Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do I remove 'temp visitor' from my NY Drivers License now I have a Green Card?

How do I remove 'temp visitor' from my NY Drivers License now I have a Green Card?

Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

helenjf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I remove 'temp visitor' from my NY Drivers License now I have a Green Card?

Does anyone know to to remove the wording 'temp visitor' with expiration date from my NY Drivers License now I have a Green Card? This expiration date is roughly 2 years prior to the expiration date of the license and occurs in August this year so I have some time to remove it, I just don't know how.

I've recently moved house and just changed my address online with the DMV both on their records and with the physical documents but I don't think they'll remove this statement (I'm still waiting for it in the mail) as to my knowledge they are unaware I have a green card now.

Any guidance or ideas are more than welcome.

Thanks
Helen
Old Jan 19th 2012, 11:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I remove 'temp visitor' from my NY Drivers License now I have a Green Card

Go to the DMV and show them your green card and have the legend removed.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Default Re: How do I remove 'temp visitor' from my NY Drivers License now I have a Green Card

Thanks. Can this be done on-line at all as my local DMVs have terrible opening hours?
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenjf
Thanks. Can this be done on-line at all as my local DMVs have terrible opening hours?
I had to go into my local office to get my changed, but I'm in a different state. Try the online thing, it'll soon let you know if you can't do it
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Ok thanks, I'll give it a go
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Probably have to go to the office...they don't like to make things easy, or pleasant

Anyway, be happy there's a office nearby...they've shut them all down in MA, so it seems, nearest one is 20miles in either direction, Boston, Worcester or Milford
Old Jan 20th 2012, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

You will likely have to go in to the office as they will probably want to see your physical PR card. It's definitely a pain.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 12:47 am
Just Joined

cryos is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you end up going in to do this? I have the same dilemma and came across your post while searching.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

My view is what's the point? I had a greencard for 5 years before I got citizenship and still had my social security card stamped with the "valid for work with INS authorization" or whatever it was. Twice I've gone 3.5 years with the wrong address on my drivers license because I moved shortly after getting a new one. My view is if you have done what's required of you by law then updating the actual document when you don't have to is kind of a waste of time and money.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 1:37 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
My view is what's the point? I had a greencard for 5 years before I got citizenship and still had my social security card stamped with the "valid for work with INS authorization" or whatever it was. Twice I've gone 3.5 years with the wrong address on my drivers license because I moved shortly after getting a new one. My view is if you have done what's required of you by law then updating the actual document when you don't have to is kind of a waste of time and money.
I assumed updating the address on a license would be a requirement.
WA gives you 10 days for address change, easy to do online.

Last edited by kimilseung; Mar 29th 2012 at 1:40 am.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I assumed updating the address on a license would be a requirement.
In Ohio it's not, you just have to update your record with the DMV. The actual license doesn't need to be updated until you renew.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
In Ohio it's not, you just have to update your record with the DMV. The actual license doesn't need to be updated until you renew.
Down this way, anyone that scans the license gets the updated info and you can just write on a scrap of paper and stick that to the license for an address change.