Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Idiots guide to healthcare system needed!

Idiots guide to healthcare system needed!

Old Oct 29th 2014, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Idiots guide to healthcare system needed!

Originally Posted by snj_2000
it isn't a temporary policy or a travel policy, but now i am worrying that it isn't going to be good enough :-(
my husband did a load of research and settled on this one, his company is a new company being set up as a US subsidiary of a UK company so this is unchartered water for them/us. it was paid for in one go afaik and was to cover him, me and our 2 little ones and it was expensive! We've definitely got the list of in network doctors and dentists to go to and I am certain it isn't travel or temporary but he is calling today for further info on the deductible amount and the copay. I am having a bit of a wobble about it after reading all this!
So it's not what we would know as a Group company policy (a health insurance policy which covers all members of the company) but a private individual policy taken out by the company to cover your family.

You say you have the list of in network doctors (which is good), you just need to find out about deductibles (the amount YOU have to pay before the insurance kicks in), co-pays (the amount you pay when you visit the doctor) and out of pocket maximum (the mount you pay per year before the policy pays for 100% of everything).

If its a very good policy you might find you don't have deductibles, co-pays and out of pocket expenses.

Better to find out all the details, than be hit by surprises.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

it isn't a temporary policy or a travel policy, but now i am worrying that it isn't going to be good enough :-(
my husband did a load of research and settled on this one, his company is a new company being set up as a US subsidiary of a UK company so this is unchartered water for them/us. it was paid for in one go afaik and was to cover him, me and our 2 little ones and it was expensive! We've definitely got the list of in network doctors and dentists to go to and I am certain it isn't travel or temporary but he is calling today for further info on the deductible amount and the copay. I am having a bit of a wobble about it after reading all this!
Ah, makes more sense now! Thanks for explaining. While I/we wouldn't want to panic you, on the other hand it is worth knowing as much as possible about health insurance. We've been here for two years on what turned out to be a very good policy and recently had to switch to one that turns out to be appalling, and it's like learning all over again.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 3:32 am
Just Joined

snj_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for all the advice everyone. My husband rang the insurance today and seems we have a very good policy. No copay, no deductible and we can visit out of network doctors and claim back if necessary. Weight lifted off my mind, and means we can get the $200 ear drops prescribed by the doctor for our son's ear infection, though pharmacy is a claim back thing so I will remember to check with the doctor if there is a generic available next time. Thanks again for the advice, I will no doubt be back for more when I next get confused :-)
Old Oct 30th 2014, 3:43 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for all the advice everyone. My husband rang the insurance today and seems we have a very good policy. No copay, no deductible and we can visit out of network doctors and claim back if necessary. Weight lifted off my mind, and means we can get the $200 ear drops prescribed by the doctor for our son's ear infection, though pharmacy is a claim back thing so I will remember to check with the doctor if there is a generic available next time. Thanks again for the advice, I will no doubt be back for more when I next get confused :-)
No copay, no deductibles, and out-of-network coverage? Holy cow!. That must have cost a pretty penny! ..... You could have a $20,000 policy there.

Unless the company is going to pay for that every year, you're going to get a rude shock when you transition to a mkre regular policy!