Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"How Do you Eat Your Weetabix?"

"How Do you Eat Your Weetabix?"

Old Aug 17th 2004, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default "How Do you Eat Your Weetabix?"

Went to get my usual supply of British Goods and the Weetabix box has changed. This is some of the jargon on the box

"The brits have long been connoisseurs of this curious cereal, finding new and different ways it can be enjoyed. Some like to spread on peanut butter and others like to make it into a warm mush. If you like your Weetabix to stay naturally crisp longer, use milk sparingly, and pour alongside - not on top. Be creative and try your own recipes....." "Heat a biscuit in toaster oven, then spread with butter and jam." "Enjoy with yogurt and fresh fruit." "Mix with warm milk for baby pabulum".

Boring old me only has Weetabix with cold milk in the summer and hot milk in the winter.

By the way what is pabulum
Old Aug 17th 2004, 12:37 am
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "How Do you Eat Your Weetabix?"

Originally Posted by mandpete
Went to get my usual supply of British Goods and the Weetabix box has changed. This is some of the jargon on the box

"The brits have long been connoisseurs of this curious cereal, finding new and different ways it can be enjoyed. Some like to spread on peanut butter and others like to make it into a warm mush. If you like your Weetabix to stay naturally crisp longer, use milk sparingly, and pour alongside - not on top. Be creative and try your own recipes....." "Heat a biscuit in toaster oven, then spread with butter and jam." "Enjoy with yogurt and fresh fruit." "Mix with warm milk for baby pabulum".

Boring old me only has Weetabix with cold milk in the summer and hot milk in the winter.

Not sure of the exact translation but I'm sure you could replace the word 'pabalum' with 'mush' and it would be pretty much the same thing.

Noting strange explainations of British food, I saw on a bottle of malt vinegar that we Brits enjoy mint sauce made with said vinegar on our roast lamb and ham. Please let me know if anyone out there actually eats mint sauce with ham as I'm curious to know!

BTW I eat my weetabix with lots of cold milk and a little bit of sugar on top, one at a time and really fast so they don't go soggy

Emm.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 12:44 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

My nan used to sprinkle sugar on first then pour the milk over the top - my lil bro and I used to tell her off for doing this.

Love it with hot milk and sugar but haven't had Weetabix in absolutely ages!!

We also used to spread marge and jam on 'em too.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Where in heaven's name did you find this box? LOL I haven't heard that word pabulum in a very long time. I believe its another word for baby's milk, or formula. And peanut butter on Weetabix?? Ewwww!

Just read a bit more posts, yes I believe it might have been baby cereal mixed with formula? Don't know I'd have to ask my grandmother, geeze what an old term.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 2:45 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, sounds like a part of the body.

I have 2 weetabix with a dusting of sugar and a sprinkling of raisins. Add cold milk and Robert is your mother's brother. I used to love to let the UK style Weetabix go soggy but these US big-flaked Organic ones are best eaten quickly.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 3:58 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emm
BTW I eat my weetabix with lots of cold milk and a little bit of sugar on top, one at a time and really fast so they don't go soggy
The definitive way to enjoy Weetabix!!!
Old Aug 17th 2004, 5:02 am
finally home with thing1

thing2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha

Uncanny.

I introduced my wife to Weetabix when I moved here (to Michigan) and she really liked it. We picked up the new packaging box from Meijer the other day.

And this evening I was reading the back of the new box to her "The brits have long been connoisseurs of this curious cereal, finding new and different ways it can be enjoyed. Some like to spread on peanut butter ... etc"

Do any UK people really spread peanut butter on it ? Um, I think not.

Anyway. Worse than the new packaging and exaggerated description of the English eating style of Weetabix is the terrible new taste.

It now tastes like Shredded Wheat but less stringy.

My wife tried the old and new Weetabix back to back and told me they were different. She has a heightened sense of taste difference compared to me, and I thought she was exaggerating but damn if I didn't notice the difference for myself straightaway when I tried it.

