British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I want to move to New York from the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-want-move-new-york-uk-639834/)

Galacticos Nov 9th 2009 4:20 pm

I want to move to New York from the UK

As the title states this is what i want to do. I am going to state my personal situation below, and i would like some serious advice on what my options are. I have been looking into the H1B visa, as this seems to be the most applicable to myself:-

Education: Certificate in Higher Education in Business and Management.

Experience: Working in customer service jobs, and also been a part of my fathers Catering business for the last 5 years, where i have gained valuable on the job business skills to complement the education recieved in the same field.

Marital Status: Single

Money saved: Not much, but i am saving daily and by the time i move im looking to have £10,000 saved atleast.

Why i want to move: Well i have been born and raised in the UK and although it has its perks, its just become such a negative, depressed country. Everyone is complaining, and having an education means nothing over here. I have a university education, and i cannot get a graduate job, and have spent the last year and a half working in customer service and call centre jobs, trying to make ends meat. The only positive is that i have gained tons of experience working with my father building up our catering business. Problem is that most of this has been unpaid, so i dont know how much that counts.

However, should the opportunity present itself, i would love to set up my own restaurant in New York. The dream is to have one on 7th Avenue, but for now any place else would be fine. On a visit to New York recently, i noticed that there are loads of places to eat in and around the city, but no Indian food restaurant. I think this is because the quality of indian food is poor, and so the demand for it is low. However i want to open a restaurant based on quality that caters to a niche in New York city.

In the mean time, i want to obtain a job in an American company that is well established, where I can fulfil my potential, which i feel is being wasted here in the UK. I find the American people extremely friendly and hospitable, which is a far cry from the stereotype I have heard in the news. I love the positive attitude of the american people, which is based on a togetherness, and patriotic spirit.

I want to be a part of this, and make America my home, so if anyone has any advice for me, i would really appreciate it. Anything positive or negative would be great, just keep things serious.

PS. Im totally not adverse to starting at the bottom. I hold a strong work ethic, and just cannot wait to get over to the US.

Many thanks in advance.

Just Jenney Nov 9th 2009 4:27 pm

Re: I want to move to New York from the UK

Welcome to BE. :)

Here you go: Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA

~ Jenney

Bluegrass Lass Nov 9th 2009 4:30 pm

Use the search function for "want to move to florida" and you'll find all the answers you need.

Take a look at:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

At this point, with no actual experience using your degree, your chance of getting an employment-based visa (which requires the company to hire you and sponsor you) is next to nothing. I'm willing to bet there are other places in the EU you would have better luck moving to and would be considerably easier to immigrate to.

If you're smart enough to get that degree, then you need to be smart enough to start doing your own research..the answers you are looking for are all over the web and this forum. We get dozens of your type of questions here everyday. It's very nice when the newbies have actually done their homework before coming on here and ask questions that have been answered hundreds..nay thousands, of times before.

pejpm1 Nov 9th 2009 4:35 pm

dont really have any advice that isnt in the posts above...but there are loads of Indian Restaurants in Manhattan. I can think of 10 off the top of my head, and I was in one just last week. Dont mean to be negative or anything, just letting you know.

Michelmas Nov 9th 2009 4:49 pm

I'm a little confused. You say you have a University education, then list a Certificate in Higher Education. Do you have a degree or not. If yes, that's one step to a H-1B. If not, you need work experience in lieu of the degree, and at 25, I doubt you have enough in your prospective field.

Sorry to be blunt, but your options look bleak.

BritishGuy36 Nov 9th 2009 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 8084432)
I'm willing to bet there are other places in the EU you would have better luck moving to and would be considerably easier to immigrate to.

No 'immigration' required within the EU...you just move. (and learn the language)

Galacticos Nov 9th 2009 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Michelmas (Post 8084475)
I'm a little confused. You say you have a University education, then list a Certificate in Higher Education. Do you have a degree or not. If yes, that's one step to a H-1B. If not, you need work experience in lieu of the degree, and at 25, I doubt you have enough in your prospective field.

Sorry to be blunt, but your options look bleak.

No that is cool, i need blunt answers. Well yes it is a degree by definition. I had a graduation ceremony and everything and attended a university, so yeah its a degree. I was reading on a website that a degree in business management is one of the desirable qualification for H1B, so i guess applying for jobs and seeing where that takes me is the first step. If i dont ask, i will never find out right?

