Reload this Page >

Job Offer! (where to live?)

Job Offer! (where to live?)

Old Aug 15th 2014, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Big Gord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job Offer! (where to live?)

Hi

I've just received a tentative job offer to relocate to the US via my current employer.
I work in sales and they want me to cover South Eastern US. (Virginia, N & S Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia & Florida).

I've been to Florida twice on holiday many years ago, but havent been to any of the other states.

All they've asked is that i stay somewhere central with regards to the States mentioned above.

I know that each one will have pro's and con's but i was really looking for some additional advice from ex-pats who might be living there etc.

Cheers for now
G
Old Aug 15th 2014, 11:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer! (where to live?)

Central, with travel, presumably (?), it surely means Atlanta, which has one of the largest hub airports in the entire country. You could make quality of life arguments for several other places, but they'd be much further from the center with much poorer flight links. The only place that could come close would be Charlotte, NC, which has a hub airport, but not as big (as many flights) as Atlanta.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi Pulaski

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, there would be travel although they've said that most can be done by car etc.

However, i thought that the Atlanta area could be worth checking due to the airport. Even for flights to and from the UK and national flights too.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:13 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

By car? Combined the eight states you listed are nearly 4 times the size of the UK. That's a bit of driving.

As mentioned, airports are going to be key. Atlanta or Charlotte are the leaders, but there maybe some mid-size regionals like Memphis, Charleston SC, Greenville SC that offer enough flights to other regions (or close enough to somewhere else from which you could then drive).

Are kids / schools an issue? What is your preference for weather (though most of those are kind of hot).
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Hi penguinsix

Cheers for the reply.
Yeah, thats what i was thinking! It's about 12 x the size of Scotland, so quite a territory.

Sorry, i should have mentioned that it in my original post. Yeah, kids and school are an issue. We have twins aged 9.
Regarding the weather, we see this as an opportunity to get away from our rubbish weather in Scotland.
I'd actually started to look at places north of Atlanta towards the mountains but i'll need to do a fair bit more research on this.
There's some lovely places around there by the looks of things.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on how much you want the 'City Life' experience. I live about 90 miles north of the ATL, but I'm within easy reach of I85, which will get you around most of your territory, just as well as anywhere else. It's pretty rural so entertainment involves a bit of traveling (except for hiking, biking and other outdoorsy stuff!).

North of here are Anderson and Greenville, South Carolina, both of which have some pretty good services (schools, restaurants, entertainment, etc.). A good friend of mine lives in the latter and there are plenty of big-name concerts and broadway shows there as well as good restaurants and other options for the littl'uns.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all

Charlotte has a British school if you want continuity of education (they follow the IGCSE curriculum). It's not cheap though. It's also a bit of a haven for people moving from the likes of New York and Boston who are looking for better weather, a cheaper lifestyle and a decent range of job opportunities. It's the northern end of your area, but might be the best bet.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for ATL here. The airport is a very busy hub and you can get almost everywhere.

I would have thought that doing most of the travel by driving would involve very long unproductive road trips away from your family.

Babychog is still very little but there are several good school districts peppered around ATL.

Lx
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:33 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I think Greenville, South Carolina would be perfect for you. Close to Atlanta and Charlotte. Not as hot as some places. Quite a few Europeans there because of BMW and Michelin. Not too big, not too small. Good shopping. Close to interstates. Close to Smoky Mountains. Not too far from Charleston for beaches. Affordable housing!

PS - Not to be confused with Greenville, NC. Never been there.

Last edited by Mallory; Aug 15th 2014 at 1:39 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Wow, thanks guys for all the response.
I'll take a note of these places and will google them all later on.

Much appreciated.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
..... PS - Not to be confused with Greenville, NC. Never been there.
Greenville, NC is in the middle of nowhere, flat and uninteresting, has a "party school" campus of the NC University system, close to the "Outer Banks", (not to be confused with "the beach", the Outer Banks are windswept and desolate). Greenville NC is good for hunting, fishing, flying kites, and drinking cheap beer in student bars; it has no redeeming features. ..... Also unnecessarily close to my in-laws.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 15th 2014 at 3:11 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:43 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I'm in love with Greenwood, SC (including the surrounding area of Hodges). Small enough to be rural but large enough to have everything you want - Greenville is 40 minutes away.

Guindalf and I live resonably close to each other, it is very rural, but very pretty also.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory
I think Greenville, South Carolina would be perfect for you. Close to Atlanta and Charlotte. ......
You've been living in the US too long! Greenville, SC is "close" to Atlanta and Charlotte in the same way that Derby is "close" to London and Darlington.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 2:11 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The far northern end of your territory is Northern Virginia, around the Dulles Airport and the Washington, DC area. A rather international area with many diplomats and foreign businessmen along with some good school districts, though would add a bit to your flights.

Some of the states in the 'Deep South' are not particularly known for academic excellence. You can find gems of schools anywhere, but your overall pickings might be better in some states rather than others.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies.
Will report back once i've checked out everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.