Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Jobs - How to get them in the USA?

Jobs - How to get them in the USA?

Old May 9th 2014, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Stuathorn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs - How to get them in the USA?

I am an Oracle EBS HCM senior functional consultant in the uk. To get a job in this field in the UK, you just register with a few agencies (with a CV ) and wait for them to call. I can't see any agencies in my field in the USA. I assume you need to apply to companies direct in the US. I have been researching jobs on Dice and Indeed so far but with agencies you can discuss the market but I don't know anyone in my field in the US. At the moment I am just starting the I130 process (my wife is an USC), so it will be at least 6 months before I can emigrate, so no use applying for jobs yet. So it would be great if anyone on here knows at least the ERP market even if it is not Oracle, so I can get idea of what to expect, the process etc.
Old May 9th 2014, 2:12 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs - How to get them in the USA?

Join LinkedIn.
Oracle have 152 openings right now, maybe one fits your skill set or offers the opportunity to retool.
Old May 9th 2014, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, join LinkedIn. I get tons of emails from recruiters who have searched on keywords and found my profile.
Old May 9th 2014, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

I have started looking for jobs in NYC - it's not as easy as you would think is it? They don't seem to do recruitment consultants like in the UK and a lot is direct recruitment by companies - and if you dont know the companies are there how do you find out what jobs they have!?

As others have mentioned - linkedin is a good place to start.

Or Indeed.com - will flag up companies in the area you are looking at with key words - then just check out their websites directly to see what else they have!

http://www.indeed.com/q-Oracle-l-Florida-jobs.html
Old May 9th 2014, 4:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

How did you get a job in the UK?

It's the same.

With more BS upselling on your resume and networking.
Old May 9th 2014, 4:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And recruitment companies? They are everywhere, like a runny shit that keeps on giving.

If you're not in the US they're less likely to bother though as they carpet bomb jobs hoping one sticks to get their 30-50% salary commission...so you don't want to be signing up with loads as you'll be binned by HR to avoid dealing with who gets the finders fee...and the same if you found a job on your own but have signed a contract with one as they'll still want their fee, if they're rubbish.
Old May 9th 2014, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

dice.com

posting your resume on American jobs sites like monster.com will normally result in a recruiter finding you, if your skills make you rare as rocking horse shit in the job market that is.

Getting a professional resume writer to convert your CV to an American resume wouldn't be a bad idea.

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; May 9th 2014 at 5:27 pm.
Old May 9th 2014, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

How Bad Is the Job Market for the College Class of 2014?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...w_college.html
Old May 9th 2014, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked within Oracle itself to see if they have any opening suitable for you?
Old May 9th 2014, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And recruitment companies? They are everywhere, like a runny shit that keeps on giving.

If you're not in the US they're less likely to bother though as they carpet bomb jobs hoping one sticks to get their 30-50% salary commission...so you don't want to be signing up with loads as you'll be binned by HR to avoid dealing with who gets the finders fee...and the same if you found a job on your own but have signed a contract with one as they'll still want their fee, if they're rubbish.
The company that sponsored my visa used their own recruiters, they were on the payroll. The also had a referral bonus for other employees. I recommended someone i previously worked with in the UK and they hired her. It was $5000 flat rate bonus for a referral. One woman had referred 6 people. Its not what you know its who you know
Old May 9th 2014, 10:13 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

get hold of a recent edition of "What Colour is your parachute". Brilliant advice and very relevant to getting a job in the USA.

LinkedIn - absolutely
Indeed - yes

make your own website with your cv so when potential recruiters google you then they can find you easily.
Old May 10th 2014, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

vtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond reputevtcarter6 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know of a way to indicate multiple locations on LinkedIn? For example, if I'm currently living and working in the UK, but actively job searching in the US (with visa and work authorization). It would be great if there was a way to do this relatively discreetly, so not all of my contacts/current colleagues would know, but so I'd still show up on US-based searches.
Old May 10th 2014, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think there is a way.
Two profiles?
Old May 10th 2014, 11:20 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

There is a way for you to change your information without telling the world. So, id you just want to change the location, then you can. If you want to have 2 locations, you can't.

To change information without broadcasting it:
click on your photo on top right of home page
choose privacy and settings
then choose profile
"turn on/off your activity broadcasts"
Old Jul 25th 2014, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

talk2ni8t is an unknown quantity at this point

Sign up to job alerts from google news using your specified search to get daily or weekly updates on companies hiring. Search twitter for key words recruiters may use to view opportunities eg "send resume oracle". 'like' companies Facebook pages and ask for advice on their hiring process on their page to get noticed and get active in forums regarding your field. Set up a basic website for your cv as mentioned. Search key skill words on linked in find out what employers search for the most

I can take a quick look at your CV if you like for free. Its what I do for a living

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.