Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How long can I use my UK Driving License?

How long can I use my UK Driving License?

Old Jul 16th 2004, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

anyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really nice
Default How long can I use my UK Driving License?

Hi everyone,

I am moving to the US at the beginning of September, and was wondering how long I can use my UK driving license for?

My husband is American and I will need to be added to his insurance, but can he add me on with a UK license?

Help!

Thanks,

Kath
Old Jul 16th 2004, 11:07 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long can I use my UK Driving License?

Originally posted by anyone4tea
Hi everyone,

I am moving to the US at the beginning of September, and was wondering how long I can use my UK driving license for?

My husband is American and I will need to be added to his insurance, but can he add me on with a UK license?

Help!

Thanks,

Kath
From the Georgia DMV website:

"Georgia recognizes valid driver licenses issued to and held by residents of other countries as long as the "Out Of Country" license is valid. You do not need to apply unless you become a resident of Georgia."

HERE'S the full info.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone,

Help!

Thanks,

Kath
Legally? I don't know,depends on the state I think. I drove on my UK license for 9 months without getting a US one then when I got one it ran out and I could not get a new one because I did not have my green card so drove for another 3 months without one and I was fine. The big thing is you don't need a license at all, until you get pulled over which I never did in that time, I only got pulled over when I get my US license.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 11:55 pm
Visa in hand!!!

sohosid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
I drove on my UK license for 9 months without getting a US one then when I got one it ran out and I could not get a new one because I did not have my green card so drove for another 3 months without one and I was fine. The big thing is you don't need a license at all, until you get pulled over which I never did in that time, I only got pulled over when I get my US license.
Mental note....when I hit the States....avoid driving in Ohio.....
Old Jul 17th 2004, 12:26 am
Just Joined

miss millie is an unknown quantity at this point

If your Husband is in the USAF get a third Air Force driving license before you get here dont have to take a test then.
If not 30 days until you are supposed to get a Florida license
Old Jul 17th 2004, 3:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by miss millie
..... If not 30 days until you are supposed to get a Florida license
They must be a strange bunch down in Georgia - requiring people to get Florida licenses!
Old Jul 17th 2004, 3:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check Georgia DMV, each state has its own rules.

Insurance should not be an issue, no cost to add me to my USC wife's policy.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 2:23 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

We had no problem adding me to my husbands insurance with a UK license. Illinois DMV says 90 days driving with a foreign license but other states are sometimes different. The driving test here in Illinois is very easy. I waited far too long to take the written and driving test thinking it would be difficult. It really wasn't and the driving part took 15 minutes total. My son is on his way to take his written test to get a learners permit as I write this! Best of luck.

Maggie

Hi everyone,

Help!

Thanks,

Kath