Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I have just been legally mugged in Publix super market

I have just been legally mugged in Publix super market

Old Jan 22nd 2012, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have just been legally mugged in Publix super market

Originally Posted by robin1234
Maybe so, but for you, the glass always seems to be half full. Why can't you have a proper whinge, like a real UKian?

You just gave me a new word.......a UKian. I'm no longer a Brit I'm a UKian.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Prices are prices and you have to live with the prices that they charge.

However I live across from a Safeway that seems to have a moron as the manager of the produce section and all other employees don't seem to care. I purchase produce on special and when I checkout at the self checkout stands, about once a week, one of the items is priced incorrectly. I then notify the local supervisor that it was miss priced but he is usually busy and can't check the price for about 15 minutes later so I wait and wait. Finally he comes back and manually goes into the machine to give me credit and I walk out of the store with all my frozen food melted.

I finally got wise and when I see an incorrect price, I tell the local supervisor that I will be making a price check so don't let anyone think I left my items. I then go back and tear off the tag and bring it to the supervisor and he again manually goes into the machine to give me credit.

I've come to know most of the supervisors on a first name basis and I've asked them how this happens so often and he said it is likely that we have too much of that produce and it will spoil if they can't get rid of it quickly so the produce manager directs the employees to put reduced price signs on the produce but forgets to update the computer. By the next morning he has his long list of things he forgot to do and then updates the computer. However all those people that purchased those items and used the regular checkout stand where everything zooms past on the screens at high speed doesn't know they are getting over charged.

So I asked the local supervisor if he has weekly meetings with all the other managers and he said he did. I asked him if he could bring up this issue and see if it can be resolved. However it never got resolved.

Also the local supervisor doesn't have any authority to upgrade the system with the correct price but he doesn't even try to ring the produce manager on the phone but instead just lets the price the same to see how many more people will get screwed before the evening is over.
The store has a legal problem so if you could document these instances you can take them to an attorney and sue the pants off them. I know first hand because part of my job as an auditor was to take 20 randomly selected items off the shelves and check the prices and if they came up wrong the manager got written up. It is against the law to falsely advertise.
Another thing you should know in California is if they advertise something in the newspaper or ...they had better have it in stock or they get fined.
No bate and switching. You probably knew that......
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
The store has a legal problem so if you could document these instances you can take them to an attorney and sue the pants off them. I know first hand because part of my job as an auditor was to take 20 randomly selected items off the shelves and check the prices and if they came up wrong the manager got written up. It is against the law to falsely advertise.
Another thing you should know in California is if they advertise something in the newspaper or ...they had better have it in stock or they get fined.
No bate and switching. You probably knew that......
As someone else said, I'm retired so I have plenty of time on my hands. Also I live in the downtown area and prior to the Safeway opening up, all there was were small grocery stores in the downtown area but now I can walk to Safeway in a few seconds so I don't want to rock the boat and/or make the effort and get banned from that store and have to drive miles daily to get to a decent supermarket.

Besides I now watch closely at the prices and can generaly get the issue resolved in a few minutes.

Last edited by Michael; Jan 22nd 2012 at 5:23 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 5:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Or downward pressure on CEO remuneration?
You know that'll never happen
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 5:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You know that'll never happen
I've read academic papers demonstrating that lowered wages lead in main to higher CEO remuneration than lowered prices to the consumer. I would think my hypothesis would be difficult to investigate, though, because of a severe lack of data.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by frrussre
Sheepdip, I was not having a go at Publix, they are no worse then others. I notice even Costco, keeps creeping up the prices, some items are up 30-50%in last year or two. Costco membership, just going up.

Citibank, $15,000 minimum, to not pay monthly fees.

Comcast, AT&T landline, keep bumping up prices, McDonalds (Once a year) now cost $14+ for 2 crappy meals.

Food package sizes are getting smaller. A can of Tuna once 8oz, now 5oz & partly Tuna pellets.

I am surprised more people have not posted in this thread, guess most people are not bothered by whats going on around us.

Reg. Frank R.
Yes, we ARE bothered by what's going on around us!!! I, for one, just don't know what to do about it. The only thing I know to do is to shop each of the stores only for their reasonably priced products (i.e., "on sale") and do more "scratch" cooking. My boycotting certain products certainly doesn't work since all the major companies appear to be in bed with each other. It irks the snot out of me to note that the canned goods now have only 14.5 or 15 oz. rather than the original 16 (the basis for so many recipes in my mother's and Betty Crocker's cook books), but the prices have gone UP! The only grocery stores I can go to are either Wal-Mart or Kroger - there's no Safeway or SuperLo Foods in a decent area nearby, the nearest Publix is 175 miles east of us, Schnuck's has left the city, and the Whole Foods shop is over-priced shite!

