British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How do I remove 'temp visitor' from my NY Drivers License now I have a Green Card? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-do-i-remove-temp-visitor-my-ny-drivers-license-now-i-have-green-card-745590/)

helenjf Jan 19th 2012 10:59 pm

How do I remove 'temp visitor' from my NY Drivers License now I have a Green Card?

Does anyone know to to remove the wording 'temp visitor' with expiration date from my NY Drivers License now I have a Green Card? This expiration date is roughly 2 years prior to the expiration date of the license and occurs in August this year so I have some time to remove it, I just don't know how.

I've recently moved house and just changed my address online with the DMV both on their records and with the physical documents but I don't think they'll remove this statement (I'm still waiting for it in the mail) as to my knowledge they are unaware I have a green card now.

Any guidance or ideas are more than welcome.

Thanks
Helen

Rete Jan 19th 2012 11:15 pm

Re: How do I remove 'temp visitor' from my NY Drivers License now I have a Green Card

Go to the DMV and show them your green card and have the legend removed.

helenjf Jan 20th 2012 12:16 am

Re: How do I remove 'temp visitor' from my NY Drivers License now I have a Green Card

Thanks. Can this be done on-line at all as my local DMVs have terrible opening hours?

lisa67 Jan 20th 2012 12:17 am

Originally Posted by helenjf (Post 9853573)
Thanks. Can this be done on-line at all as my local DMVs have terrible opening hours?

I had to go into my local office to get my changed, but I'm in a different state. Try the online thing, it'll soon let you know if you can't do it:)

helenjf Jan 20th 2012 12:22 am

Ok thanks, I'll give it a go :)

Bob Jan 20th 2012 12:48 am

Probably have to go to the office...they don't like to make things easy, or pleasant :D

Anyway, be happy there's a office nearby...they've shut them all down in MA, so it seems, nearest one is 20miles in either direction, Boston, Worcester or Milford :lol:

Bluegrass Lass Jan 20th 2012 4:11 am

You will likely have to go in to the office as they will probably want to see your physical PR card. It's definitely a pain.

cryos Mar 29th 2012 12:47 am

Did you end up going in to do this? I have the same dilemma and came across your post while searching.

Duncan Roberts Mar 29th 2012 1:27 am

My view is what's the point? I had a greencard for 5 years before I got citizenship and still had my social security card stamped with the "valid for work with INS authorization" or whatever it was. Twice I've gone 3.5 years with the wrong address on my drivers license because I moved shortly after getting a new one. My view is if you have done what's required of you by law then updating the actual document when you don't have to is kind of a waste of time and money.

kimilseung Mar 29th 2012 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 9977840)
My view is what's the point? I had a greencard for 5 years before I got citizenship and still had my social security card stamped with the "valid for work with INS authorization" or whatever it was. Twice I've gone 3.5 years with the wrong address on my drivers license because I moved shortly after getting a new one. My view is if you have done what's required of you by law then updating the actual document when you don't have to is kind of a waste of time and money.

I assumed updating the address on a license would be a requirement.
WA gives you 10 days for address change, easy to do online.

Duncan Roberts Mar 29th 2012 2:28 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 9977852)
I assumed updating the address on a license would be a requirement.

In Ohio it's not, you just have to update your record with the DMV. The actual license doesn't need to be updated until you renew.

Bob Mar 30th 2012 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 9977895)
In Ohio it's not, you just have to update your record with the DMV. The actual license doesn't need to be updated until you renew.

Down this way, anyone that scans the license gets the updated info and you can just write on a scrap of paper and stick that to the license for an address change.