Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I have just been legally mugged in Publix super market

I have just been legally mugged in Publix super market

Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have just been legally mugged in Publix super market

I hope you understand that I'm talking(writing) tongue in cheek re. grass is greener and the nonsense from the candidates.

As for service I can think of a international store were they give outstanding service. Maybe it is because of the community I live in.

Prices. How about navel oranges for 68 cents a pound. Progresso soup 99¢ a can. All on sale. Potatoes $1.57 for 5 lbs. Oh and cereal for $1.68 a box.
Again $2.98 a gallon for gas.

Hang on I'm being weighed down with all the 'lolly' I'm saving.

Lets see now..I can't afford eyeglasses. I can't afford teeth work...
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 4:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I can't believe they are gonna cut the MBTA commuter lines at weekends! Do they think people don't work in Boston at weekends?
It's the commuter rail, not the T...plus if you're on the greenline, it's always a gamble you'd get anywhere anyway
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 4:43 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Which is easier said than done, when you either don't have a garden, or you have a water ban.

Window boxes only go so far...though I think this spring we're going to try some inverted cans hanging above the sink at our new place as it gets more sun, for herbs and tomatoes.

And how expensive is a bag of soil these days? A tiny bag around here costs around $20, it's mental.
I know it is easier for some than others. I didn't have much sunny space at my old place so I could barely grow a few tomatoes where there should have been flowers. My daughter is doing an urban (potted) garden this year, butI'll be taking all the supplies (except pots). Where I live, the college has set up "community" plots at the college and in various spots around town that the locals can use for free...they have to apply, etc, and volunteers help teach folks about gardening. My old town did nothing like this.

I've really got on the "buy local/grow you own" bandwagon in my community since moving here. I've volunteered to grown some extra stuff for my dad and kids as well, but I have the luxury of great soil and good farmer friends (and free water in my rain collection cistern and a well).

Last edited by tamms_1965; Jan 23rd 2012 at 4:46 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 4:52 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I know it is easier for some than others. I didn't have much sunny space at my old place so I could barely grow a few tomatoes where there should have been flowers. My daughter is doing an urban (potted) garden this year, butI'll be taking all the supplies (except pots). Where I live, the college has set up "community" plots at the college and in various spots around town that the locals can use for free...they have to apply, etc, and volunteers help teach folks about gardening. My old town did nothing like this.

I've really got on the "buy local/grow you own" bandwagon in my community since moving here. I've volunteered to grown some extra stuff for my dad and kids as well, but I have the luxury of great soil and good farmer friends (and free water in my rain collection cistern and a well).
Allotments, eh?
Bloody communists!
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 6:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

Prices. How about navel oranges for 68 cents a pound. Progresso soup 99¢ a can. All on sale. Potatoes $1.57 for 5 lbs. Oh and cereal for $1.68 a box.
Damn, that's good going.

It's $5 for a manky bag of oranges, about 4-6 oranges depending on size. Those soup cans are $1.50 and spuds are $4-7 a 5 lbs bag...and own brand cereal starts at $2 a box
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Damn, that's good going.

It's $5 for a manky bag of oranges, about 4-6 oranges depending on size. Those soup cans are $1.50 and spuds are $4-7 a 5 lbs bag...and own brand cereal starts at $2 a box

Here is the ad.

http://www.harmonsgrocery.com/ads/
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
It's the commuter rail, not the T...plus if you're on the greenline, it's always a gamble you'd get anywhere anyway
But I bet people on the purple line do work in Boston at weekends, in department stores etc. And people come in at weekends to eat, go to the theatre etc. Less visitors = less money these places make. Parking is very expensive so people would be put off coming in. And not everyone can drive. It just seems such backwards thinking.

It's funny how people moan about the London transport system, the high prices, constant upgrades and work, and say things like 'other countries manage to run their systems more cheaply and efficiently.' I guess they got that wrong. It would be better to have higher fares and a 21st century system that is kept up-to-date than cheap prices and a scrape-the-barrel system.

Sorry for the hijack. (Btw noone mentioned Stop & Shop or Star Market. Are these Boston area only supermarkets?)
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 11:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

..It would be better to have higher fares and a 21st century system that is kept up-to-date than cheap prices and a scrape-the-barrel system.

Sorry for the hijack. (Btw noone mentioned Stop & Shop or Star Market. Are these Boston area only supermarkets?)
It wouldn't be so bad if the MBTA was cheap, but it's not

Stop and Shop are all over the east coast at least, some decent deals with petrol points, but very hit or miss and mostly found them to be expensive so even if you had one with petrol the savings per gallon don't work out on the over spending on groceries.

Not heard of Star Market.

Another weird grocery store is Price Chopper, but it's shit, unless they have some deals going.

