British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   increased costs with HIFX transfers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/increased-costs-hifx-transfers-728829/)

savannah_boy Aug 16th 2011 3:16 pm

increased costs with HIFX transfers

Hi folks I send money from the UK to the US each month. Until now HIFX had no transfer costs and they also refunded any costs at the receiving end (for me that's $12 that Bank of America charge for wires).

Now it costs me 9GBP to send from HIFX and the $12 to receive.

What do you all do to keep costs down? I cannot afford to transfer less often.
Cheers

Elvira Aug 16th 2011 3:19 pm

Re: increased costs with HIFX transfers

Originally Posted by savannah_boy (Post 9563078)
Hi folks I send money from the UK to the US each month. Until now HIFX had no transfer costs and they also refunded any costs at the receiving end (for me that's $12 that Bank of America charge for wires).

Now it costs me 9GBP to send from HIFX and the $12 to receive.

What do you all do to keep costs down? I cannot afford to transfer less often.
Cheers

XE Trade?

savannah_boy Aug 16th 2011 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 9563090)
XE Trade?

What are the costs involved? Do you use them personally?

Elvira Aug 16th 2011 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by savannah_boy (Post 9563116)
What are the costs involved? Do you use them personally?

never paid a penny

have used them for years

No problems, ever

savannah_boy Aug 16th 2011 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 9563146)
never paid a penny

have used them for years

No problems, ever

Ok Elvira can you tell me what their rate for GBP to the USD is today? It won't let me get a rate until I sign up. HIFX gave me 1.5982
Thanks

Elvira Aug 16th 2011 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by savannah_boy (Post 9563185)
Ok Elvira can you tell me what their rate for GBP to the USD is today? It won't let me get a rate until I sign up. HIFX gave me 1.5982
Thanks

1.00 GBP = 1.62 USD

savannah_boy Aug 16th 2011 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 9563190)
1.00 GBP = 1.62 USD

wow that rate looks good, what security checks did they perform on you to set up your account?

Elvira Aug 16th 2011 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by savannah_boy (Post 9563192)
wow that rate looks good, what security checks did they perform on you to set up your account?

i expect all the information is on their website.

I remember standard 'apply for an account' type Qs, but it was a long time ago. Took about a week to set up.

why not give them a call. I have always found them very helpful.

Bob Aug 17th 2011 12:29 am

Originally Posted by savannah_boy (Post 9563192)

http://www.xe.com/ all the info is on the site, from the rate to what you need to do, they've made it easier too from a couple years ago where you had to faff around so much...

You sure you didn't check out the wrong site?

Duncan Roberts Aug 17th 2011 1:32 am

I just signed up for xe, took 48 hours but other than the online application I did nothing else. Wire transfers cost money but if you can wait a few extra days and don't need to tag on a reference number (like if you are paying a bill to a company or similar) then the service is free. At least from UK to USA and vice verso plus a few other countries. To give you an example, I booked a trade on the 9th and it was sent out to the UK yesterday and they quote up to 7 business days to get to the recipient.

savannah_boy Aug 17th 2011 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 9563553)
I just signed up for xe, took 48 hours but other than the online application I did nothing else. Wire transfers cost money but if you can wait a few extra days and don't need to tag on a reference number (like if you are paying a bill to a company or similar) then the service is free. At least from UK to USA and vice verso plus a few other countries. To give you an example, I booked a trade on the 9th and it was sent out to the UK yesterday and they quote up to 7 business days to get to the recipient.

well I did a quick calculation and with XE it would have saved me 60 GBP on a 2000 transfer so it seems worth it for sure. I will sign up and do a one off transfer and see how I feel after that.

wareagle Aug 17th 2011 2:43 pm

i cant be sure but I think HiFX only charge if you're transferring over more than a set limit. I know I was charged for a larger than normal transfer but nothing for the several smaller ones i've done

I'd suggest calling them and asking if you can make severla smaller one's a month. At the least I'd expect them to not want to lose your custom so they might be able to come to an agreement

cranston Aug 17th 2011 3:01 pm

another vote for XE

They seem to be +/- 1.75% of spot.

Example spot now £= 1.6560, they buy @ 1.6270 and sell @ 1.6870

rallybug Aug 17th 2011 7:07 pm

I just used the Post Office International transfers for a large sum of money yesterday - because it was around 4pm UK time, it didn't go through until today.

Money was paid from my UK bank account using my debit card, left Post Office (who use HiFx) and is already showing as an inward wire credit on my Wells Fargo account in Utah. Got a rate of 1.6221.

No charge.

savannah_boy Aug 18th 2011 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by rallybug (Post 9565305)
I just used the Post Office International transfers for a large sum of money yesterday - because it was around 4pm UK time, it didn't go through until today.

Money was paid from my UK bank account using my debit card, left Post Office (who use HiFx) and is already showing as an inward wire credit on my Wells Fargo account in Utah. Got a rate of 1.6221.

No charge.

Thanks for that. Interesting that HIFX are charging extras if you go straight though them now BUT if you use the post office (who use HiFX) it's free! hmmm