Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Job Hunting in the US - Differences to Blighty

Job Hunting in the US - Differences to Blighty

Old Apr 15th 2005, 10:28 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future
Default Job Hunting in the US - Differences to Blighty

I was lucky enough to be a company transfer so I've never personally experienced the dubious pleasure of job hunting in the U S of A. However, my wife is in the early stages of the aforementioned and I was wondering what those you have experienced the employment hunt found different to the UK?

- Are companies more expectant that interviewees will chase them rather than the employers pursuing the interviewees?
- Do US companies welcome uninvited resumes?
- Must a person sell themselves in what would be considered in the UK, an OTT way?

A guess to some extent the answers will changed based upon industry and geography. Therefore I’m going to through in the words “Public Relations” and “New York”.

All thoughts welcome.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 10:53 pm
Sahuaro

Default Re: Job Hunting in the US - Differences to Blighty

Be aware of the constitutional amendment which makes it illegal to return phone calls or respond to voicemail.

Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chandler

- Are companies more expectant that interviewees will chase them rather than the employers pursuing the interviewees?
It is my experience that this is true. I was told to make plenty of follow up calls, to the point where I felt like a pest. Actually lost one job I think, because I couldn't be bothered playing phone tag countless times.

Do US companies welcome uninvited resumes?
The company I work for throws resumes in the trash that do not come through the right channels.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Do a search for resumes on the site, there's been a few good ones...but basically you've got to whore yourself out and really sell yourself, all about buzzwords and hounding people down till you get something....obviously not working enough for me though *lol*
Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:17 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Do a search for resumes on the site, there's been a few good ones...but basically you've got to whore yourself out and really sell yourself, all about buzzwords and hounding people down till you get something....obviously not working enough for me though *lol*
*lol* you spend too much time on here Bob......
Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:29 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

The whole pest thing is tricky. It's hard to know where to draw the line.

I guess the answer is ' two steps beyond where a Brit would'?
Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:35 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

I agree - you do have to pimp yourself out since the current job market is in the employers favour.

It's all about networking - sending in resumes univited tends to end up in a black hole unless you have tailor made the resume to a job advertised on the company website and you fit the bill perfectly. Referals really count.

Follow up is key from nailing an interview date to sending thank you notes afterwards. In New York PR you can take that a step further and have to be creative about it to stand out to the top agencies.

I guess it depends what area of PR she has worked on but eg if she has any experience in tech PR have her try a company like Text 100 - with a UK origin they now have offices worldwide and really play on being a global PR company who welcome a diverse workforce.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:42 pm
Sahuaro

In the "Home of Freedom", they judge you by their standards so they expect you to be like them, act like them, have their morals / standards etc. If you can't do this, there will be neither sympathy nor interest. This is not a place for the meek, or the mild, or those looking for a second chance.

Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:59 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

How does one break into the elusive circle to get access to those whom need to have their net worked?

I'm hoping the answer is to hang around in bars....
Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chandler
How does one break into the elusive circle to get access to those whom need to have their net worked?
luck, and friends....

could try: https://www.linkedin.com/ and see if you know anyone on it...
Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sahuaro
This is not a place for the meek, or the mild, or those looking for a second chance.
Then what the hell are you doing here?
Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:22 am
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
luck, and friends....

could try: https://www.linkedin.com/ and see if you know anyone on it...
I second Linkedin - useful and easy.

If you want pubs search meetup.com - there are PR groups in NYC so you can definately mix business with pleasure!

Check national PR organisations....many are based out of NYC and have events/guest speakers where you can mingle and meet people afterwards. Start with PRSA.org

Pretty painless!
Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:26 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

So far I've come against the problem that I don't have my Green Card yet. Even though I have an EAD, some still require a Green Card.

Also, one job fell through because they wanted to do a credit check and I have no credit history in the USA right now. I sort of need a job to be able to build one. This is rare though.

Good luck.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by looselips
I second Linkedin - useful and easy.
I don't know about useful...but easy yes...as it's had bugger all use for me yet, but then it's only a small network *l*
Old Apr 16th 2005, 12:27 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I don't know about useful...but easy yes...as it's had bugger all use for me yet, but then it's only a small network *l*

I really don't think Bob should be posting in this thread!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.