Roche Brothers, a MA thing? Anyway, they've generally got great fresh produce, meats and cheese, often a good chunk being pretty local, but it's still really expensive, not as bad as Whole Foods though.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Yes, we ARE bothered by what's going on around us!!! I, for one, just don't know what to do about it. The only thing I know to do is to shop each of the stores only for their reasonably priced products (i.e., "on sale") and do more "scratch" cooking. My boycotting certain products certainly doesn't work since all the major companies appear to be in bed with each other. It irks the snot out of me to note that the canned goods now have only 14.5 or 15 oz. rather than the original 16 (the basis for so many recipes in my mother's and Betty Crocker's cook books), but the prices have gone UP! The only grocery stores I can go to are either Wal-Mart or Kroger - there's no Safeway or SuperLo Foods in a decent area nearby, the nearest Publix is 175 miles east of us, Schnuck's has left the city, and the Whole Foods shop is over-priced shite!

So, tell me how to have an impact on food prices and other kinds of inflation. Write to my congressman? HAH! Tried to - messages wouldn't go through. Contact the stores? HAH! The store managers don't care, as long as they get their paychecks - the area managers are totally clueless and e.mails to the home office go unnoticed. Raising Cain in the store to get them to open more registers only gets you moved to a register manned by a "supervisor" to get you out of the store before you incite others to riot. There's no one in the produce department to point out the rotting and inferior fruit and vegetables to (this applies to both Kroger and Wal-Mart), and nobody in the Memphis area seems to give a crap about customer service!

We drove to Nashville and back yesterday to go shopping at Publix (who has quite a range of British foods - Kerry Gold butter, mushy peas, Heinz Baked Beans, HP Sauce, chocolate digestives, Carr's Ginger Lemon biscuits, etc.) just to find Kraft White Cheddar Mac & Cheese because it can no longer be located in the Memphis area. Publix' private label of that product is a good substitute, but others pale in comparison. The staff at that Publix (and 2 others in the Nashville area) have been cheerful, attentive, helpful and efficient every time we've been to any of them - contrary to what another poster indicated previously. Prices seem comparable to Kroger.

We buy very little Kroger meat - pork chops come from Aldi and I've become a convert to their ground beef as it's leaner, tastier and not as expensive.

My OH and I could go on and on - he, a whinging and moaning Brit and me a trappy American (as he puts it)! It does no good to turn a blind eye and ignore reality, "keep calm and carry on" or any other thing - we are sorely bothered but, like everybody else, frustratingly helpless to change it.

That do it for ya?
"[QUOTE=Egg and Cress;9858532]Yes, we ARE bothered by what's going on around us!!! I, for one, just don't know what to do about it."

I think you just did something about it. We all need to complain, to the stores, companies, our friends, on Blogs etc.
Lets at least tell everyone.

Reg. Frank R.

Last edited by frrussre; Jan 24th 2012 at 3:48 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It wouldn't be so bad if the MBTA was cheap, but it's not
The MTBA got saddled with a huge chunk of 'Big Dig' debt - hence the finances are a mess, the fares are going to creep up and upgrades are hard to come by.

It's funny how people moan about the London transport system, the high prices, constant upgrades and work, and say things like 'other countries manage to run their systems more cheaply and efficiently.' I guess they got that wrong. It would be better to have higher fares and a 21st century system that is kept up-to-date than cheap prices and a scrape-the-barrel system.
The actual service on the Underground wasn't too bad over the 5 or so years I lived in London - though it had it's share of delays, strikes and outages. The main problem was overcrowding - i.e at certain times it is virtually impossible to actually get on a train. The ones that are going run on time but every square inch is crammed with pissed-off commuters. I got on the wrong branch of the Northern Line once and had to get off. Took me about 7 trains before I could get back on again.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Jan 24th 2012 at 4:17 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I hope you understand that I'm talking(writing) tongue in cheek re. grass is greener and the nonsense from the candidates.

As for service I can think of a international store were they give outstanding service. Maybe it is because of the community I live in.

Hang on I'm being weighed down with all the 'lolly' I'm saving.

Lets see now..I can't afford eyeglasses. I can't afford teeth work...
Great prices, certainly cheaper then South Florida.

There are always "Buy on get one free", specials, or flyer discounts. To buy all our shopping, at discount prices, we would need to shop in 10 different stores. Most super markets, do loss leader items. Thats how they get us in the door.
Reg. Gas here is $3.50 -$3.80. Med/llogebaking size spuds, are almost a dollar each. Crappy cutbread is $4.49.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just nudged under $2.90.

If you can wing a membership (free) and can deal with the quantities, the Restaurant Depot has very good prices, better often than Sam's and a much bigger range.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 11:22 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by frrussre
Crappy cutbread is $4.49.

Reg. Frank R.
Bread is about £1.50 here!
Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boiler
Just nudged under $2.90.

If you can wing a membership (free) and can deal with the quantities, the Restaurant Depot has very good prices, better often than Sam's and a much bigger range.
There's a new RD opening in Nashville, reportedly on the 1st of Feb.! Shame we aren't in the food or non-profit business so we'd qualify for membership. From the website, looks really interesting, though. Sighhhhhhhhhhh........
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
There's a new RD opening in Nashville, reportedly on the 1st of Feb.! Shame we aren't in the food or non-profit business so we'd qualify for membership. From the website, looks really interesting, though. Sighhhhhhhhhhh........
or know somebody who is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.