Reload this Page >

Immigration UK to USA under new President

Immigration UK to USA under new President

Old Nov 30th 2016, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

sjellyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration UK to USA under new President

Hello everyone,
I've just joined this forum, as we (me USC and hubby UKC) are planning to begin immigration paperwork to move together to the US March of 2018.
I moved to the UK in 2012 after we were married and we now plan to move to my home state of Florida.
I see alot of worried posts from people in a similar position (on this forum and also on Facebook forums), either speeding up their plans to immigrate or postponing them.
Do we realistically need to be worried that should we start the application process next year (June-ish), there would be a real possibility of not getting approved? Will the worry be more about fee increases than getting approval?
I don't want to get caught up in panic about it, but what are the probable realities of Brexit and President-elect Trump's administration on our 2017/18 plans?
Many thanks in advance,
sjellyman
Old Nov 30th 2016, 12:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration UK to USA under new President

IMO, for what it's worth, you have no reason to panic as I see the chances of a change to immigration law impacting the spouse of a US citizen, being highly unlikely.

In any case, Donald Trump's pronouncements were against illegal immigrants, and his strategy for changes (if any) to legal immigration are much less clear.

Might I also suggest that you find a more reliable source for your immigration information than Farcebook.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

sjellyman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, I have been keeping an realistic/optimistic stance! (and I do take what I read on FB with a grain of salt!) Many thanks again for your input.
sjellyman
Old Nov 30th 2016, 1:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As for the issue of increased fees, that was scheduled to be done before election time and will be increased in towards the end of December. In some cases, the increase is substantial. You can find the new increased amounts under the pin thread in the immigration forum.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

On the increased fees front, it sucks for the consumer to pay more, but don't rush your paperwork etc just to beat the deadline.

Last thing you want to deal with is delays backwards and forth with USCIS.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems the EU will implode before BREXIT happens.

Trump did mention enhanced checks for Muslims. Otherwise it is more an issue for those using unofficial routes.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 4:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
..... Otherwise it is more an issue for those using unofficial routes.
They're apparently gonna need to bring a ladder.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike the President Elect; you'll actually have make sure you have filed some US tax returns; so if you have not you should catch up now.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Cook_County
Unlike the President Elect; you'll actually have make sure you have filed some US tax returns; ....
I haven't seen any reports that Donald Trump hasn't filed (one or more) tax returns.

If you're talking about one or more years when he didn't have any taxes to pay, that is an entirely separate matter!
Old Dec 1st 2016, 12:58 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see it being an immigration issue, if you haven't got a job though I can't see how Tom Price isn't going to bugger up the ACA.

USCIS has recently jacked up fees btw.

What I want to know is, how is this crazy repeal two regulations for every new one going to work? That just seems a recipe for total government gridlock.