Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job Hunting in the US - Differences to Blighty

Job Hunting in the US - Differences to Blighty

Old Apr 21st 2005, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Hunting in the US - Differences to Blighty

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
This applies to many HR departments in the US too. They're not accustomed to having applicants who are not American/educated or with work experience from overseas and fail to appreciate candidates.

NC Penguin
If you are putting your resumes directly into an HR department, expect to have either a computer or a monkey getting paid $6 an hour initially assess your resume to suitability.

If you put your British qualifications onto the US resume, you'll most likely get rejected simply due to them having no idea what the US equivelancy would be.

I used to work for EDS in England but left prior to coming over to America (please don't ask why). I re-applied to the exact same position when I started looking for a job (prior to my US resume re-write) and didn't even get an interview. I got in touch with them and my resume didn't even get past the HR dept screening.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 4:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon

Agreed, but you can explain away some gaps easier than others. Immigration is, in my mind, a valid reason for a person having a period of unemployment.

only if you get an interview, most times, they'll see a gap, or that your not got US experience/education and throw your resume in the bin.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
only if you get an interview, most times, they'll see a gap, or that your not got US experience/education and throw your resume in the bin.
Fair point Bob, I avoided that situation mostly by going through the whole building a network thing. I had the opportunity to explain away any discrepencies or doubts at a referral interview.

I got a grand total of zero interviews from internet sources or newspapers.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I got a grand total of zero interviews from internet sources or newspapers.
I got a couple over the phone...when I couldn't work...and they didn't wait...so that was a bugger...but such is life.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 9:54 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Just wanted to pass on this link about explaining resume gaps since a few people touched upon it. It's not directly related to expat cases but the premise is the same. It was in todays Seattle Times Business & Tech section.

Resume Gaps
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:10 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

If you are putting your resumes directly into an HR department, expect to have either a computer or a monkey getting paid $6 an hour initially assess your resume to suitability.

If you put your British qualifications onto the US resume, you'll most likely get rejected simply due to them having no idea what the US equivelancy would be.

I used to work for EDS in England but left prior to coming over to America (please don't ask why). I re-applied to the exact same position when I started looking for a job (prior to my US resume re-write) and didn't even get an interview. I got in touch with them and my resume didn't even get past the HR dept screening.
Is the post above addressed to me? If so, I guess you haven't read my numerous posts about resume/CV writing and job hunting.

With the exception of many employers in big cities and multinational companies, the typical American employer or HR recruitment consultancy probably hasn't run across too many European candidates, even with an American CV or resume.

That's the point I was trying to make.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:28 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chandler
The whole pest thing is tricky. It's hard to know where to draw the line.

I guess the answer is ' two steps beyond where a Brit would'?
The key to finding a job is having a friend who can tell you about opening and advocate that you get the job. The good ol' boy system, then. You must be shameless about finding and keeping these contacts/friends, and shameless about asking them if they know of any jobs.

I've found that posting my resume on monster.com has gotten me farther than sending a resume anywhere. That's a mix between "pushing" your resume out there and the employer then deciding whether or not to chase you, based on the whims of their search criteria.

How well you get on with the manager and especially your potential colleagues is of major importance -- sometimes moreso than your qualifications for the work.

Finding a job is a full-time job unto itself and following up on leads and making contacts is part of it. You are merely showing what a hard worker you are by making these efforts.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Is the post above addressed to me? If so, I guess you haven't read my numerous posts about resume/CV writing and job hunting.

NC Penguin
No mate, It was just an observation based upon my own experiences of HR departments.

I haven't see any of your resume/CV/job posts recently... I've only recently got back into BE after a 9 month gap so I'm a bit behind (no change there).
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

No mate, It was just an observation based upon my own experiences of HR departments.

I concur with your observations on HR departments!! I had a very similar experience as you when firing out resumes etc, finally got my job by managing to sidestep the HR muppets and getting directly into the people who actually knew what they wanted in the particular job - it never ceases to amaze me as to why the initial screeners of resumes are people who really don't know what they are looking for, and anything outside of their "parameters" is instantly binned.

I had next to no luck applying for jobs online, other than jobs that were a bit beneath what I really wanted to do. Luckily I was in the financial position of being able to wait and build up contacts, which is the key to getting in the back door, not only here but pretty much anywhere else as well.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by snowbunny

I've found that posting my resume on monster.com has gotten me farther than sending a resume anywhere. That's a mix between "pushing" your resume out there and the employer then deciding whether or not to chase you, based on the whims of their search criteria..
Monster luck?
Blimey...found that to be the biggest pile of pants...but then it ain't my area I guess...loads of insurance jobs and English teaching positions in south korea though...
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 7:22 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Monster luck?
Blimey...found that to be the biggest pile of pants...but then it ain't my area I guess...loads of insurance jobs and English teaching positions in south korea though...
Not much luck in finding my dream job posted, no, but in terms of having people contact *me* once I posted my resume, yes.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Not much luck in finding my dream job posted, no, but in terms of having people contact *me* once I posted my resume, yes.
That's cool...mine gets viewed every once in a while...I think it got better viewing numbers with the old title before I updated it...but still nae luck with it...
but speaking of...made my first linkedin request, someone's a 4th tier contact...so that should be interesting...probably is, bit of an iffy job in an iffy place...no offence to any texans *l*
Old May 9th 2005, 10:50 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
That's cool...mine gets viewed every once in a while...I think it got better viewing numbers with the old title before I updated it...but still nae luck with it...
but speaking of...made my first linkedin request, someone's a 4th tier contact...so that should be interesting...probably is, bit of an iffy job in an iffy place...no offence to any texans *l*
Bob - did you get any joy with your request?

Update:

Ive posted on Monster and it has brought some interest from recruiters. The website appears to be much more of an acceptable tool in the US than in the UK. Thanks for the tip.
Old May 10th 2005, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

jockf is an unknown quantity at this point

I've found that posting my resume on monster.com has gotten me farther than sending a resume anywhere. That's a mix between "pushing" your resume out there and the employer then deciding whether or not to chase you, based on the whims of their search criteria.

I agree. I posted my resume on Monster/Hot jobs/careerbuilder and heard nothing for 2 weeks. Then after the 2 week barrier I was bombarded with interview offers some from people I hadn’t applied to. I would recommend them. Although you do get all the dodgy companies trying to get you to work for free and loads of sales jobs also!!!!!!!
Old May 10th 2005, 6:08 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I got my current job (that I've had since 1997) after being a temp with them through Manpower for 18 months. I'm in a very large IT company and love it. My CV was certainly invited, and a position was created for me. I should mention... my employer only allows contractors to stay for 18 months, so I either had to be hired by them directly, or face being kicked out. They don't take kindly to unsolicited CVs and usually ignore them.

My husband, on the other hand, recently started a new job after going door-to-door in a small industrial estate. He got an unexpected call (right when he'd had it with the former employer, so the timing was great!), had an interview and job offer that same evening.

So two opposite ends of the stick there.

One thing I also found was that there are a lot of things you probably shouldn't be putting on your CV, which are almost expected in Europe, ie. mostly extra-curricular activities. I've had enough interviews here, so has hubby, to know that the employers generally do *not* want to know what you get up to in your private life. Also, I added an "Objectives" paragraph to the top of my CV, which basically says what I'm looking for. I then split out experience into "Relevant" and "Other".

Hope that helps a bit - good luck with the meet-up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.