Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HSA question

HSA question

Old Jan 18th 2018, 3:22 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default HSA question

I have an HSA as of this year but have a medical bill coming up that will exceed the current amount paid in. With my FSA. The account would pay out basically going negative until more payments into it covered the balance. Does this also happen with HSA and using that payment card?
Cheers
Old Jan 18th 2018, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSA question

I don't know the answer, but I had a similar bill recently and I got them to split the bill - I paid what I could with the HSA money and paid the rest out of my pocket.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 4:05 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
I don't know the answer, but I had a similar bill recently and I got them to split the bill - I paid what I could with the HSA money and paid the rest out of my pocket.
Did you get the amount you paid out of pocket refunded once sufficient balance in HSA?
Old Jan 18th 2018, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

To some extent, it will depend on the way the HSA account is run. However, there is no requirement to claim the bill from the account immediately that it's incurred.

This actually does go to extremes - if you can afford it, the most cost-effective way to use an HSA is to pay the medical bills with normal cash, let the account grow, store the bills for years or even decades, and then claim for all bills much later. This allows the HSA contributions, growth and payments to all be tax-free. The potential disadvantages are: 1. the risk of losing all the bills, and 2. the hassle to your heirs of claiming for them if you die before claiming.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

I always paid out of my own pocket in the early days when the funds available were not sufficient.
I know that I could have paid myself back when the HSA was more healthy, but did not. My aim being to keep the funds there and build them up to a decent amount so as to avoid the situation again.

Are all funds the same regardless of the bank they are held with? Will it be listed in the T&C of the account?
Old Jan 18th 2018, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

HSA cannot go negative.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I have an HSA as of this year but have a medical bill coming up that will exceed the current amount paid in. With my FSA. The account would pay out basically going negative until more payments into it covered the balance. Does this also happen with HSA and using that payment card?
Cheers
An HSA is your own personal account and can't go negative. An FSA, otoh, isn't really your "property" per se. Not only can it go negative -meaning that your employer, temporarily at least, picks up the tab, but you may forfeit balances under the "use it or lose it" provisions.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Did you get the amount you paid out of pocket refunded once sufficient balance in HSA?
I still haven't built up sufficient balance yet, I don't even know if I can anyway. My HSA company charges big one-off fees for doing anything other than personally paying by card, I think it is about $20 to get a cheque from them.

I'm upping my contributions this year, amazing how one event can eat it all up. I stupidly kept it low because I thought people might have attempted to improve the US healthcare system by now and it would become pointless.
Ha!
Old Jan 18th 2018, 6:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
I still haven't built up sufficient balance yet, I don't even know if I can anyway. My HSA company charges big one-off fees for doing anything other than personally paying by card, I think it is about $20 to get a cheque from them.
I have an HSA debit card.

Rene