Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do I Ship personal items to US?

How do I Ship personal items to US?

Old Jun 21st 2004, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

mrloofer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I Ship personal items to US?

Hi,

I need to get my home theater system shipped to South Florida (since it'll probably be cheaper than buyng all the items again). This is basically a set of speakers, amplifier and sub-woofer. The heaviest item is the sub.

Any ideas on how I can ship this over? My parents are coming to visit so I was thinking of getting them to bring the items (probably 3 big boxes subwoofer may weight as much as 30kg) and settle the over charge on luggage at the airport. But I'm not sure if it will be more expensive than AirFreight.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Jun 21st 2004, 1:50 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I Ship personal items to US?

Originally posted by mrloofer
Hi,

I need to get my home theater system shipped to South Florida (since it'll probably be cheaper than buyng all the items again). This is basically a set of speakers, amplifier and sub-woofer. The heaviest item is the sub.

Any ideas on how I can ship this over? My parents are coming to visit so I was thinking of getting them to bring the items (probably 3 big boxes subwoofer may weight as much as 30kg) and settle the over charge on luggage at the airport. But I'm not sure if it will be more expensive than AirFreight.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Well, I am no expert, but when I was moving over here, I sought advice on this forum, and the consensus was that it was wiser to sell all electrical goods before you leave the UK and buy new here. For example, "1. The cost of all those adapters would be prohibitive.

2. The cost of shipping the appliances would be more than their
cash value (and possibly hard to insure against loss or breakage).

3. Whatever manufacturer's warranties they might have would be
invalidated.

Buy new -- buy better -- buy cheaper!"

Read some of these threads before you make your mind up.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=199008

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=168207

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=112852

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=235866

If you do decide to ship it, I would get good insurance on it! Hope this helps!

Debbie
Old Jun 21st 2004, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Great info! Great help!

I have a feeling these units run off 110v. I checked Seven Seas and it seems for 200UKP (sea) I can get them here. I will need to check the sizes of the items though.

I would sell and buy new. Problem is those devices are a good 5 years old now, but they've been sat gathering dust all that time. Maybe take the risk and get them shipped? I mean we're dealing with about 1500UKP ($2500) worth of stuff here.

Thanks!
Old Jun 21st 2004, 2:36 am

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

The only items you need to be concerned about with the voltage are your amp and the sub if it is an active sub. I brought my speakers and amp over, but they were shipped with the rest of our household goods. The amp is connected to a voltage converter and runs fine. I didn't have a sub to bring over and have bought one here instead (same make as my speakers - UK-based KEF).

I'm not sure I would want my speakers handled by airport baggage handlers...
Old Jun 21st 2004, 8:07 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Buy the stuff new here in the States. Even High end equipment is a fraction of the cost of UK equipment.
Just don't go for the "Theater in a box" packages, there pants.
As mentioned, the cost of shipping the equipment will probably be more than the replacement value.
You also have no voltage worries.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

sueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant futuresueanne has a brilliant future
Default Re: How do I Ship personal items to US?

Hi,

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
We too are moving to South Florida in few months time...were selling all our electrical equipment as it would cost more to ship over and then the voltage is different..
Air Freight ...expensive or WHAT!!!
Old Jun 21st 2004, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice
Red face Don't use UPakWeShip!

Hi,

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Whatever you decide, don't trust UPakWeShip with something that means anything to you! Had a very bad experience with my move and it is very difficult to get them to take any responsibility for it.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

I have decided to ship my stuff using Sevenseas.co.uk. They quoted me $140 to ship to port by air, time takes about 10-14 days. I thought this was great value.

Now, the question is, what about any hidden fees such as clearing customs etc. Any ideas?
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

THFC1 will become famous soon enoughTHFC1 will become famous soon enough

Now, the question is, what about any hidden fees such as clearing customs etc. Any ideas? [/QUOTE]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I shipped personal belongings over through BA Cargo to Newark. You have to clear the boxes through customs yourself which only costs $20. When you arrive at the cargo area they will tell you what you need to do.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

That simple eh?

Thanks!