Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Interview Tips

Interview Tips

Old Dec 21st 2017, 12:23 am
Just Joined

douglasbr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interview Tips

What tips do you recommend for interview at the consulate?

What to do and what not to do?

Visa Tourist
Old Dec 21st 2017, 2:14 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview Tips

Don't lie.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 3:10 am
Just Joined

douglasbr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
Don't lie.

I did not lie and I had the visa denied, I will try the second time.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 3:20 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Well without knowing why you applied for a B visa and which you already had an interview, which you failed to mention, we have no way of guessing what the reason(s) were for your denial.

Could be:

1. You were eligible to use the VWP/ESTA and therefore, were denied a B visa;

2. You do not have enough proof of your ties to the UK and therefore, it is suspected that you might not leave the US in a timely manner; or

3. You might have a criminal record; or

4. You have overstayed on a previous visit.

Now, you have landed in the awkward position of:

1. Always having to obtain a B visa because of the denial of the first B visa;

2. Not attempting to try for a visa again for at least 6 months because to file too soon after denial is certain to cause the next attempt to be denied as well.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 21st 2017 at 4:54 am.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 4:42 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by douglasbr
I did not lie and I had the visa denied, I will try the second time.
Unfortunately my crystal ball didn't tell me that.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 4:55 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Unfortunately my crystal ball didn't tell me that.
Handing Lansbury a bottle of windex and a soft cloth.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

If they denied you for a visa the chances of you getting it the second go around are probably slim to none (assuming you’re talking about applying again with 6-12 months of the recent denial).

Are you ineligible to use the VWP/ESTA?
Old Dec 21st 2017, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

if and when a visa is denied....do you not get given a reason why?
Old Dec 21st 2017, 4:04 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
if and when a visa is denied....do you not get given a reason why?
Yes, they are given a reason. Why do you ask? The OP was asking for assistance in turning the next interview into a positive.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
Handing Lansbury a bottle of windex and a soft cloth.
Thank you, it's much clearer now without the smears on the glass.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they are given a reason. Why do you ask? The OP was asking for assistance in turning the next interview into a positive.
no specific reason.... just asking and wondering about everything as I haven't had my own interview yet.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 6:12 pm
Concierge

Oh, didn't realize you were applying for a B visa to the US. Thought you were married to a USC and were here adjusting status.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh, didn't realize you were applying for a B visa to the US. Thought you were married to a USC and were here adjusting status.
is this for me? neither of the above. I am applying for L2 - I didn't realise the title of this thread is only relevant to B visa, it sounded to me like OP looking for interview technique advice

Last edited by karenkaren1; Dec 21st 2017 at 6:37 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Tell the interviewer they have dreamy eyes (even if they look like piss-holes in the snow). That might work.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 7:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
is this for me? neither of the above. I am applying for L2 - I didn't realise the title of this thread is only relevant to B visa, it sounded to me like OP looking for interview technique advice
I would say since the OP specified "visa tourist", the replies should stick to that. B-2 visa interviews are much more difficult than work or marriage based visas.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.