with RN etc. Extra tuition is around $18k of which the hospital will pay $8k.

Luckily my wife is only part time and is not required to actually have the nursing degree, yet. We hope it stays that way. I'm surprised they insisted on it for full time as they are short staffed enough as it is. Wifey is often asked to work at last minute for a shift at time and half.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

I think it was the Dukes of Hazzard that did it for me.
So you successfully scoured the internet for your daisy duke

For me Back to the Future had a part in it too. I was 13 and wanted a DeLorean.

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Nov 3rd 2014 at 7:48 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:49 pm

Back to the Future had a part in it too. I was 13 and wanted a DeLorean.
Yeah, I can see how a car designed by Lotus and built in Northern Ireland would make you want to move to America.
So you successfully scoured the internet for your Daisy Duke. ....
(You added that bit!) ..... That came later, though the name "Daisy" wouldn't really suit Mrs P.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 3rd 2014 at 7:52 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

Yeah, I can see how a car designed by Lotus and built in Northern Ireland would make you want to move to America.
Aye, I was 13 and had no idea. Its when you get here and find out things are not always as you expected you see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.