Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

JFK - Time at Security when going through on a visa

JFK - Time at Security when going through on a visa

Old Aug 8th 2017, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of
Default JFK - Time at Security when going through on a visa

Hey BE,
I know that this is a very specific request, but hear me out.

I'm moving on August 24th and am just putting the final pieces of the puzzle in order; namely airport transfers. I've got my Addison Lee booked to get me to Heathrow at this end, and am going to get a town car at the other end - these are reimbursable expenses, and I'm going to have three suitcases with me (!) so I thought 'Why not?'

I'm trying to pin down the best pickup time to specify. Car services I've used over here have a grace wait period, then they start charging, but I'm not sure about there. I also don't want to pick a late time and be sat around twiddling my thumbs.

I can usually get through LHR in 25-30 minutes from plane to having my baggage collected. At JFK from memory it's usually been a bit longer, maybe around 40 mins.

Obviously this time I won't be skipping merrily through the ESTA queue, but will be in the Visa line.
When my girlfriend visited from New York last month it took her the best part of an hour to get through at Heathrow on a regular passport.

Has anyone done this dance at JFK and can you remember roughly how long it took?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 8th 2017, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JFK - Time at Security when going through on a visa

Originally Posted by MorsePacific
Hey BE,
I know that this is a very specific request, but hear me out.

I'm moving on August 24th and am just putting the final pieces of the puzzle in order; namely airport transfers. I've got my Addison Lee booked to get me to Heathrow at this end, and am going to get a town car at the other end - these are reimbursable expenses, and I'm going to have three suitcases with me (!) so I thought 'Why not?'

I'm trying to pin down the best pickup time to specify. Car services I've used over here have a grace wait period, then they start charging, but I'm not sure about there. I also don't want to pick a late time and be sat around twiddling my thumbs.

I can usually get through LHR in 25-30 minutes from plane to having my baggage collected. At JFK from memory it's usually been a bit longer, maybe around 40 mins.

Obviously this time I won't be skipping merrily through the ESTA queue, but will be in the Visa line.
When my girlfriend visited from New York last month it took her the best part of an hour to get through at Heathrow on a regular passport.

Has anyone done this dance at JFK and can you remember roughly how long it took?

Thanks in advance!
Quickest time, 15 min (Boston Logan on a delayed flight in the early hours) from start of line to waiting for luggage..

Slowest time... 3-4 hours in Chicago from start of line to luggage...
Old Aug 8th 2017, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Which terminal at JFK? What type of visa? When I entered on an immigrant visa I was allowed to use the US citizens / LPR line at JFK T7 (BA) and then had a short time in "new immigrants" secondary having my immigrant visa processed. If you're on a non-immigrant visa you'll need to use the non-US citizens lane and that backs up very quickly unless you're in a premium cabin and can get off the plane fast. That said, if you do get through immigration quickly my experience at JFK is that it usually takes at least half an hour to 45 minutes after landing for the luggage to start appearing on the belt.

If you're able to expense the ride, why not simply order an Uber once you've got your bags and are through customs? They usually take only about ten minutes to pick you up once you've requested them at JFK.

Last edited by rpjs; Aug 8th 2017 at 2:07 pm. Reason: grammar
Old Aug 8th 2017, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

[dupe]

Last edited by rpjs; Aug 8th 2017 at 2:07 pm. Reason: dupe
Old Aug 8th 2017, 2:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There is no specific answer to that question - it depends how many people are having visa-entries processed at the time youarrive and how many CBP officers are on duty, .... and whether any officers are on lunch break, gone to the toilet, etc.

In short you could be done and finished in 15 minutes, or waiting for two or more hours.

FWIW when I arrived on my CR-1 late the evening at Newark there were very few CBP officers on duty in the secondary office, but there was only one other person (passenger/immigrant) there for whatever reason. I was pretty much ignored for the first ten minutes but was finished and on my way in less than 20 minutes.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 8th 2017 at 2:38 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh i'm in the same position..

I'll be entering on my IR1 visa in October and not sure how long it'll take as I have someone picking us up too!

Also do I go through the US citizens queue with my husband and daughter?
Old Aug 8th 2017, 2:17 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

It really is a how long is a piece of string question. I have made it through in about 30 mins in JFK on my O-3, similar one time at Dulles but other times it has been 2 to 3 hours. All depends on number of CBP staff on the desk, how many international flights landing at/just before yours, etc etc. To be on the safe side I would allow a couple of hours.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 2:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MorsePacific
am going to get a town car at the other end - these are reimbursable expenses, and I'm going to have three suitcases with me (!) so I thought 'Why not?'
!
There are always yellow cabs waiting at JFK -- why not just take one rather than trying to guess when you'll get through?
Old Aug 8th 2017, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

My wife was coming through JFK twice this year; first time it took about 5 minutes, second time was over an hour.
There is a 'cell phone lot' for JFK. Give them your flight number so that they can get to the airport on schedule. Then get a contact number and call them when you are ready, as long as you don't mind waiting the 10 minutes it will take them to get to the terminal. I am sure that if you explain they will negotiate the waiting fee for a delay.

Last edited by Phyzz; Aug 8th 2017 at 3:38 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of

L1-B Visa.

Yeah, I realise it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but I've been through JFK enough times now to get an average for my regular ESTA trip so thought I'd try and canvas some opinion.

Nutmegger - I'm not overwhelmingly fond of the yellow cabs from JFK. I took one from the airport into the city during a stopover a couple of years ago and it was fine, but during a holiday last year our concierge at the hotel told us some horror stories of passengers being charged hundreds of $. I'm not going into the city either, I'm going to Melville Long Island and it can be quite a trek depending on traffic so would rather pay a flat fee.
I've also got a lot of luggage, and a lot of the yellow cabs now are cars with not a lot of trunk space IMO.

I'm also trying to expense all of these costs up-front for peace of mind. I go on holiday two days after arriving and want as little to do as possible (as the morning of the 25th I'm hustling into the city to get my SSN and a bank account setup).
Old Aug 8th 2017, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

It's best you get an uber/lyft. There's no possible way to know as everyone else has said. Totally depends on if you arrive around the same time as loads of other flights.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been through twice, first time we were actually in a cab less then 45 mins from touching down, thought it was the greatest airport ever!
Second time we were picking up a connection with a 3 hour stop and would have missed it but for the fact that our connection was seriously delayed, that day we thought it was the worst airport ever!!! You can't possibly tell.
When we moved a few weeks ago we ordered a driver in advance to pick us up at Newark as we had a lot of luggage and like you just wanted it booked. Anyway gave them the details of our flight and they kept an eye on its progress (we were delayed slightly) and were there no issues.
Good luck with your move.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fbf2006
It's best you get an uber/lyft. There's no possible way to know as everyone else has said. Totally depends on if you arrive around the same time as loads of other flights.

Any delay of your aircraft will affect your planning. Once my plane was delayed when someone got nervous and wanted to get off the plane. We were an hour later than scheduled and landed along with two other 747s. It took another hour to get through immigration. I missed my connecting flight and was stuck in DC overnight.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I came in to JFK with my K1.

Secondary processing was crazy busy. I was in and out in around 45 minutes though. It seemed to me that other people with big white envelopes like myself were getting pushed through quickly as I assume it's an easy process for them.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

It's crazy booking one ahead. You won't be able to predict how long it'll take.

Use a yellow cab or uber.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.