Like the previous Weetabix we had, it is made in Canada, but the distributor has changed.

And so have the ingredients - it is now 'fortified' with a bunch of vitamins and the sugar and malt extract may or may not be the same thing.

We want our old Weetabix back please. It tasted much better and much more like the English one.

thing2 and thing1

Oh, and does anyone know where we can find the Weetabix Mini Crunch (used to be called Fruitibix) - the new US distributor seems to have stopped distributing them although if its like their 'new' Weetabix...
Old Aug 17th 2004, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thing2
Haha

Uncanny.

I introduced my wife to Weetabix when I moved here (to Michigan) and she really liked it. We picked up the new packaging box from Meijer the other day.

And this evening I was reading the back of the new box to her "The brits have long been connoisseurs of this curious cereal, finding new and different ways it can be enjoyed. Some like to spread on peanut butter ... etc"

Do any UK people really spread peanut butter on it ? Um, I think not.

Anyway. Worse than the new packaging and exaggerated description of the English eating style of Weetabix is the terrible new taste.

It now tastes like Shredded Wheat but less stringy.

My wife tried the old and new Weetabix back to back and told me they were different. She has a heightened sense of taste difference compared to me, and I thought she was exaggerating but damn if I didn't notice the difference for myself straightaway when I tried it.

Like the previous Weetabix we had, it is made in Canada, but the distributor has changed.

And so have the ingredients - it is now 'fortified' with a bunch of vitamins and the sugar and malt extract may or may not be the same thing.

We want our old Weetabix back please. It tasted much better and much more like the English one.

thing2 and thing1

Oh, and does anyone know where we can find the Weetabix Mini Crunch (used to be called Fruitibix) - the new US distributor seems to have stopped distributing them although if its like their 'new' Weetabix...
I just read my box of Weetabix and doesn't say anything that yours said. Its also made in Canada.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 6:08 pm
Brit'n'TX

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
My nan used to sprinkle sugar on first then pour the milk over the top - my lil bro and I used to tell her off for doing this.

Love it with hot milk and sugar but haven't had Weetabix in absolutely ages!!

We also used to spread marge and jam on 'em too.
spread thick with cold butter is the ONLY way ...

Old Aug 17th 2004, 6:23 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

I had weetabix this morning, always the same, always the same.

1. warm milk in microwave for exactly 2 mins.
2. slide in 2 weetabix.
3. Mush everything, making sure there is not 1 dry bit anywhere.
4. generous sprinkle of sugar.

By the way, I bought it in Super Target its the "organic" version, very bloody liberal, but I must say, I can't tell the difference, except my stools have loosened up a bit!
Old Aug 17th 2004, 6:43 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
I had weetabix this morning, always the same, always the same.

1. warm milk in microwave for exactly 2 mins.
2. slide in 2 weetabix.
3. Mush everything, making sure there is not 1 dry bit anywhere.
4. generous sprinkle of sugar.
Sounds exactly like I have it. I'm hungry for weetabix now, even though it's the middle of the afternoon
Old Aug 17th 2004, 6:47 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Occasionally I would mix Weetabix with a small amount of Shreddies or All-Bran

Then I would soak them with cold milk and mush it up, then I used my spoon to squeeze out the milk and drank it. After leaving the Weetabix a little while, I would eat it as a solid mass.

I have never used sugar on my cereal and dislike pre-sugared cereals.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 7:08 pm
Brit'n'TX

Originally Posted by Yosser
... my stools have loosened up a bit!
let's just file that under "too much information", shall we?

Old Aug 17th 2004, 7:19 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit'n'TX
let's just file that under "too much information", shall we?

He could just be not very good at DIY.

(File under 'worst joke in the history of the world')
Old Aug 17th 2004, 7:38 pm
Brit'n'TX

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
He could just be not very good at DIY.

(File under 'worst joke in the history of the world')
- nice one ...

a bad workman always blames his stools ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.