Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm a wimp. Homesick

I'm a wimp. Homesick

Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm a wimp. Homesick

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Could just do with a trip to Fla myself. Hubby keeps wanting to buy an investment home down there, but the hurricanes make me a little nervous. :scared:
I thought the last hurricanes, would have dropped the prices 30 - 50%, instead they have gone up.
Reg.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blond joke. No offence to Blondes

Didn't realise that was you in the truck when I was trying to get those freakin' shoes off the 'gator.
I recognized you, by your equipment.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
I thought the last hurricanes, would have dropped the prices 30 - 50%, instead they have gone up.
Reg.
Whereabouts are you going in Fla.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Whereabouts are you going in Fla.
Fort Lauderdale. Usually stay in: http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/FLLSBI called a few days ago, they said $519 a night. I just checked the site no rooms available. I stayed in this hotel in 1986, think it was $69 out of season.
Florida, was cheap, not anymore.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Fort Lauderdale. Usually stay in: http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/FLLSBI caaled a few days ago, they said $519 a night. I just checked the site no rooms available. I stayed in this hotel in 1986, think it was $69 out of season.
Florida, was cheap, not anymore.
Reg. Frank R.

WOW just like Vegas, gone are the 'all you can eat for $3.95' meals there.

Fort Lauderdale is nice though, a lot of hubby's ex collegues have homes in Naples Fla.

Do you need someone to carry your cases?
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

WOW just like Vegas, gone are the 'all you can eat for $3.95' meals there.

Fort Lauderdale is nice though, a lot of hubby's ex collegues have homes in Naples Fla.

Do you need someone to carry your cases?
Anytime, feel free. I like Naples, Marco, sanibel etc & the gulf side 6 am - 6 pm, then gets buggy & boring, tho they have built more recently. South beach too plastic.
Reg. Frank R.
Ciao. off to BED,
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Anytime, feel free. I like Naples, Marco, sanibel etc & the gulf side 6 am - 6 pm, then gets buggy & boring, tho they have built more recently. South beach too plastic.
Reg. Frank R.
Ciao. off to BED,

Yep me too, night.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:54 am
Account Closed

Moribundian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by frodsham
Been here 2 years, hate every minute. Luck has it that I get back for a week every 3 months. Anyone else wish they were back HOME?
Don't be too hard on yourself frodsham! There is nothing wimpish about being homesick. I haven't even left Albion but moved from a deprived area of the city to the countryside and hated it for the first couple of years. (I suppose that is kind of why I sometimes feel like an expat). If some mysterious force suddenly offered me a choice between my old life and my new one I'm still not quite sure how I would decide - but when presented with such a choice the new life may seem a whole lot more precious. Britain will always be here and you can always come back, sometimes just knowing that may help. Britain is its people - no matter where in the World they happen to live.

Inland Review
Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Moribundian
Don't be too hard on yourself frodsham! There is nothing wimpish about being homesick. I haven't even left Albion but moved from a deprived area of the city to the countryside and hated it for the first couple of years. (I suppose that is kind of why I sometimes feel like an expat). If some mysterious force suddenly offered me a choice between my old life and my new one I'm still not quite sure how I would decide - but when presented with such a choice the new life may seem a whole lot more precious. Britain will always be here and you can always come back, sometimes just knowing that may help. Britain is its people - no matter where in the World they happen to live.

Inland Review

Know what you mean. When I first left Sheffield to live in Wilmslow, Cheshire I was really homesick. The people were so different even though I'd only moved about 40 miles.

The problem with being an expat is that we have moved on since leaving the UK and life/people in the UK have moved on also. You can't turn the clock back and the other side of the fence is always greener.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

yorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to behold

Awww homesickness is horrible, but it doesn't usually stay so intense for so long. You say you have been in the US for two years and hated every minute? That is a tough one mate. Maybe, like another poster said, you might try moving to another state? There were a couple of places that I lived in the UK that I hated every minute of and then was really happy just a few miles away in a different area, maybe it is just the part you are in that you don't like.

I have had bouts of homesickness now and then since being here, just when I think I am over it something triggers it and I have a really intense longing to get the hell outta here and go 'home', but that hasn't happened since January and I think that was triggered by the first xmas away from the UK. Most of the time now I am really happy living here, not so at first, everything was strange and 'wrong' I was constantly saying 'but in England we do it this way.....' Now I have stopped saying that and realised some things are better and some are worse, but a lot are just different. I find it hard to say 'never' when thinking about going back, but I tend to feel 'not right now' whenever i imagine going, so one day at a time.

If I had hated every minute for two years I would def be trying to move tho! To another area, county, state and if that didn't work then back to the UK. Life is too short to spend hating every minute in the place where you live.
Good luck
Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by yorkshire_lass
Awww homesickness is horrible, but it doesn't usually stay so intense for so long. You say you have been in the US for two years and hated every minute? That is a tough one mate. Maybe, like another poster said, you might try moving to another state? There were a couple of places that I lived in the UK that I hated every minute of and then was really happy just a few miles away in a different area, maybe it is just the part you are in that you don't like.

I have had bouts of homesickness now and then since being here, just when I think I am over it something triggers it and I have a really intense longing to get the hell outta here and go 'home', but that hasn't happened since January and I think that was triggered by the first xmas away from the UK. Most of the time now I am really happy living here, not so at first, everything was strange and 'wrong' I was constantly saying 'but in England we do it this way.....' Now I have stopped saying that and realised some things are better and some are worse, but a lot are just different. I find it hard to say 'never' when thinking about going back, but I tend to feel 'not right now' whenever i imagine going, so one day at a time.

If I had hated every minute for two years I would def be trying to move tho! To another area, county, state and if that didn't work then back to the UK. Life is too short to spend hating every minute in the place where you live.
Good luck

Yes but you're in paradise not mainland USA. Just joking 'cos its my favourite place in the whole wide world and I'm as jealous as hell.

I hated my first 2 yrs here too. Things improved when we moved out of a rental and bought a house. We got a dog too and as a dog lover that really helped. Try to look to the future and not dwell in the past too much, I know its easy to say but I really do try not to think of my 'past life' too much.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: I'm a wimp. Homesick

Hiya. There are a couple of people on BE who lived in Vicars X. I have been here for 10 yrs, first 2 yrs were dreadful, but then it started to get better. Do you still have a home in Frodsham? Used to take my dogs to the vets there.
I lived on Sealand Road, for a couple of years, in the late 80s.

Jim.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 11:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

[QUOTE=Scouse Express]I lived on Sealand Road, for a couple of years, in the late 80s.

Jim.[/QUOTE

That makes at least 4 BE's from Chester. Small world.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Jerseygirl]
Originally Posted by Scouse Express
I lived on Sealand Road, for a couple of years, in the late 80s.

Jim.[/QUOTE

That makes at least 4 BE's from Chester. Small world.
Or maybe shows, there are a lot of people trying to escape from Chester?
Reg. Frank r.
Looks cold damp & rainy out. UGH!
Old Apr 24th 2006, 12:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

[QUOTE=frrussre]
Or maybe shows, there are a lot of people trying to escape from Chester?
Reg. Frank r.
Looks cold damp & rainy out. UGH!
Morning Frank. Yes its just like being back in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.