Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I want to move to New York from the UK

I want to move to New York from the UK

Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to move to New York from the UK

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
No 'immigration' required within the EU...you just move. (and learn the language)
I knew that, just wasn't sure what other verbage to use!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:04 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
could get by without learning if moving to the netherlands, probably do alright in denmark and sweden too.
Speaking of the Netherlands, there used to be an excellent Tandoori in Appeldoorn.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Galacticos
Yeah i know there are a few in and around Manhattan, but nothing that popped out to me with a high level of quality food, something that you remember by name and experience. This is the sort of thing we are setting up in the UK, along with banquiting suites, and the idea of opening a franchise in New York and other major cities is quite inspiring.

I have big ambition, and to acheive big things, you have to think big things.
check out 'the brick lane curry house' in the east village and tamarind on 22nd and park.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 7:26 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Galacticos
No that is cool, i need blunt answers. Well yes it is a degree by definition. I had a graduation ceremony and everything and attended a university, so yeah its a degree. I was reading on a website that a degree in business management is one of the desirable qualification for H1B, so i guess applying for jobs and seeing where that takes me is the first step. If i dont ask, i will never find out right?
It's not a degree. I remember a HNC being a little lower down the ladder than a HND, which I had to get in order to qualify for University. I'd take the extra time to keep studying, and work on getting a Masters degree if I were you. No one in NYC is going to take you seriously as a manager of anything here without one.

Sorry to be so blunt, but as many before have said, you have little to no chance of making it here as a UK citizen.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

If you become engaged to a nice girl who is a US citizen, you can come over here and work.

Best of luck.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
If you become engaged to a nice girl who is a US citizen, you can come over here and work.

Best of luck.
Remember, OP, marriage for GENUINE reasons!
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:17 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
It's not a degree. I remember a HNC being a little lower down the ladder than a HND, which I had to get in order to qualify for University. I'd take the extra time to keep studying, and work on getting a Masters degree if I were you. No one in NYC is going to take you seriously as a manager of anything here without one.

Sorry to be so blunt, but as many before have said, you have little to no chance of making it here as a UK citizen.
I went to University after obtaining my HNC. I had other qualifications as well, so maybe that made the difference. But I agree with the above post, no degree and they won't give you the time of day.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 3:06 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Until recently I worked in a UK university in the Engineering department. The COHE was what we gave to students who had managed to pass one-and-a-bit years of the three year BEng degree programme, but had no hope of successfully completing the degree.

In my experience the COHE is not a degree, but I am not familiar with the OP's uni or programme. Maybe they do it differently. Also our uni was not set up to offer COHEs as something to aim for as an end result - maybe some unis are.

Last edited by avanutria; Nov 14th 2009 at 4:55 pm. Reason: changed two to one-and-a-bit, as the COHE was given to second years who'd not passed.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 3:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

In response to the OP and various posts speculating on the situation regarding university education, many UK universities give intermediate awards to students who complete 1 or 2 years of university. Where I work, for example, 1 year/120 CR = Certificate, 2 yr/240 CR = Diploma, 3 yr/360 CR = unclassified degree, 4yr/480 CR = Honours degree.

It beats me how someone could go to university and not even be clear whether or not they have a degree. Surely all the OP has to do is look at what it says on the diploma handed out following "graduation"

As for really, really wanting to lve in the US, I really, really want to be as good looking as George Clooney, but have slightly more realistic expectations (more along the lines of Brad Pitt).
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Marry a USC or head down under - Australia. Your education and experience, due respect, next to no chance in short term of moving.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:11 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas
I went to University after obtaining my HNC. I had other qualifications as well, so maybe that made the difference. But I agree with the above post, no degree and they won't give you the time of day.
I actually ended up not quite getting the grades in my O levels to qualify for A levels, so had to spend a year doing a vocational course (CPVE) which led to my HND, which got me the points I needed for Uni. I know people who got into Uni with an HNC, but it was all about the points. It just took me an extra year of actually working, which I forgot to do at school, to get into Uni.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 1:48 am
Just Joined

Flasetta is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. I sure am glad I don't have the OPs problem. What a load of negative and truly horrid replies. You'd all think because you (like me) have made the USA home, that no one else should make the very same move to improve their life/lifestyles.

OP: try this site for all your needs and bloody good luck to you! :0)... Most of the stuff in this thread is utter gobbledygook!

www.usa.gov

Last edited by Flasetta; Nov 19th 2009 at 1:51 am.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Cat Whisperer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Flasetta
Wow. I sure am glad I don't have the OPs problem. What a load of negative and truly horrid replies. You'd all think because you (like me) have made the USA home, that no one else should make the very same move to improve their life/lifestyles.

OP: try this site for all your needs and bloody good luck to you! :0)... Most of the stuff in this thread is utter gobbledygook!

www.usa.gov
Uh oh - thowing my crash helmet on and running for cover!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:40 am
Just Joined

Flasetta is an unknown quantity at this point

No need for that Cat...
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:51 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flasetta

www.usa.gov
C'mon then, I'll play. You've pointed the OP to USA.gov. Choose one thing from that link that is of use to the OP in his/her quest to live in NYC. Just one. Let's see how helpful you actually are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.