Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Intruder False Alarms Florida

Intruder False Alarms Florida

Old Jul 11th 2016, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intruder False Alarms Florida

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Gosh you guys get good service, I don't think anyone takes a blind bit of notice in the UK if an alarm goes off! Certainly shop alarms will go on for hours.

My sister has a very good security system (alarms/CCTV) but I don't think it has ever been triggered accidentally, even though she's got a cat.

I think in the UK the idea is just that burglars would be put off by an alarm from even attempting breaking in. After all, why burgle a house with an alarm when there are plenty that haven't got one? Even if there is an alarm activation I believe it is a private company who do the monitoring and only if they verified a genuine alarm situation would police be called.
"Stand alone" alarms are just that. They ring and may or may not scare off burglars and they should shut off after a certain time.

Others go to a monitoring station where the response will depend on the contract between the property owner and the monitoring centre. I had one like this for my UK business and it worked really well.

Here in the US, for my home, I have a monitored system for break-ins, fire and medical emergencies and my company always refers on to the appropriate emergency service.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cliffordc
Im a little confused. There are local ordinances in Florida that set out rules for false alarms. You are fined if police/sherif have to attend a false alarm.

In the UK the Police are only called if the alarm is confirmed either by way of CCTV image or if two or more sensors have been activated.

Is this the same for the US or do police attend all activations
I don't know about the UK. I believe there are a lot of outsourced alarm handling centers that "monitor" residential alarm services but I've never heard of one that allows you to specify how many sensors are triggered before police are called.

You may also need to register the alarm with the county you live in. I had a system installed and before I'd registered it my daughter opened the door one morning before we had turned the alarm off and my phone was on silent so I didn't answer the call-center. Two cops turned up about 30 minutes later; I got an $80 fine in the mail the next week - part of that was for non-registration.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 8:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I don't know about the UK. I believe there are a lot of outsourced alarm handling centers that "monitor" residential alarm services but I've never heard of one that allows you to specify how many sensors are triggered before police are called.

You may also need to register the alarm with the county you live in. I had a system installed and before I'd registered it my daughter opened the door one morning before we had turned the alarm off and my phone was on silent so I didn't answer the call-center. Two cops turned up about 30 minutes later; I got an $80 fine in the mail the next week - part of that was for non-registration.
Alarm systems had to be registered with our local police too...or face a fine.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 8:51 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cliffordc
In the UK the Police are only called if the alarm is confirmed either by way of CCTV image or if two or more sensors have been activated.

Is this the same for the US or do police attend all activations
This is a question for your alarm monitoring company. They are the ones calling the police out. Companies I have used in the past typically offer options as to whether to dispatch immediately or first attempt to contact someone on your call-list, or follow some other protocol. Business alarms typically have a customizable action plan that clearly defines how this works. Residential alarms typically have a more limited set of options.

I just added panic buttons to my hospital and had many options available to us. We chose the silent alarm with immediate dispatch when a panic button is pressed, we don't utilize any sensors as we are open 24/7/365. Our first 3 'false alarms' per year are free, then it is a sliding scale where you pay more for each of subsequent false alarms.

Contact your alarm monitoring company and ask them.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Alarm systems had to be registered with our local police too...or face a fine.
Oh, and here in Miami the fine goes up maybe 2x or 3x for the second false alarm and at some point they will ignore calls if your system keeps triggering false alarms.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that I kind of amazed by the number of people who appear to have alarms installed ...

Am I the only person who doesn't have one (and who has never even considered getting one)?
Old Jul 11th 2016, 9:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
I guess that I kind of amazed by the number of people who appear to have alarms installed ...

Am I the only person who doesn't have one (and who has never even considered getting one)?
Ours was a new house...alarms were standard.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 9:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

We were spending weekdays in the city when we got ours.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 9:56 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have an alarm on my home.
I live out in the Boonies on acreage and an alarm is worthless. It would take 30 to 45 minutes on a good day, if the police did respond at all.
If we are home then it is not going to be a good day for the intruder. If we are out then the house insurance will cover it.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 10:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that I kind of amazed by the number of people who appear to have alarms installed .....

We got ours just two and half years ago, or was it 18 months ago. Anyway it was quite recent, and it helps Mrs P feel better. It is a self-installed wifi-based system and not dependent on a phone line or cable connection for monitoring, which IMO was essential as a system that can be disabled by snipping an external wire is pretty useless.

We just started out with a basic package of door sensors and a couple of motion detectors, but we are contemplating upgrading it with a window/smash audio detector and a fire detector.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 11:32 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Our alarm was already fitted when we purchased the house, although we have improved on it.

The main reason we have it is we have the smoke and heat detectors linked to it. Not only will one of those trigger the house siren which you can't sleep though, a fire alert is an automatic call the fire department. With wooded houses I consider such a system a must, it might just save the house from serious damage if anything happened while we were out.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 11:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by lansbury
Our alarm was already fitted when we purchased the house, although we have improved on it.

The main reason we have it is we have the smoke and heat detectors linked to it. Not only will one of those trigger the house siren which you can't sleep though, a fire alert is an automatic call the fire department. With wooded houses I consider such a system a must, it might just save the house from serious damage if anything happened while we were out.
I'm not so bothered what happens whilst I am out. What concerned me was a tinderbox fire while we were asleep. We kept an emergency ladder in our bedroom and our daughter's bedroom...just in case.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 12:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not so bothered what happens whilst I am out. What concerned me was a tinderbox fire while we were asleep. We kept an emergency ladder in our bedroom and our daughter's bedroom...just in case.
Unless you lived in a three storey (UK) house that was likely unnecessary. It is quite easy to climb out of a second storey (US) window, and indeed that was a stunt that I and several friends did on more than one occasion when we were students.

Not only that, jumping from a second storey (UK) is far from a life-threatening trick either, and I recall a few years ago the BBC reported the case of a pensioner in the UK who jumped from a second storey flat window to escape a fire, ..... and he then ran to fetch a ladder to rescue others! For me that puts it all in perspective.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 12:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Unless you lived in a three storey (UK) house that was likely unnecessary. It is quite easy to climb out of a second storey (US) window, and indeed that was a stunt that I and several friends did on more than one occasion when we were students.

Not only that, jumping from a second storey (UK) is far from a life-threatening trick either, and I recall a few years ago the BBC reported the case of a pensioner in the UK who jumped from a second storey flat window to escape a fire, ..... and he then ran to fetch a ladder to rescue others! For me that puts it all in perspective.
It was 3 stories at the back and side of the house.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 12:49 am

It was 3 stories at the back and side of the house.
US or UK? Three storeys US = two storeys UK. ...... The pensioner I referred to above jumped out of the third storey (US).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.