Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job referencing

Job referencing

Old Apr 27th 2015, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job referencing

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
So just to clarify something, when I get offered a job the company will most likely contact the company I work for here in the UK themselves?
They might, or they might not. There really isn't a "most likely" answer - it depends on the company and the job.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends! Most large companies outsource this stuff. Where my wife works, the company that did the background check (Sterling) also obtained references (dates and title only I believe). At my company the recruiter did it and Sterling just did the background check.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

For my current job, my references were contacted the same day I had my interview!

I was asked why I hadn't listed my current employer and I said it was because I didn't want them to be approached too soon. Good job I did!

I was offered the job officially a couple days later (I already knew it was mine even before the HR interview), pending successful drug and alcohol testing, which, of course, I passed.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 7:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had a company bother contact any references, personal or work.

The missus hasn't either.

In my experience, a company would only list dates of employment and job title, so not worth very much.

Sure it depends on the sector you're in though.

One thing that I've never heard of, but does happen over here depending on the job is them doing a credit check on you. Happened to someone the missus worked worth, they had applied for a job somewhere else, got offered it so handed in notice. Only to have the job offer pulled the day before they were meant to start because they didn't have a high enough credit score, just missed the cut off score apparently.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 7:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I've never had a company bother contact any references, personal or work.

The missus hasn't either.

In my experience, a company would only list dates of employment and job title, so not worth very much.

Sure it depends on the sector you're in though.

One thing that I've never heard of, but does happen over here depending on the job is them doing a credit check on you. Happened to someone the missus worked worth, they had applied for a job somewhere else, got offered it so handed in notice. Only to have the job offer pulled the day before they were meant to start because they didn't have a high enough credit score, just missed the cut off score apparently.
Risk management folks have decided low credit score = more likely to steal from company. Or too much debt = more likely to steal from company.

They are becoming very common, even low wage places like Wal-Mart and Target do background checks, drugs tests and credit checks these days.

I had a job offer revoked in Canada after the credit check, I had too much debt (I had 8,000 in student loans) and the company this company was providing services for (large auto company in US) said employees working the contract could not have more then 5,000 in debt.

Even the gov't of Canada apparently now does credit checks on its employees and prospective employees.

No credit, bad credit, debt = high risk for theft according to risk management companies.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 11:41 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Risk management folks have decided low credit score = more likely to steal from company. Or too much debt = more likely to steal from company.

They are becoming very common, even low wage places like Wal-Mart and Target do background checks, drugs tests and credit checks these days.

I had a job offer revoked in Canada after the credit check, I had too much debt (I had 8,000 in student loans) and the company this company was providing services for (large auto company in US) said employees working the contract could not have more then 5,000 in debt.

Even the gov't of Canada apparently now does credit checks on its employees and prospective employees.

No credit, bad credit, debt = high risk for theft according to risk management companies.
I had a Top Secret security clearance and had debt... if the MoD didn't think I was going to sell their secrets then I don't think I'm going to steal from Walmart
Old Apr 28th 2015, 11:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I had a Top Secret security clearance and had debt... if the MoD didn't think I was going to sell their secrets then I don't think I'm going to steal from Walmart
It's just a scam for other companies can make money. Trans Union claims people with bad credit/debt are twice as likely to steal as those without debt and bad credit for example.

Equifax says checking credit is a good way find out the character of an applicant.

The Canadian federal government is now doing credit checks as well, they claim it will increase security as debt or bad credit increases the chances of someone doing an unethical act apparently.

Even fast food places are doing it now...

Use Of Credit Checks To Screen Job Applicants Growing In Canada As U.S. Clamps Down

The credit reporting agencies and others have some good sales people who convince companies to check credit reports which leads to more money in those reporting companies pockets which is all they want at the end of the day.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 1:05 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Contacting references by phone is still common. Wanting a letter of reference far less so.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 1:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's just a scam for other companies can make money. Trans Union claims people with bad credit/debt are twice as likely to steal as those without debt and bad credit for example.

Equifax says checking credit is a good way find out the character of an applicant.

The Canadian federal government is now doing credit checks as well, they claim it will increase security as debt or bad credit increases the chances of someone doing an unethical act apparently.

Even fast food places are doing it now...

Use Of Credit Checks To Screen Job Applicants Growing In Canada As U.S. Clamps Down

The credit reporting agencies and others have some good sales people who convince companies to check credit reports which leads to more money in those reporting companies pockets which is all they want at the end of the day.
It's just another way to help eliminate the chaff. My experience in both the UK and the US is that there are 50-100 applicants for every position, and I have read published articles saying the same thing. Of those applications, 90% have no relevant qualifications, skills, or experience whatsoever. Nothing, nada! The recruitment process becomes an ordeal of winnowing haystacks hoping that somewhere in there there is a gem waiting to be found.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Contacting references by phone is still common. Wanting a letter of reference far less so.
This. I agreed to be a reference for two of my ex-colleagues last year, these guys are both in Toronto. The experience was similar for both.

Once the guys had been short-listed for positions, the company requested a telephone call with me. I honestly felt like I was being interviewed - it was incredibly detailed and demanded a lot of insight. I really hope they both manage to keep the jobs they are in now!!
Old Apr 28th 2015, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's just another way to help eliminate the chaff. My experience in both the UK and the US is that there are 50-100 applicants for every position, and I have read published articles saying the same thing. Of those applications, 90% have no relevant qualifications, skills, or experience whatsoever. Nothing, nada! The recruitment process becomes an ordeal of winnowing haystacks hoping that somewhere in there there is a gem waiting to be found.
Most companies though don't do the credit background check until after the screening and interview process and an conditional offer of employment has been made pending said background and credit checks.

I agree companies get a lot of applications, but in this case, I don't see how its helping them screen since they don't do them until the person is past that part and has an offer of employment made.

That is how its worked everywhere I have worked or been offered employment at.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Total outlier here, but in my branch of academia, reference letters (with direct comments about the candidate's ability and value of their research) must be submitted with the application; they form a key part of the selection process. The referees would only be contacted directly if someone in the department knew them personally. To give you an idea of the numbers: for ONE position, a department may expect to receive anywhere from 300 - 1500 applications.

Background checks may happen after an offer, but it's probably worth drawing a distinction between references and background checks, since they are completely different in purpose and one would expect them to happen at different times.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I think the first two are mostly down to liability issues. The third, is just taking the piss....it's why they have all those cameras on the tills in the first place.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
I think the first two are mostly down to liability issues. The third, is just taking the piss....it's why they have all those cameras on the tills in the first place.
The first 2 are. Wal-Mart started to do background checks after they had few incidents with convicted sex offenders who they had hired.

SC family taking on Wal-Mart in court over hiring sex offenders - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

That incident occurred in 2000, and it wasn't until 2004 or so when they started doing background checks on employees.

Drug testing is the one thing not really done in Canada, its either not legal, or only legal in certain circumstances, or is a grey area, I forget as to why its not generally done.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by retzie
Total outlier here, but in my branch of academia, reference letters (with direct comments about the candidate's ability and value of their research) must be submitted with the application; they form a key part of the selection process. The referees would only be contacted directly if someone in the department knew them personally. To give you an idea of the numbers: for ONE position, a department may expect to receive anywhere from 300 - 1500 applications.

Background checks may happen after an offer, but it's probably worth drawing a distinction between references and background checks, since they are completely different in purpose and one would expect them to happen at different times.
So Retzie, are you saying up to 1500 applicants with PhD's are applying for every academic position? Wow, either there are only a few positions available at any one time or a lot of people in the states have PhD's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.