Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Internet radios

Internet radios

Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet radios

Originally Posted by sime303
Or just buy one of these

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=166903

Plug it into your comp and transmit to any radio in your house.
technically illegal in the UK though...the whole broadcasting without a license thing.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:24 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
technically illegal in the UK though...the whole broadcasting without a license thing.
Ah right, I thought that had all been sorted out.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ah right, I thought that had all been sorted out.
it might have been, but I hadn't heard of it...who knows
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:38 am

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
it might have been, but I hadn't heard of it...who knows
These are the links and short blurb about them from wikipedia about use in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fm_tran...y_developments

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/cond...ion/statement/

UK legality developments
Regulations to legalise the use of certain types of FM transmitter came into force on 8 December 2006. From the end of 2006 the iTrip and other FM transmitters can be used without licence in the United Kingdom. To be legal, it must carry a CE mark which indicates their approval for sale in the European Union. Some FM transmitters have been manufactured for sale and use specifically in the US. These devices do not carry a CE mark and will remain illegal to use in the UK.

The new Regulations set out the technical specifications for legal devices. This is to minimise the risk of interference to other radio devices. In particular, the Regulations set a 50 nanoWatts power limit for legal devices, which limits the distance at which they can broadcast to up to 8 metres.

The changes to the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949 were announced in a statement from Ofcom.

Use of FM transmitters is now governed by Wireless Telegraphy Exemption Regulations
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

These are the links and short blurb about them from wikipedia about use in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fm_tran...y_developments

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/cond...ion/statement/

UK legality developments
Regulations to legalise the use of certain types of FM transmitter came into force on 8 December 2006. From the end of 2006 the iTrip and other FM transmitters can be used without licence in the United Kingdom. To be legal, it must carry a CE mark which indicates their approval for sale in the European Union. Some FM transmitters have been manufactured for sale and use specifically in the US. These devices do not carry a CE mark and will remain illegal to use in the UK.

The new Regulations set out the technical specifications for legal devices. This is to minimise the risk of interference to other radio devices. In particular, the Regulations set a 50 nanoWatts power limit for legal devices, which limits the distance at which they can broadcast to up to 8 metres.

The changes to the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949 were announced in a statement from Ofcom.

Use of FM transmitters is now governed by Wireless Telegraphy Exemption Regulations
so they're pretty much useless unless in the car then...

Saying that, used to use one here and it was the biggest pile of kack...worked in Maine when there aren't any radios, but down here you couldn't go five feet without it conking out with interferance from some rubbish station or other
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Bob
so they're pretty much useless unless in the car then...

Saying that, used to use one here and it was the biggest pile of kack...worked in Maine when there aren't any radios, but down here you couldn't go five feet without it conking out with interferance from some rubbish station or other
Yeah I found that problem when I got into built up areas but for around the house they work alright.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:01 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

THis is a whole house transmitter and I am pretty sure it's legal in the USA since it's designed for realtors...

http://www.amazon.com/Whole-House-FM.../dp/B0007ODOMA

The other ones only go about 30 ft. This goes to a few thousand! There are a few other options if you search for whole house transmitter on Google. Plus it into you computer and every radio in your house can pick up the internet radio or other music playing on you computer.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by franc111s
THis is a whole house transmitter and I am pretty sure it's legal in the USA since it's designed for realtors...

http://www.amazon.com/Whole-House-FM.../dp/B0007ODOMA

The other ones only go about 30 ft. This goes to a few thousand! There are a few other options if you search for whole house transmitter on Google. Plus it into you computer and every radio in your house can pick up the internet radio or other music playing on you computer.
that certainly wouldn't be legal in the UK
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

Manx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to all

I have the Sanyo radio too (the one that works from the Reciva website via Wi Fi) and I love it. You can "bookmark" up to 8 stations and it's really easy for a non-techie person to use. I also like that you can search in different ways - by genre, country etc. It's great to be able to switch back and forth between american and British news stations and find great music from all over the world. I can't always get reception for our local NPR radio station in the house (the car radio works but not radios inside the house) and I used to have to listen to it from the computer - this is much better.