Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How soon can I learn to drive?

How soon can I learn to drive?

Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud ofChris_UK2WI has much to be proud of
Default How soon can I learn to drive?

I failed my test twice in England and gave up trying (both times on roundabouts!... very pleased that I only saw one in all the times I have been to the US!)

I want to learn when I move over and I'm wondering how soon I can start?

I will be on a K1 visa and get married about two months after I arrive... Oh, and I will be in Wi if that makes any difference... been searching around for the answer but I can't find it
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How soon can I learn to drive?

Originally Posted by Chris_UK2WI
I failed my test twice in England and gave up trying (both times on roundabouts!... very pleased that I only saw one in all the times I have been to the US!)

I will be on a K1 visa and get married about two months after I arrive... Oh, and I will be in Wi if that makes any difference... been searching around for the answer but I can't find it
Look for secretary of States website for WI
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:39 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dmv.org/wi-wisconsin/apply-license.php

http://www.dmv.org/wi-wisconsin/locations-&-hours.php

Give them a call
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Don't come to Indiana then if you don't like roundabouts. There are quite a few in the town I live in and it is hysterical watching the American drivers navigating their way around them.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:58 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I would avoid DMV.org sites and use only the secretary of state sites as was pointed out in previous posts.

You can also google map search secretary of state in you area and they will show up!

@poppy; I didn't see your links before posting this message. I just dislike that site.

Also, where abouts in WI will you be living! You will pack thermals right?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:01 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

There's at least one roundabout in Madison that I know of! Silly buggers kept giving way incorrectly as I recall.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever you do........don't visit Mt. Horeb, WI. They have at least 5 roundabouts in town.

Jim.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:57 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
I would avoid DMV.org sites and use only the secretary of state sites as was pointed out in previous posts.

You can also google map search secretary of state in you area and they will show up!

@poppy; I didn't see your links before posting this message. I just dislike that site.

Also, where abouts in WI will you be living! You will pack thermals right?
Oh no problem I have used them before and never had a problem, no offence taken
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:35 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
There's at least one roundabout in Madison that I know of! Silly buggers kept giving way incorrectly as I recall.
while there are a number in residential streets, there are not so many in on main roads Washington.
the rule is to give way to the right
which means, whoever is on the roundabout has to stop.
but some of the ones i have seen on main roads seem to marked and constructed to give way on joining the roundabout, as you would in UK,
so I have not been surprised that some users dont know what to do.

odd that despite us driving on the opposite side of the roads, we both go round roundabouts anti-clockwise.

In washington I think I could book to take the test as soon as I had green card, for local id
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Probably as soon as you've gotten your EAD card.

Some states do have a requirement that if you don't have a license that you have a learners permit for x amount of months before taking the test, or if your under 21/25 whatever age they have.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:20 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
while there are a number in residential streets, there are not so many in on main roads Washington.
the rule is to give way to the right
which means, whoever is on the roundabout has to stop.
but some of the ones i have seen on main roads seem to marked and constructed to give way on joining the roundabout, as you would in UK,
so I have not been surprised that some users dont know what to do.

odd that despite us driving on the opposite side of the roads, we both go round roundabouts anti-clockwise.

In washington I think I could book to take the test as soon as I had green card, for local id
I sure hope not! In the UK you go round them clockwise.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:26 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

really! wow, forget more than I thought in the few years Ive been away.
I tried to visualise a few in my head and they were all going anti-clockwise.
I'd better drive slow if/when I return
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

and you don't stop on the roundabout to let people in...okay that's a mixed thing over here, you do on some but not others, so random....why follow the French with that one though?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:32 am
Ginger Monkey

Originally Posted by kimilseung
really! wow, forget more than I thought in the few years Ive been away.
I tried to visualise a few in my head and they were all going anti-clockwise.
I'd better drive slow if/when I return
I think you better had!

Although TBH, trying to drive around them anti-clockwise would be a bit tricky.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:33 am
Ginger Monkey

Originally Posted by Bob
and you don't stop on the roundabout to let people in...okay that's a mixed thing over here, you do on some but not others, so random....why follow the French with that one though?
In the UK you only stop to allow other cars on if there are traffic lights indicating so. Otherwise you just give way to the right.

Silly Frenchies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.