Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to handle short-term lease financial timings

How to handle short-term lease financial timings

Old Feb 17th 2018, 12:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to handle short-term lease financial timings

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Pulaski has sent me an insulting karma message.

Certainly all the companies I work with all have different city guides outlining how the different areas of the country have different rental markets. it would be useful if the OP could let us know where they intend to move to.

I would like to reiterate, that I would NOT hand over thousands of $ for an unseen home, to an unknown landlord, from overseas.
Just to remind everyone...BE does not tolerate abusive PMs or karma messages. Anyone receiving such messages should forward or copy the message to the forum’s mod or BEVS.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Triz is an unknown quantity at this point

.... I would like to reiterate, that I would NOT hand over thousands of $ for an unseen home, to an unknown landlord, from overseas.
No, we don't intend to hand over thousands of dollars.

However, I am considering a small token pre-lease payment to secure the property though as I think the risk works both ways – otherwise the landlord carries the risk that we change our minds last minute.

This way, yes, we stand to lose a couple of hundred dollars if the property isn't as described and we bail from the agreement, but then that risk is probably worth taking when the alternative is spending 1000s on hotels trying to find an alternative when we arrive.

Are they employing a manager to look after the place?
Good question. Need to ask.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 1:53 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triz
Yeah –� that was certainly the original plan. But we're finding the selection of furnished apartments is pretty slim and worry we'll have trouble finding something comparable to this within a reasonable timeframe.

So reading between the lines, is the advice that – whatever the circumstances – I shouldn't sign a lease remotely? I was hoping there might be a way of hiring a verified professional who could broker a deal on our behalf.
a realtor can act on your behalf but they have limitations, the main one being that they can't get involved with a property that doesn't conform to the property code for your state. Your landlord may not want a realtor looking over the property and the realtor may not want to deal with short term contract. It may be too expensive for you.

You could search for a 'destination services consultant" for your city. They usually work freelance and usually work with mobility or destination services companies but you might find one that will work directly with you. They are in effect "your person" looking out for you and will usually have good contacts and resources locally.

I know you seem to be worried about not finding somewhere but don't you find it strange that this landlord isn't concerned about renting to someone not in the country, with no references and credit history, no employment and they will not be in the country when you arrive?

Interested to see how this works out but I am mightily glad that you aren't prepared to hand over more than a token sum in advance.

Ask the landlord to send you a copy of their drivers license before the skype call. Then you know that you really are speaking to the owner.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Interesting. Thanks for the tips.

don't you find it strange that this landlord isn't concerned about renting to someone not in the country, with no references and credit history, no employment and they will not be in the country when you arrive?
We don't know if they aren't yet.

We enquired online and they said they were having an open house and asked if we could make it. When we said we couldn't and explained our circumstances they suggested a Skype call. The landlord has quite a heavy online presence (not just social media), so it would be difficult to fake an identity but I think your suggestion about asking for a drivers license copy is a good one.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 6:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
If that is legal wherever the OP is going. California has limits (2 months; more if furnished) so potentially other states do, too.
Pretty much the same in MA.

The thing is, the tenant can offer to put more down. In a busy market, if you don't have the credit history, you'll simply be ignored. Why would the landlord take the chance when they might have 15 other people applying for the place, already with a solid US credit history and US references.

They're legally obliged to clear the snow and ice from outside steps and pathways to the driveway, and if it's a shared driveway, to clear that as well in MA, but I've only actually had that happen once, that wasn't in a condo complex.

If the market wasn't as fast paced, you have far more options to be picky and play by the rules, but if it is a quick market, you kind of have to just suck it up if you want a nice place.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 10:54 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Did you find somewhere?
Old Apr 10th 2018, 8:19 am
Just Joined

We did the virtual tour over Skype. It was overpriced and it turned out they were planning on constructing another unit in the front yard whilst we'd be there. Not ideal!

Instead, we've booked two weeks in an airbnb when we arrive to look for somewhere more permanent