Reload this Page >

Introduction

Introduction

Old Nov 18th 2017, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

abhisheks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Introduction

Hi everyone
I am newly naturalised british, but have been reading forums for last 1+ years.
Originally indian, entered Scotland via now closed Tier-1(General) visa and through that route finally gained british citizenship this month.
In India, while working as software professional gained B1/B2 for 10 years(now surrendered), so been to USA for onsite works. Even before coming to UK aspired to emigrate to USA.
I understand various visa routes like H1, L1 and additional visa prospect for E1/E2 as british national now(have gone through Pulaski's way page). Being indian IT guy i am exposed to news on H1 and other work permits.
In future i would love to keep an eye on USA opportunities, so would like to have suggestions on how to go about looking for jobs. Apart from Dice & Glassdoor, what other sources would be good to look at and explore?
Currently i am working for JPmorgan, where i joined couple of months back. JPMC does have relocation opportunities but its not so simple and not sure shot way.
Any suggestions of any kind is welcome and appreciated.
Thanks all
Old Nov 19th 2017, 2:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction

Linkedin, maybe?

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2017, 3:35 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abhisheks
Currently i am working for JPmorgan, where i joined couple of months back. JPMC does have relocation opportunities but its not so simple and not sure shot way.
Any suggestions of any kind is welcome and appreciated.
Thanks all
But it probably gives you a better chance than an H-1B with its huge oversubscription.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Linkedin, maybe?

Rene
Sure Rene, thanks, i am there and active too, but was thinking of USA specific.

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
But it probably gives you a better chance than an H-1B with its huge oversubscription.
it sure does and it is best bet for now. As per company policy, I have to complete 18 months (early 2019) to start looking to move within and that too will be tough if need to move vertically from associate to lead/manager. Idea of asking here to find possible alternatives.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 12:00 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

it sure does and it is best bet for now. As per company policy, I have to complete 18 months (early 2019) to start looking to move within and that too will be tough if need to move vertically from associate to lead/manager. Idea of asking here to find possible alternatives.
With an H-1B the earliest you would be working here is October 2018. So early 2019 is not that different. If you want it badly enough, you'll do what needs to be done to get here. No one here on this forum is going to give their free time to help you find a job. If that's what you thought this forum is about you're mistaken. We can tell you about our experiences of moving and making the transition to life over here, answer general questions about what it's really like living here (clue - it's nothing like holidays to Disney World or Hollywood films) but you need to do the hard work yourself. Ironically, if you're not prepared to think beyond the obvious and take on a project like this you might not be what they are looking for in a management candidate anyway.

My advice - leave the H-1B lottery for those who have no other options and focus on career development in your current company. Even if you don't get your desired move to the US, you'll gain in so many other aspects along the way.

See it as a long term plan. It's not going to happen overnight. It's something to work for, not an entitlement.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with having multiple visa petitions simultaneously. You don't need to go on a moral stand of not wanting to take an H-1B from someone who has no possibility of a transfer.

OP, go for anything you can to make the move work.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 12:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

With an H-1B the earliest you would be working here is October 2018. So early 2019 is not that different. If you want it badly enough, you'll do what needs to be done to get here. No one here on this forum is going to give their free time to help you find a job. If that's what you thought this forum is about you're mistaken. We can tell you about our experiences of moving and making the transition to life over here, answer general questions about what it's really like living here (clue - it's nothing like holidays to Disney World or Hollywood films) but you need to do the hard work yourself. Ironically, if you're not prepared to think beyond the obvious and take on a project like this you might not be what they are looking for in a management candidate anyway.

My advice - leave the H-1B lottery for those who have no other options and focus on career development in your current company. Even if you don't get your desired move to the US, you'll gain in so many other aspects along the way.

See it as a long term plan. It's not going to happen overnight. It's something to work for, not an entitlement.
On reading his posts, I never once got the impression that he was asking us to find him employment but rather asking for possible ways to emigrate to the US that he is unaware of at the moment.

There is also no reason why he should not attempt to go the H-1B route as tom said you can have more than one visa application in at any time.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 2:20 pm
Banned

I didn't really mean that he should dismiss the H-1B (heck, he could probably apply for the DV too while it's still going as he was not born in the U.K.). What I was trying (badly) to say was that he seemed to be dismissing the company transfer option in favour of the H-1B and I'm saying he shouldn't pin his hopes on that. That should be his secondary focus and have a company transfer as a primary focus. He seemed to be put off by the fact that he would have to work 18 months in the company before he can apply for a transfer and I was pointing out that if an H-1B is not necessarily any quicker. We all know with immigration (well, those of us who have done it) that the quickest way is not always the best way for the individual. The K-1 would have been quicker for me but was absolutely the wrong visa choice for me in the long-term. I was trying to help the OP be a bit more long-sighted about this, rather than wanting the quickest solution.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 2:31 pm
Banned

so would like to have suggestions on how to go about looking for jobs. Apart from Dice & Glassdoor, what other sources would be good to look at and explore?
Originally Posted by Rete
On reading his posts, I never once got the impression that he was asking us to find him employment

Huh? I suppose we read different opening posts. I quoted from the one I read anyway.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks tom169 and Rete, for your responses.

Huh? I suppose we read different opening posts. I quoted from the one I read anyway.
Twinkle0927 as Rete said, i never asked anyone to find me employment or spoon feed me. I am here to get guidance, pointers, suggestions which i guess is not wrong thing to seek?
Asking for job portals is not same as asking to find me job?
Also i am not sure why i appear to be i)desparate, ii)in favor of H1, iii)not happy & willing to work my way in company? I think i never once complained, but just sharing my situation and seeking information which might be useful and i might be unaware of. Another info you missed about me i guess is my Indian origin, so DV is off the card for me.
Please don't go ballistic on me and rather ignore me and my thread, but thanks anyway for your responses.

Last edited by abhisheks; Nov 19th 2017 at 3:18 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 6:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Dice and Glassdoor are not employment sites but rather networking sites. That is not the same as asking someone to help them find employment but asking if there are other networking sites that he might want to join to further his chances of being recognized. Besides, many posters on here in the past, and I'm sure in the future, will ask the very same thing. It is not like asking someone to put in a word for them with their employer on their behalf.

It is not that we read different opening posts but that our reading comprehension is far different.