Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HSBC credit card

HSBC credit card

Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default HSBC credit card

Anecdotal data point -
Having had an HSBC credit card in the UK for four years (as a university student) with no late payments, I moved to the US and applied for a credit card over the phone to HSBC. They said they would take my UK payment history into consideration, although they did not take my British account number. After three days of 'pending processing', it was denied. So I guess I'll get a secured card.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice
Default Re: HSBC credit card

They don't normally carry it over. They may have taken over the history in some manner I don't know. I was told by AMEX UK for example that they would do this, but AMEX US told me no!

Thankfully, through my company I was able to get a card with HSBC premier when I first came over here. That helped my credit rating no end.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Undefeckable will become famous soon enough

Yeah, Unless you're an HSBC premier customer, there's no chance.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Undefeckable
Yeah, Unless you're an HSBC premier customer, there's no chance.
We're not HSBC customers - premier or otherwise but we got an HSBC credit card with a $10,000 limit by signing up to the AIG programme.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Undefeckable will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rebs
We're not HSBC customers - premier or otherwise but we got an HSBC credit card with a $10,000 limit by signing up to the AIG programme.
that's very interesting... how long have you been in the US?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Undefeckable
that's very interesting... how long have you been in the US?
Since July 08
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:27 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

We also got a HSBC credit card really easy.

I went in to see them about a car loan, we had a dormant UK account with them. The loan was denied but they offered me a credit card on the spot.

I also got my Amex transferred over, but with a much lower credit limit.

I think it just depends on the individual who deals with your request
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

AIG International Services are also arranging a credit card with HSBC for me - I need to supply a letter confirming employment etc from my company and they take care of the rest.

American Express run an official global transfer program that also takes over your credit history - see here:

http://www.americanexpress.com/globa...nsfer_en.shtml
Old Jan 26th 2010, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

paul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by EricK

American Express run an official global transfer program that also takes over your credit history - see here:

http://www.americanexpress.com/globa...nsfer_en.shtml
Can definitely confirm that - I had a UK Amex card, when I got here called up Amex Global Transfers and they called me back 24 hours later saying I was approved. I got the US card the next day. My credit limit was just under half that in the UK as I wasn't working when I first got here, but at least I could start building a credit history.

Last edited by paul_79; Jan 26th 2010 at 4:12 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

Follow on question from that... I have both an Amex charge card, and credit card. The global transfer scheme says that:

"You may only transfer one Card to the United States, until you have built up local credit history"

So which card would be most benficial to move first in terms of helping with US credit rating - charge or credit - or it doesn't matter?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

When I applied for my US Amex, they said to get a transfer you must of been a customer for at least 1 year (fortunately I was). I think that condition is a recent change as I am sure I remember folks posting on this board they were successful with just a few months history.

My guess is Amex have tightened up on these transfers. Its a great way to start off in the US.