Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Just doing a little research

Just doing a little research

Old Oct 30th 2014, 3:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just doing a little research

Originally Posted by Michael
Although you may think she was trying to be funny, one of the largest groups of people that actively participate on the USA forum met their spouse on the internet.
Like me.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Jaywood is an unknown quantity at this point

I am looking to specialize in a certain field of nursing, at the moment I am undecided which until I have completed all of my placements in university, which will maybe make things easier. I will qualify as a registered nurse and then look into further education. I know it probably sounds ridiculous when I was talking about grocery shopping etc, I found that there was more variety over in the states. I am wanting to visit the states several more times before making a decision on where I would like to settle and work towards. I didn't sadly meet anyone over there because at the time I had a partner back home but I will certainly look at some of the websites such as e-harmony etc
Old Oct 30th 2014, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaywood
I know it probably sounds ridiculous when I was talking about grocery shopping etc, I found that there was more variety over in the states.
It depends what sort of variety you're looking for. There are lots of brands everywhere. However, the grocery stores in the suburbs of the US cities that are both large and rich almost reach the variety of goods found in your average UK supermarket. Elsewhere, the variety is usually poor.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Although you may think she was trying to be funny, one of the largest groups of people that actively participate on the USA forum met their spouse on the internet.
Trying to be funny?! I'm bloody hysterical. In fact I am possibly the funniest person you know... Or not...

But yeah that's seriously a better chance than getting a job visa with nursing.

Like Pulaski I too met my USC spouse online and that's how I got here and now I'm here I too hate SUpermarkets. I long to go into a supermarket where if you removed the M&M's and fizzy pop it would contain more than your average UK corner shop
Old Oct 30th 2014, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I just miss the variety of 'fresh' food like cream cakes, and pies and pasties, and sausage rolls, and biscuits, and crisps and....crap, here I go again!
Old Oct 30th 2014, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me started...again.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I just miss the variety of 'fresh' food like cream cakes, and pies and pasties, and sausage rolls, and biscuits, and crisps and....crap, here I go again!
Don't mention cream cakes. Now I'm going to be sad and then I'm going to try to make choux pastry again, and it will be pathetic and I'll end up just scooping cream and chocolate into my mouth staring at my little discs of failure and rocking gently
Old Oct 30th 2014, 3:30 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Just doing a little research

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Crappy bacon, crappy wine selection, crappy chocolate, crappy desserts, no cheese and onion or prawn cocktail crisps, crappy pastries, no pies, crappy biscuits...

Sally's got it made...
I was in the M&S at Luton airport earlier this month (flying Easyjet to Zurich). This year M&S is selling Christmas Pudding Cookies (crunchy, all butter cookies). Bloody lovely, they are! I bought two packets and I've hidden them away, it's my secret stash....

OTOH I was in the local Aldi here in Zug. They are doing their own 'label' of Pepperidge Farm cookies, including a triple chocolate one. Very nice indeed, in fact I think nicer than the American version....but of course the chocolate is better on this side of the pond!
Old Oct 30th 2014, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

I too miss the UK supermarkets. In NYC, it's impossible to find something like a Tesco Express or one of the smaller M&S (that seem to be on nearly every second street corner in London).

Just this week I said to my wife: "do you remember those delicious fresh cream apple turnovers that Tesco sells?".
Old Oct 30th 2014, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaywood
I am looking to specialize in a certain field of nursing, at the moment I am undecided which until I have completed all of my placements in university, which will maybe make things easier. I will qualify as a registered nurse and then look into further education. I know it probably sounds ridiculous when I was talking about grocery shopping etc, I found that there was more variety over in the states. I am wanting to visit the states several more times before making a decision on where I would like to settle and work towards. I didn't sadly meet anyone over there because at the time I had a partner back home but I will certainly look at some of the websites such as e-harmony etc
It didn't sound ridiculous, I was just trying to get you to think about day-to-day life.

However, picking a place you want to settle and thus a marriage partner does sound a little ridiculous. What if they want to move?
Old Oct 30th 2014, 3:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
...... However, picking a place you want to settle and thus a marriage partner does sound a little ridiculous. What if they want to move?
That is one of the rarely discussed risks of internet dating, that you might end up snagging an Anglophile who just wants to move to the UK.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Like my wife...

Scotophile? Ukophile?

And I'm slightly ashamed to say that she knows more about the history of the UK than me...
Old Oct 30th 2014, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is one of the rarely discussed risks of internet dating, that you might end up snagging an Anglophile who just wants to move to the UK.

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Like my wife...

Scotophile? Ukophile?

And I'm slightly ashamed to say that she knows more about the history of the UK than me...
I've thought of something else for your thread about what's changed over here - the young men are smokin' hot
Old Oct 30th 2014, 4:09 pm

..... I've thought of something else for your thread about what's changed over here - the young men are smokin' hot. ....
One word: "hormones".
Old Oct 30th 2014, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've thought of something else for your thread about what's changed over here - the young men are smokin' hot
errrr...okaay...I'll keep that in mind...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.