Job Offer! (where to live?)

Old Aug 18th 2014, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Big Gord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Offer! (where to live?)

Cheers for the advice ;-)
Old Aug 18th 2014, 12:23 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

often think of SC as being (more than) a bit "hick"
Compared to what?? Georgia??
Old Aug 18th 2014, 1:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Compared to what?? Georgia??
Compared to just about everywhere that isn't Arkansas, West Virginia, and Mississippi.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 2:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I didn't say it was bad, I'd live there myself, I was just addressing suitability for the OP. ..... And to the OP: people who don't live in SC often think of SC as being (more than) a bit "hick", so don't expect too many recommendations for SC from your colleagues.
Err, so "flat and uninteresting ... has no redeeming features" aren't bad things, then?
Old Aug 18th 2014, 2:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Err, so "flat and uninteresting ... has no redeeming features" aren't bad things, then?
That was Greenville NORTH Carolina.

Greenville, NC is in the middle of nowhere, flat and uninteresting, has a "party school" campus of the NC University system, close to the "Outer Banks", ......
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:57 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Greenville, NC is in the middle of nowhere, flat and uninteresting, has a "party school" campus of the NC University system, close to the "Outer Banks", (not to be confused with "the beach", the Outer Banks are windswept and desolate). Greenville NC is good for hunting, fishing, flying kites, and drinking cheap beer in student bars; it has no redeeming features. ..... Also unnecessarily close to my in-laws.
The transport links may not be as good as ATL, but I'd always put in a plug for Nashville- the big city with a small town feel. ;-)

And hey, Pulaski, Greenville NC isn't that bad - though it's certainly not a suitable option for the OP.
I didn't say it was bad, I'd live there myself, I was just addressing suitability for the OP. ..... And to the OP: people who don't live in SC often think of SC as being (more than) a bit "hick", so don't expect too many recommendations for SC from your colleagues.
That was Greenville NORTH Carolina.
Yes, it was your post about Greenville North Carolina that I was responding to in both of my posts. I never mentioned Greenville South Carolina - stop confusing me!
Old Aug 21st 2014, 11:04 am

Yes, it was your post about Greenville North Carolina that I was responding to in both of my posts. I never mentioned Greenville South Carolina - stop confusing me!
Ooops. You're right.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 12:03 pm
Ping-ponger

Ooops. You're right.
It happens very occasionally so when it does, I feel the need to make sure everyone knows!
Old Aug 21st 2014, 12:11 pm

It happens very occasionally so when it does, I feel the need to make sure everyone knows!
It might not concern you, but Greenville, NC is still unpleasantly close to my in-laws.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 12:39 pm
Ping-ponger

It might not concern you, but Greenville, NC is still unpleasantly close to my in-laws.
If you give me their address, next time I'm there I'll tell them you send your love.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 1:08 pm

If you give me their address, next time I'm there I'll tell them you send your love. ...
What makes you think I have their address? I couldn't tell you if my life depended on it! ...... And yes, that means I have never visited them, in the five years since they moved (back) there.

They used to live next door to us, then they chose to move half way across the state and bought a house too small to accommodate visitors.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

Atlanta or Charlotte. Atlanta would be my first choice as I tend to travel internationally on my own time
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
The far northern end of your territory is Northern Virginia, around the Dulles Airport and the Washington, DC area. A rather international area with many diplomats and foreign businessmen along with some good school districts, though would add a bit to your flights.

Some of the states in the 'Deep South' are not particularly known for academic excellence. You can find gems of schools anywhere, but your overall pickings might be better in some states rather than others.
I was going to suggest Northern Virginia (the DC suburb part) for the same reasons you mentioned, however the OP would be at the northern most tip of his territory. As long as he can fly to his markets, he will be fine living here. Its one of the best parts of the country