So, tell me how to have an impact on food prices and other kinds of inflation. Write to my congressman? HAH! Tried to - messages wouldn't go through. Contact the stores? HAH! The store managers don't care, as long as they get their paychecks - the area managers are totally clueless and e.mails to the home office go unnoticed. Raising Cain in the store to get them to open more registers only gets you moved to a register manned by a "supervisor" to get you out of the store before you incite others to riot. There's no one in the produce department to point out the rotting and inferior fruit and vegetables to (this applies to both Kroger and Wal-Mart), and nobody in the Memphis area seems to give a crap about customer service!

We drove to Nashville and back yesterday to go shopping at Publix (who has quite a range of British foods - Kerry Gold butter, mushy peas, Heinz Baked Beans, HP Sauce, chocolate digestives, Carr's Ginger Lemon biscuits, etc.) just to find Kraft White Cheddar Mac & Cheese because it can no longer be located in the Memphis area. Publix' private label of that product is a good substitute, but others pale in comparison. The staff at that Publix (and 2 others in the Nashville area) have been cheerful, attentive, helpful and efficient every time we've been to any of them - contrary to what another poster indicated previously. Prices seem comparable to Kroger.

We buy very little Kroger meat - pork chops come from Aldi and I've become a convert to their ground beef as it's leaner, tastier and not as expensive.

My OH and I could go on and on - he, a whinging and moaning Brit and me a trappy American (as he puts it)! It does no good to turn a blind eye and ignore reality, "keep calm and carry on" or any other thing - we are sorely bothered but, like everybody else, frustratingly helpless to change it.

That do it for ya?
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Egg and Cress;9858532

My OH and I could go on and on - he, a whinging and moaning Brit and me a trappy American (as he puts it)! It does no good to turn a blind eye and ignore reality, "keep calm and carry on" or any other thing - we are sorely bothered but, like everybody else, frustratingly helpless to change it.

That do it for ya? [/QUOTE]

Hey, move because the grass is greener on the other side.

Watch the presidential candidates as they explain this is the greatest country on the earth.

Cheers.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone care to discuss this in terms of the consumer price index (CPI)? Is that index reflecting your observations or contradicting it?

I just looked at the CPI website ( http://www.bls.gov/cpi/#data ) but there seems a lot of data to digest.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
Hey, move because the grass is greener on the other side.

Watch the presidential candidates as they explain this is the greatest country on the earth.

Cheers.
OH and I both learned a long time ago, the grass is NEVER greener on the other side - but that doesn't keep us from recognizing the failings and faults of where we are. I'm old enough to have seen prices rise and quality diminish, along with quantity, and I resent the heck out of it. I'm old enough to remember when customer service was just that and people trained others in it. Smiles, "please" and "thank you", courtesy, kindness, and the "golden rule" were de rigueur and what went around, came around. I mourn the loss of the personal attitude that maybe would have made the price increases more tolerable.

As far as the presidential candidates explaining - or trying to maintain that we are still the greatest country on earth - as a USC, I have to wonder which rock they've been hiding under or which planet they've come from! It's still great, mind you, and I wouldn't want to live in Russia, or Kosovo, or China or Somalia or a lot of other places, but I want "my" country back......the one I was proud of. (Maybe what I really want is the blissful ignorance I had in my younger days?)
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Anyone care to discuss this in terms of the consumer price index (CPI)? Is that index reflecting your observations or contradicting it?

I just looked at the CPI website ( http://www.bls.gov/cpi/#data ) but there seems a lot of data to digest.
Neither my extremely intelligent and numbers oriented OH, nor I, can see any connection between the CPI and the reality of everyday living! I can only surmise that the "government" believes the people are "stupider than slugs" and will swallow anything "the government" puts out. We sat down one day and did the maths - our food, utility, clothing, medical, fuel costs went up by percentages that bore no resemblance whatsoever to the CPI figures!
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steerpike

I've just been to the site you give a link to; don't know if I'm not awake yet, don't have the required self-discipline to wade through it or just don't have the mental capacity to absorb it - but it is, as you say, a LOT of data to digest. I also think the word "obfuscation" fits perfectly here.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 1:50 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Grow your own, then freeze and can. I'm getting chickens in the Spring (really).
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Grow your own, then freeze and can. I'm getting chickens in the Spring (really).
Which is easier said than done, when you either don't have a garden, or you have a water ban.

Window boxes only go so far...though I think this spring we're going to try some inverted cans hanging above the sink at our new place as it gets more sun, for herbs and tomatoes.

And how expensive is a bag of soil these days? A tiny bag around here costs around $20, it's mental.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

You need to start clipping those Q's.

Or...find an Aldi

Actually, PUBLIX is supposed to work very well with coupons as they have a lot of B1G1 *and* you can use a coupon on each product.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't believe they are gonna cut the MBTA commuter lines at weekends! Do they think people don't work in Boston at weekends?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.