Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much or what do about cash on arrival?

How much or what do about cash on arrival?

Old Jul 27th 2014, 6:51 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much or what do about cash on arrival?

Originally Posted by md95065
It must be about 30 years since I last used a travellers cheque and it was my impression that they were virtually unusable in the U.S. because nobody knew what they were ...
I haven't used them in year either, but I always thought America was (at least in the day) the place to use them, that they could be used in places like restaurants and businesses. My mum told me she used them traveling around the States, using them as she went rather than the usual way of cashing them out at banks. this was a few decades ago. I am sure it is not like that any more.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 8:26 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't bring much cash, a few hundred I think. We opened a US bank account and then transfered money across. For big purchases before our real checks arrived we got checks drawn up at the bank. For smaller purchases we used our US credit cards, debit card and the checks without our address on that you get straight away.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Funstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
We didn't bring much cash, a few hundred I think. We opened a US bank account and then transfered money across. For big purchases before our real checks arrived we got checks drawn up at the bank. For smaller purchases we used our US credit cards, debit card and the checks without our address on that you get straight away.
Thanks mate. Perfect answer.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 12:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
It must be about 30 years since I last used a travellers cheque and it was my impression that they were virtually unusable in the U.S. because nobody knew what they were ...
Many (most?) businesses won't accept cheques these days, and I'm reasonably sure that would include travellers cheques. Also agreed, that most customer facing staff would not know what they are.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 12:39 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I haven't used them in year either, but I always thought America was (at least in the day) the place to use them, that they could be used in places like restaurants and businesses. My mum told me she used them traveling around the States, using them as she went rather than the usual way of cashing them out at banks. this was a few decades ago. I am sure it is not like that any more.
We're with Wells Fargo and I called them a couple of weeks ago to ask about TC's. The guy I spoke to didn't know what they were, and called his supervisor who told me they didn't do them, but to be honest, he didn't really sound totally sure.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

I found the easiest way was to use my NatWest debit card at local banks....They charged about $2 per transaction, as well as a small fee for exchanging the money.
I could get $800 a day doing this... and the transaction fee's the same whether you take $5 or $500.
Credit cards seem to charge more for cash than debit cards.... but getting large items with a UK CC works.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Ice card

How about 1 of these? I used them last year when I travelled America, very easy and no fees! I think travellers cheques are accepted everywhere aswel, not sure why people are saying they're not.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We're with Wells Fargo and I called them a couple of weeks ago to ask about TC's. The guy I spoke to didn't know what they were, and called his supervisor who told me they didn't do them, but to be honest, he didn't really sound totally sure.
My mum brought Travellers' checks with her one time. They were a nightmare, and she could only cash them at Wells Fargo because I had an account there. To say they were suspicious is a severe understatement. It took so long that I felt faint and had to sit down until my attack of the vapours passed.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
I think travellers cheques are accepted everywhere aswel, not sure why people are saying they're not.
Because they're not accepted everywhere. Even back in the 90s when I last used them there were plenty of places that wouldn't take them. The big decline in acceptance means less people are likely to buy them and so fewer places accept them, and so on.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 4:27 am
Just Joined

ExpatAussieInNJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: How much or what do about cash on arrival?

You will need money for several things in the first few weeks, such as buying new appliances (UK electricals don't work too well here in USA), and also if you are going to rent your accommodation here. Renting often requires 3.5 months rent up front to pay is month's rent plus security deposit plus realtor's commission. Rental money is usually not payable by credit card. You need cash or checks. If you don't bring the cash over with you, you will need to open a bank account pretty quickly here, and then transfer cash to the USA to be available for this.

Other expenses upfront can be for renting a car to drive around or for deposit on a leased car etc.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Because they're not accepted everywhere. Even back in the 90s when I last used them there were plenty of places that wouldn't take them. The big decline in acceptance means less people are likely to buy them and so fewer places accept them, and so on.
When you can use travellers pre-paid cards these days there is no need for them anyway. They are basically the modern day travellers cheque.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 3:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
When you can use travellers pre-paid cards these days there is no need for them anyway. They are basically the modern day travellers cheque.
When you can use credit cards almost universally anyway, a "travellers prepaid card" looks to me like a solution looking for a problem.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 3:53 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
When you can use credit cards almost universally anyway, a "travellers prepaid card" looks to me like a solution looking for a problem.
1 in 12 American households do not have bank accounts.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 4:06 pm

1 in 12 American households do not have bank accounts.
I'm gonna take a wild guess here that all of those 1/12 don't have passports and have no use for travellers cheques, or any replacement or substitute thereof.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 4:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not all places around where I am accept them, but plenty do...hotels and the like are a safe bet...probably because they're popular with the Brazilians that come over.

I wouldn't want to rely on them and cashing in at a bank will be a chore.

Visa gift card is much easier and less hassle, get one at any old bank or what not with any cash you bring as you can use the card for most things from parking metres to taxi's. Cash is still handy for toll roads though and some older taxi's etc.

Sure, you could use a credit card, but some charge a %/fee, HSBC have started doing it per purchase on their credit/debit cards for the phleb accounts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.