Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

National Insurance Number -UK Please help!

National Insurance Number -UK Please help!

Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute
Default National Insurance Number -UK Please help!

Maybe I am in the wrong forum , but I have a question for someone who is from the UK, I got an offer for a well paid job and live in London, I am European Citizen in (EU) I have applied for the NIN number. I would be call for an interview. My question is, is the NIN number in UK something like SSN over here in the States?
Can u apply for loans, shool, open up bank account etc...? Is it such a credit like we have in the USA? I would appreciate any answer. Thank you.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: National Insurance Number -UK Please help!

milan, I've moved your thread to the USA forum; many US + UK residents who will know the answer/differences for you.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milan79
Maybe I am in the wrong forum , but I have a question for someone who is from the UK, I got an offer for a well paid job and live in London, I am European Citizen in (EU) I have applied for the NIN number. I would be call for an interview. My question is, is the NIN number in UK something like SSN over here in the States?
Can u apply for loans, shool, open up bank account etc...? Is it such a credit like we have in the USA? I would appreciate any answer. Thank you.
Hi Milan,

I don't know about the NIN number, but I would think twice about leaving the USA for extended periods while you're waiting for your I-751 to be adjudicated.

Rene
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

A NIN is what the social security number was supposed to be. It is just used for tax purposes in the UK, loans and all that stuff are not tied to it.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your answers, so how Do you apply for a credit card or student loan etc..?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know Rene, but here is my other question, will I have to contact USCIS about address change? Because of that?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:56 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

credit records in the UK are based on your name and home address. You will need proof you are living at the address ie utility bills etc to get started. If you move they will ask how long at current address and if under 3 years will ask for previous address so they can check there too.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Hi

I've been in London for 8 years and just found out that the tax people and my employers had an incorrect NI number for me. Its been wrong since my first job!

With that in mind I've never had any issues in living here at all. I think the only time I've given it to anyone is:

a) a job (only my first one)
b) The doctor when I first signed up.

You don't need it for to achieve any of the above but if you start a job without one you may be taxed at a higher rate (emergency NI) rather than the correct rate. Once you get it you tell your employee and your next pay will be adjusted to the correct rate once they have the correct tax code from HMRC.

It is used to store your National Insurance contributions against - ie Pension, Unemployment if you are eligible.

Banks are never interested in it.

To apply for a credit card / loan contact a bank. Word of warning it will take sometime to find a bank that will give you a credit card if you have no credit history in the UK. Do you have an Amex card in the US ? They are the only card issuer who will consider your worldwide Credit History with them and it may be easier to get a credit card which would then build your UK Credit history for loans etc....

Goat.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hello to all of you! :-)
Your answers are very helpfull, so are you saying that credit is build on your name and home address? But don't people have same names sometimes? what if you are moving ? And if you are renting a room and utility is included how would you proove the utility bill if it not might be even in your name? How could you get a student loan? Thank you again
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:11 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Hello to all of you! :-)
Your answers are very helpfull, so are you saying that credit is build on your name and home address? But don't people have same names sometimes? what if you are moving ? And if you are renting a room and utility is included how would you proove the utility bill if it not might be even in your name? How could you get a student loan? Thank you again
then a mobile phone bill, or a medical card, or a bank statement, - some form of type written official letter that was sent to the address. Often requitre 2 of them anyway.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dear MsElui
So all you need is to show mobile phone bill that is paid on times and bank statement to be able to get credit card?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Dear MsElui
So all you need is to show mobile phone bill that is paid on times and bank statement to be able to get credit card?
You have to do what the company issuing the credit card asks. Different places may want different things. Fill in the form and see what happens.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:04 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

irrelevant that you paid on time at that point - all your doing is proving your address is legitimate. Once they have extablished you do live there - They would then search your name against that address to see if you had bad/good credit info. - look at my answer on the other post - i put a lot more detail there.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:08 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

Other id you can use -
british drivers licence.
Medical card issued when you register at a local doctors practice.
Benefit book (although think that may be old hat now and all done electronically - but a letter from the child benefit office, tax authorities, pension dept, etc would probably do).

basically its an official letter of some kind that has your name on it and was addressed and sent to your home through the post.

and the bills and statements should be within the last 3 months or so.

If you apply online - they you could be asked to send the address proof in.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... will I have to contact USCIS about address change?
Think about this for a moment. If you tell USCIS that you're going to change your address to some place in the UK... what do you think their reaction will be? What do you think will happen to your PR status?

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.