BritishGuy36 Nov 9th 2009 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Galacticos (Post 8084396)
I want to be a part of this, and make America my home, so if anyone has any advice for me, i would really appreciate it. Anything positive or negative would be great, just keep things serious.

Here's a serious comment. The overwhelming probability is that you have zero chance of obtaining a visa. Try Canada or Australia.

Galacticos Nov 9th 2009 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by pejpm1 (Post 8084445)
dont really have any advice that isnt in the posts above...but there are loads of Indian Restaurants in Manhattan. I can think of 10 off the top of my head, and I was in one just last week. Dont mean to be negative or anything, just letting you know.

Yeah i know there are a few in and around Manhattan, but nothing that popped out to me with a high level of quality food, something that you remember by name and experience. This is the sort of thing we are setting up in the UK, along with banquiting suites, and the idea of opening a franchise in New York and other major cities is quite inspiring.

I have big ambition, and to acheive big things, you have to think big things.

elfman Nov 9th 2009 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Galacticos (Post 8084503)
No that is cool, i need blunt answers. Well yes it is a degree by definition. I had a graduation ceremony and everything and attended a university, so yeah its a degree.

doesn't sound like it is to me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certifi...gher_Education

rebs Nov 9th 2009 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Galacticos (Post 8084503)
No that is cool, i need blunt answers. Well yes it is a degree by definition. I had a graduation ceremony and everything and attended a university, so yeah its a degree. I was reading on a website that a degree in business management is one of the desirable qualification for H1B, so i guess applying for jobs and seeing where that takes me is the first step. If i dont ask, i will never find out right?

I don't think a certificate of higher education is a degree - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certifi...gher_Education

Which university did you attend? Reading say it's equivalent to the first year of a degree course -
http://www.reading.ac.uk/conted/09-1...ed-certhe.aspx

Bill_S Nov 9th 2009 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Galacticos (Post 8084396)
As the title states this is what i want to do. I am going to state my personal situation below, and i would like some serious advice on what my options are. I have been looking into the H1B visa, as this seems to be the most applicable to myself:-

Education: Certificate in Higher Education in Business and Management.

Is this Certificate a four-year degree from an accredited university? For an H1B, the JOB requires a candidate with a four year degree. If the candidate does not have the degree, experience can be substituted. I believe it's three years of specialized experience for each year lacking... so someone could be eligible for an H1B with a three year degree and three years of appropriate experience. (Don't hold me to that formula, however).

In reality, though, the above is asking about angels and heads of pins. There are millions of Americans out of work right now. For every job opening there are a huge number of applications from experienced people who don't need to be sponsored for a visa and who can start tomorrow. Unless you are uniquely talented and are headhunted, your chances of getting to the US via employment are exceedingly small.

Galacticos Nov 9th 2009 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 8084556)
Is this Certificate a four-year degree from an accredited university? For an H1B, the JOB requires a candidate with a four year degree. If the candidate does not have the degree, experience can be substituted. I believe it's three years of specialized experience for each year lacking... so someone could be eligible for an H1B with a three year degree and three years of appropriate experience. (Don't hold me to that formula, however).

In reality, though, the above is asking about angels and heads of pins. There are millions of Americans out of work right now. For every job opening there are a huge number of applications from experienced people who don't need to be sponsored for a visa and who can start tomorrow. Unless you are uniquely talented and are headhunted, your chances of getting to the US via employment are exceedingly small.

Grgh!!! Thanks everyone for ur responses. I really appreciate it. Its just annoying because all i wana do is live and work in the US. No matter how small the job, im willing to do it and be a productive member of society.

I have visits several times now, and just love the place. If only that meant something to the Lords of Immigration. lol.

ian-mstm Nov 9th 2009 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Galacticos (Post 8084570)
... all i wana do is live and work in the US.

With respect, what you want is, well... irrelevant. What skills do you have to offer the US that aren't already here in great abundance by people who do not need sponsoring for a visa and can start work tomorrow?

No matter how small the job, im willing to do it and be a productive member of society.
As admirable as that may be, again... it's largely irrelevant. US immigration law is written specifically to keep non-US citizens out of the US unless they fall within a very narrowly-defined group of exceptions.

So, to be blunt... another Indian restaurant in NYC (even a top class one) is a charming notion, but not realistic in the current economic climate.

Ian

Bob Nov 9th 2009 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 8084496)
No 'immigration' required within the EU...you just move. (and learn the language)

could get by without learning if moving to the netherlands, probably do alright in denmark and sweden too.